Spotify says Apple One bundle is a 'threat to collective freedom' [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Bart YBart Y Posts: 67unconfirmed, member
    what. the F. seriously... what is stopping Spotify from releasing a cloud based storage service and bundling that? 
    Money, money, money, which they don’t have and they don’t want to spend.  Plus the misguided belief that being a music streaming service only was their ticket.  Remember Apple being called a “one trick pony” “only an iPhone company?” over the last 4 years?

Apparently Spotify wasn’t listening.  They paid no attention when Apple bought Beats Music.  They did nothing when Apple said we’ll double our services in 4 years.  They even want regulators to do limit their competition.

Spotify is another Blackberry.

Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 54
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Level40ur said:
    Other app developers do this sort of bundling all the time (eg. Readdle, Adobe, Microsoft, etc.) what’s stopping Spotify from doing something similar through research and development of other complementary ancillary services and offering a bundled offering?
    They already do. I get the Spotify/Hulu bundle for $9.99 a month. And I believe there was a student bundle that included Hulu AND Showtime for $5 a month. So I don’t really understand how they justify this hypocrisy. 
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 54
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    It may not be a popular opinion here, but I like Spotify better than Apple Music.  Like so many others have said, Spotify has better playlists and I prefer their interface to Apple's.

I don't own a HomePod or anything that ties me to AM, so I choose Spotify.  
    I totally agree. I prefer the Spotify interface to Apple Music also. But I’ve been seriously considering switching over lately and this might be the final nail in the coffin. I’m just sick of all the whining and bitching about a competitor with half the subscription base. 

Can anyone recommend a good playlist transfer program or app?
    viclauyycwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 54
    In the past, competitors competed. Now they just moan like children that they have been bested.
    spotify, you have had plenty of time to get ahead and it's not Apple's fault that you became complacent.
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Beats said:
    darkpaw said:
    If Apple Music is only $2/month why should I, as a consumer, be forced to pay $10/month? Why don't Spotify compete at $2/month? Or $1.49, or $0, and then everyone will use them! Because Spotify would quickly go out of business. Apple is able to charge only $2/month because the total cost of all the services in the bundle still provides them with profit, making it a profitable option. Spotify cannot drop their price because they need it as it is. This just smacks of Spotify's management being d!cks.

Spotify does do $0 a month which hurts Apple and artists. Except Apple isn't crying about it.
    I meant $0 completely. No ads.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Spotify's Electron app is offensive to the environment as a native app uses less power.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 54
    This is just a wild guess, but I think that the number of people deciding to stop their Spotify subscription because they get a better deal with Apple One would be infinitesimal. 

When a person buys a new iPhone, I think he/ she would be inclined to try out the first party offerings before moving to third party options. There is nothing anti-competitive about it.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 54
    xyzzy01 said:
    tshapi said:
    Apple releases a bundle to attract more customers. Oh my God! It’s the end of Spotify were to greedy to lower or prices in competition!  

Given the state of Spotify profits, saying they are greedy would be pushing it... Most of their costs are licensing costs to the music industry (around 75%), so they're not free to lower it either.

Using a dominant position in one market to gain market share in another is usually considered bad - in particular, I guess bundling it with iCloud storage. If they just bundled it with AppleTV+ I don't think Spotify (or customers) would care.

The iOS platform is not a market!!! Mobile devices are a market, and Apple does not have a dominant position in that market. If Apple wants to offer apps or services to incentivize consumers to choose their hardware over a competing device... that's where the competition lies... not in the platform and not in the App Store, which is basically another value-added feature of the iOS platform.

Apple could offer 3rd party bundles instead, but that's entirely up to the 3rd parties. There's nothing stopping Spotify from partnering with other services to provide a bundle.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Apple One isn't a bad deal, but Apple Music and Apple TV+ are just awful. Even if I got them for free I'd still stick with Spotify and my other streaming services.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    larryjw said:
    Just another onerous bundling scheme. Cable TV used to bundle, what?, 260 channels?. 

And there are all these packages "for a low, low price of ....". 

So don't sign up for it?
    ronn
  • Reply 51 of 54
    coolerkid said:
    Apple One isn't a bad deal, but Apple Music and Apple TV+ are just awful. Even if I got them for free I'd still stick with Spotify and my other streaming services.
    These posts about people preferring and sticking with Spotify sort of spit in the face of Spotify's argument that Apple is anti-competitive.

"Choices are great!  Unless they hurt us...then they're anti-competitive.".
    - Spotify
    edited September 2020 ronnDAalseth
  • Reply 52 of 54
    mjtomlin said:
    xyzzy01 said:
    tshapi said:
    Apple releases a bundle to attract more customers. Oh my God! It’s the end of Spotify were to greedy to lower or prices in competition!  

Given the state of Spotify profits, saying they are greedy would be pushing it... Most of their costs are licensing costs to the music industry (around 75%), so they're not free to lower it either.

Using a dominant position in one market to gain market share in another is usually considered bad - in particular, I guess bundling it with iCloud storage. If they just bundled it with AppleTV+ I don't think Spotify (or customers) would care.

There's nothing stopping Spotify from partnering with other services to provide a bundle.
    And in fact they have done so, with Hulu.  That didn't seem to infringe on any "collective freedoms", whatever the hell that means.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Apple responded to Spotify's allegations: “oh do f@*k off”
     :D 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Does Spotify have a backbone? They're such whiny cry babies...waah, waah, waah!
    watto_cobra