Zuckerberg knocks rumored 'Apple Glass' tech, says HUDs are like 'putting an Apple Watch o...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Wednesday snubbed heads-up display and remote processing technology, systems Apple are rumored to adopt in a first-generation "Apple Glass" product, as inadequate for augmented reality applications.

Zuckerberg

Zuckerberg in an interview with The Verge explained that the transition from VR products like Facebook's Oculus series to portable AR setups will be an especially challenging problem for hardware manufacturers to solve.

Specifically, the AR experience will only be "good" when a pair of "normal-looking glasses" can project holograms onto real world scenes, he said. That level of sophistication will require significant computing power and is far beyond the capabilities of existing hardware.

"I don't think we're anywhere near getting all the electronics that you would need to get into a thin frame," Zuckerberg said. "But the hope would be that you can get it into more normal-looking glasses in the first part of this decade or the first half of this decade."

Facebook on Wednesday announced a next-generation untethered VR headset in Oculus Quest 2. The social media giant's VR arm also killed off the PC-connected Rift line of devices.

Apple is among a handful of major tech companies rumored to be working on head-mounted wearable displays. Some rumors suggest an initial version of the headset, dubbed "Apple Glass" by leakers, will feature a HUD-like interface as an intermediate step toward immersive environments. A report in late 2019 claimed Apple plans to release an AR headset in 2022, followed by a pair of smart glasses in 2023.

"The biggest shortcut that a lot of folks are trying to take is basically trying to not do full holograms in the world, and just show some heads-up information. I call that putting an Apple Watch on your face,'" Zuckerberg said. "I don't personally find that particularly compelling. It's not a product that we're particularly excited about making. Maybe someone else will make it. It doesn't fit the kind of social use cases that we primarily care about."

Whether Apple intends to rely solely on a HUD interface or integrate AR assets that are anchored in 3D space is at this point unclear. The latter can be considered a "true" AR system, but will likely require remote processing.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo previously predicted Apple to release a headset that offloads processing and other tasks to iPhone, leaving the glasses unit as a simple display. In May, leaker Jon Prosser added to Kuo's predictions, saying "Apple Glass" will boast a LiDAR module and support both physical and in-air gestures.

More recently, former Apple executive Jean-Louis Gassee in a speculative report published on Monday guessed that Apple would release a VR headset as a first foray into the world of mixed reality devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Zuckerberg seems intent on being the modern equivalent to Ballmer...
    edited September 2020 litoloopBeatscornchiphumanaftera11chiajdb8167williamlondongregoriusmlkruppGG1
  • Reply 2 of 37
    I love it how people knock an Apple product before its even on the market. Maybe he should go back and watch some Ballmer interviews about Apple products and then maybe he'll realize how much of an idiot he sounds like. What exactly has FaceBook done with Oculus since it purchased them other than release a shitty cheap version tied to your Facebook account? 
    litoloopiqatedoBeatscornchiphumanaftera11FileMakerFellermwhitechiajdb8167gregoriusm
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Why do the authors here insist on using a fake product name which Apple would NEVER use?
    lkruppwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 37
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Apple is killing the "i". Too bad because iGlasses would have been perfect.
    iqatedocornchipstevedownunderScot1chiablastdoorgregoriusmh4y3sDAalsethmattinoz
  • Reply 5 of 37
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Beats said:
    Apple is killing the "i". Too bad because iGlasses would have been perfect.
    The Apple trolls would have a field-day with "iGlasshole".
    jcs2305jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    I’m sorry, do people even pretend to listen to this guy anymore?
    mikeybabeswilliamlondonArloTimetravelerjahbladejeffharrisdewmecat52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 37
    The situation with Facebook is just the same as the situation with Epic. The users are running away, and they don’t know how to keep them back. The louder Zuckerberg is crying and playing dirty games against Appel, the clearly he is admitting: “It is going very bad with my company and I don’t know what to do!”
    mwhiteentropysblastdoorGG1ArloTimetravelerhcrefugeejeffharrismdriftmeyercat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Zuckerberg is bad mouthing Apple glass to make loyal Facebook consumers second guess the product when it is released so then buy some Facebook  product instead that tracks them. 
    cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    “We’ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent VR headset,” he said. “PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.”
    tobybeaglejdb8167blastdoorgregoriusmGG1cat52Rayz2016watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 37
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Zuck really is the innovator though. He knows what he's talking about......

P.S. Did anyone see the Occulus keynote pictured? He really thought he was Steve Jobs. lol
    edited September 2020 qwerty52StrangeDayscat52
  • Reply 11 of 37
    It will require iGoggles of the mere galactical kind to make Zuck look credible 
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Look at Apple's hardware.

Look at Facebook's hardware.

Thanks, demonstration over.
    Beatsqwerty52chiajdb8167aderutterblastdoorh4y3sGG1cy_starkmanArloTimetraveler
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Zach is so funny, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him. Yester it’ll Osteen, realize the tremendous brain power behind the Apple is many many years of innovation. Apple does it take these things lightly and would never deliver a half hours product anywhere close to has come out of “father sources. 
    I would encourage him to stick with what he knows best at his lifetime one: social networking and personal media/data collection.
    But it comes to technological forefront, innovation, no more consumers actually want his people rather than businesses, and for “the rest of us,” pleaser to Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Wah wah wah. We bought a VR company and now Apple looks like it’s going to up stage us with proper VR. All this and that dam privacy issue just wont go away no matter who we hire to try and clean up our image. 😩 😩 😩 
    aderutterEsquireCatsqwerty52hcrefugeecat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Facebook is a cancer and Z is its DNA. 

Apple’s push for data privacy rights is the chemo. That’s why Z is squawking. 

williamlondonEsquireCatsqwerty52chiaGG1hcrefugeeWgkruegerdysamoriaStrangeDayscat52
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Mocking it means they are afraid. Good.
    mac_dogwilliamlondonqwerty52gregoriusmchialkruppGG1hcrefugeedysamoriacat52
  • Reply 17 of 37
    I have an original consumer edition Oculus Rift.  It's a great piece of kit, a literal game changer.  However, I also now have a Valve Index, and it completely blows the Rift away. And with FB announcing the mandatory shift of my Oculus account to a facebook account, it's made the Rift worthless, IMO.  I'll have to see if I can get some sucker who loves FB to buy it used.
    chiadysamoriacat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 37
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    iqatedo said:

And what did the guy from Blackberry say about people NEVER giving up physical keyboards???
    cat52Rayz2016watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 19 of 37
    "Zuckerberg in an interview with The Verge explained that the transition from VR products like Facebook's Oculus series to portable AR setups will be an especially challenging problem for hardware manufacturers to solve. "
    And WTF does Zuckerburg know about manufacturing? His business is stealing data and selling it.
    edited September 2020 iqatedohcrefugeedysamoriakillroymattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 37
    iqatedo said:
    Exactly!  He does not know how to compete so he bad mouths an unreleased product.
    This is the same guy who sold the Facebook user DBs to Cambridge Analytica.

iqatedohcrefugeekillroyStrangeDaysJinTechwatto_cobra