Apple releases Safari 14 for macOS Catalina, Mojave users

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Wednesday released Safari 14 for current Macs ahead of an expected macOS Big Sur launch later in 2020.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The Safari 14 update comes shortly after Apple released iOS 14, iPadOS 14, tvOS 14, and watchOS 7 to the public. Apple's macOS Big Sur update, however, is still in beta testing.

Among other new additions, Safari 14 delivers customizable start pages, a new Privacy Report feature, and general performance enhancements. The update also squashes several bugs and security vulnerabilities in WebKit, including those related to cross-site scripting attacks and arbitrary code execution.

Users on macOS Catalina and macOS Mojave can download Safari 14 by heading to the System Preferences menu and clicking the Software Update button.

Apple's full release notes for Safari 14 are available below:
Safari 14.0 introduces new features, even faster performance, and improved security.
- New tab bar design shows more tabs on screen and displays favicons by default
- Customizable start page allows you to set a background image and add new sections
- Privacy Report shows cross-site trackers that are being blocked by Intelligent Tracking Prevention
- Removes support for Adobe Flash for improved security
Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.
For detailed information on the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Welp, guess I won't update until I can live without Flash...
    FileMakerFellerjohnbear
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Other browsers still support Flash.
    razorpitwelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I use Safari 14 since beta2 and is fine, but big surprise.....

In iPadOS 14 bundled Safari the Privacy Report which should show the cross-site trackers that are being blocked by Intelligent Tracking Prevention is NOT available. Now starting to understand Apples theory of PRIVACY IS A HUMAN RIGHT. This is valid only in PR statements!
    muthuk_vanalingamjohnbear
  • Reply 4 of 19
    0ID0 said:
    I use Safari 14 since beta2 and is fine, but big surprise.....

In iPadOS 14 bundled Safari the Privacy Report which should show the cross-site trackers that are being blocked by Intelligent Tracking Prevention is NOT available. Now starting to understand Apples theory of PRIVACY IS A HUMAN RIGHT. This is valid only in PR statements!
    Your logic is ... interesting. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I wonder why, in 2020, you still need Flash for... not even Adobe is using it anymore!
    doozydozencommentzillarazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    That's what Virtual Machines are for!
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19

I wonder why, in 2020, you still need Flash for... not even Adobe is using it anymore!
    DIE FLASH DIE!
    razorpitfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Can anybody tell my how to get my Top Sites back?

Until that happens I'm seriously underwhelmed. 

:/ 
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Using System>Software Update- "Other updates are available" 

Safari 14 won't download for me. I get "an error occurred" or message about not being connected to the internet. Tried reboot, etc. Any ideas?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    RV8 said:
    Using System>Software Update- "Other updates are available" 

Safari 14 won't download for me. I get "an error occurred" or message about not being connected to the internet. Tried reboot, etc. Any ideas?
    Either make sure you’re connected to the Internet or wait a day until their servers are a bit less slammed by downloaders.
    edited September 2020 razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Sorry Apple, but you are late to the game. I dropped support for Flash over 10 years ago.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Well, I was hoping that this Safari update would solve my (and many others) problem with reading my icloud mail. But I am still getting the pop-up message, "Cannot load message." This is very frustrating and time-consuming because it takes several attempts to finally see the mail.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Installed. So far nice - faster for sure. Haven't run into any Flash probelms, but I'll use Firefox for that if needed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Dunwerkin said:
    Well, I was hoping that this Safari update would solve my (and many others) problem with reading my icloud mail. But I am still getting the pop-up message, "Cannot load message." This is very frustrating and time-consuming because it takes several attempts to finally see the mail.
    Why not just use Mail.app instead of the browser?
    edited September 2020 watto_cobradjames4242
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    Upgraded to ver. 14 and now I can’t see images in Padlet.com.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    linkman said:
    Sorry Apple, but you are late to the game. I dropped support for Flash over 10 years ago.
    Apple...is “late to the game”? 

They dropped support for Flash THIRTEEN YEARS AGO on the original iPhone. 

You don’t remember the shitstorm? Steve Jobs’ “Thoughts on Flash”?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    spheric said:
    linkman said:

Yes, they didn't put it on the iPhone 13 years ago but kept support for it on the Mac. I haven't put it on any of my devices for more than 10 years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    linkman said:
    spheric said:
    linkman said:

Yes, they didn't put it on the iPhone 13 years ago but kept support for it on the Mac. I haven't put it on any of my devices for more than 10 years.
    So you were late for the party? ;-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I’m liking safari 14.

When I visit Apple or Eve sites, zero trackers. Most other sites have between 6 and 60, with several from google and Facebook always in there.

I like the thought of denying Goog and Zuck their tracking information 😈

I was surprised Shazam has a few after being acquired by Apple for quite a while.