Apple One will manage users with multiple Apple IDs, but questions remain

Posted:
in General Discussion
The newly announced Apple One services bundle could manage users who have multiple Apple IDs for different services, but the exact details of the support are still unclear.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Initially, the iTunes Stores and Apple's cloud services were managed separately. Because of that, users may have different IDs attached to their iCloud and Apple services like Apple Music.

> One such person is Microsoft Senior Cloud Advocate Christina Warren, who brought up the issue in a Tweet on Sept. 15. A day later, Apple's Chris Espinosa responded simply that Apple One "manages that," adding that he double-checked.

It manages that. I just double-checked.

-- Chris Espinosa (@cdespinosa)

Espinosa was one of Apple's first employees and helped pioneer the Family sharing feature, which deals with multiple Apple IDs. Of course, Espinosa's answer was fairly short on detail, so it isn't entirely clear what he means just yet.

Some Apple One tier, by their nature as a shared service, will allow support for multiple Apple IDs. Whether or not Apple will allow multiple IDs to be consolidated into a single account, or whether they'll take up additional "slots" on an Apple One plan, remains to be seen.

Apple One -- announced at Apple's "Time Flies" event -- bundles various Apple services together at different but lower price tiers, allowing users to save money on multiple subscriptions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I hope this is true as I have separate IDs for the iTunes Store and iCloud. I tried to get them consolidated years ago but no luck. Fingers crossed. 
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Use ONE account guys! Why do you make it so hard on yourselves?
    doozydozenlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Beats said:
    Because they may have already signed up for an old service and Apple offered a new service which required a different account? 
    dewmedoozydozenwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Family sharing is the way to deal with this. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Beats said:

Not so simple for those of us who have been doing this for a while and have families. Back when there was only iTunes and iPods, you only needed one iTunes account. The whole family could rip their CDs, buy songs, manage their playlists and then plug their iPod into the computer and get only their music.That one account was all you needed. Kind of like having a telephone landline with a single phone number that everyone shared.

As the iPhone was introduced and things evolved and each user started to need their own account, Apple still let you use a different account e-mail for iTunes content. Each person could have their own iCloud (or predecessor) account and still have access to all the content they purchased over the years.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I hope they can make this work. My wife and I for many years used only one Apple ID between the two of us and it worked fine. As iOS advanced and we began using more services, things got confusing. One thing I remember is Messages lost the ability to tell us apart on different devices. My messages started identifying me as her etc. So I had to create another Apple ID, which for us is less than ideal. However, if we could combine multiple IDs into one managed entity, that might help.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Beats said:
    You think people are doing this voluntarily?  This mess was created by Apple when it required people to have separate accounts for .Mac and iTunes, then decided to merge those services into iCloud without providing people a way to merge the purchases under each account. 
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    welshdog said:
    I hope they can make this work. My wife and I for many years used only one Apple ID between the two of us and it worked fine. As iOS advanced and we began using more services, things got confusing. One thing I remember is Messages lost the ability to tell us apart on different devices. My messages started identifying me as her etc. So I had to create another Apple ID, which for us is less than ideal. However, if we could combine multiple IDs into one managed entity, that might help.
    Family Sharing pretty well solves this. Assuming both you and your wife use (or can use) the same credit card for purchases. You both have your separate accounts, music, playlists, etc. but if there are music, books, or apps that both of you want, you can share those purchases so you don't need to buy any of them twice. This is what I did with my and my wife's account. (Note: most apps seem to allow sharing, but not all of them do).  I have not yet set up sharing on iCloud storage (but it is nice that I can keep it separate). Right now, I have the 50GB and she has the default free 5GB.

The problem I run into is regarding the requirement for the same credit card on a Family Share account. I was considering adding my adult daughter and my in-laws to the Family Share, but everyone wants the freedom to manage their own payments for the music, books, and apps they want separately because they don't want me paying for everything (aren't they nice?), and dealing with reimbursement is a bother. Now that the Apple One bundles are coming, I'll have to think a little more about this. 
    welshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    flydog said:
    Beats said:
    You think people are doing this voluntarily?  This mess was created by Apple when it required people to have separate accounts for .Mac and iTunes, then decided to merge those services into iCloud without providing people a way to merge the purchases under each account. 
    As someone who has been voluntarily keeping my content purchases seperate from my email, calendar etc, this wasn’t to make things hard. It was to allow me to secure the two aspects of my Apple interactions with seperate security settings. Thus, if one gets compromised with any luck the second will remain untouched.

It also meant I could add my Calendar and Contacts to my work machine where the policy is that the company controls what software is installed and how it is licensed.  

For a long time this was made even better by the fact the email and account ID did not need to match so my ID for one account was a long defunct email address making breaking that account that much more difficult. 

Now, I’m the first to admit I might be overdoing it, but when I look at the issues my friends and family have had it’s been a breeze in comparison. 
    john.bappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    From the bad record of family sharing, I don’t trust Apple One. At least not now. 
    Min Family Sharing, you can’t buy anything with your own credit card, you have to use the organiser’s. When you leave the family, you need to re-purchase everything that were shared. It not sharing, it’s just a deferred payment.

Mulitple Apple IDs? from multiple countries please! 
    edited September 2020 techno
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Beats said:
    For me it was to share iTunes purchases with my wife before there was family sharing and iPhones existed. When we purchased our first iPhones I realized we needed separate Apple  IDs for the phone and it was allowed to share our common Apple ID for iTunes purchases in iOS. Once family sharing came, we shared the iTunes account but it counts as one of the users (Max 6 I believe). 

john.bBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    This is one article where the comments section is more informative than the article itself. Thanks guys!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Family sharing is the way to deal with this. 
    The way I have used the Family sharing to deal with my two Apple IDs is by having an old phone that has the original iTunes account. I have named it Organizer. Then on my all of my other devices, I am logged in with both IDs (depending on service obviously). For family sharing I am just another family member. So basically there is a 5th ghost member of the family.

I always wonder with each release of a new service, will I be locked out of using it because I have two IDs?

I would love to end this nightmare of tangled IDs. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20

The problem I run into is regarding the requirement for the same credit card on a Family Share account. I was considering adding my adult daughter and my in-laws to the Family Share, but everyone wants the freedom to manage their own payments for the music, books, and apps they want separately because they don't want me paying for everything (aren't they nice?), and dealing with reimbursement is a bother. Now that the Apple One bundles are coming, I'll have to think a little more about this. 
    I noticed recently when I was doing some tweaking on my wife's computer that I could add a second credit card to her payment options for her Apple ID (using Family sharing). I did not have time to delve farthing into it. Can one set a default card? Does it give you the option to choose which card with each transaction?

Anyone else have experience with that?
    edited September 2020 roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Any indication if iCloud will still be available solo and no cost for basic?
    Thanks,

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    How do you find out if you have 2 different Apple IDs?  It is unclear to me whether my @Mac.com, @me.com and @iCloud.com are the same or different.  Sometimes when I am buying products on Apple.com the order confirmation does not go to my .Mac account.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    techno said:

I noticed recently when I was doing some tweaking on my wife's computer that I could add a second credit card to her payment options for her Apple ID (using Family sharing). I did not have time to delve farthing into it. Can one set a default card? Does it give you the option to choose which card with each transaction?

I researched a bit more and found some info in an Apple Discussions post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8518004?answerId=33818687022#33818687022

While it's true that you can have several payment methods for Apple ID, on Family Share accounts, all purchases only go to the one card that is set by the Family Organizer as default. The default can be changed by the Organizer, but it is always only just the one default that all individual purchases get charged, with no choice by individuals to change it. HOWEVER, if an individual has "money" in their Apple ID balance, that will be used first, before the Organizer gets charged. So there is a way for individuals to pay for their own stuff*. Individuals can add to the balance either by use of an Apple gift card or by adding money with the method described here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208687 (I haven't tested the "add money" method, so I can only assume that the individual will be prompted to choose their own payment card). As the Discussion post states, if the individual's balance is depleted, then the charge goes to the Organizer...

*There is another "however" here: Subscriptions like iCloud Storage and Apple Music are always paid for by the Organizer. Since these new bundles are all subscribed services, looks like I'd be on the hook for those. Oh well. So how nice am I? 
    o:)  or  >:)  (I think app subscriptions still come out of individual's balance).
    tenthousandthingswatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 18 of 20
    techno said:

I researched a bit more and found some info in an Apple Discussions post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8518004?answerId=33818687022#33818687022

While it's true that you can have several payment methods for Apple ID, on Family Share accounts, all purchases only go to the one card that is set by the Family Organizer as default. The default can be changed by the Organizer, but it is always only just the one default that all individual purchases get charged, with no choice by individuals to change it. HOWEVER, if an individual has "money" in their Apple ID balance, that will be used first, before the Organizer gets charged. So there is a way for individuals to pay for their own stuff*. Individuals can add to the balance either by use of an Apple gift card or by adding money with the method described here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208687 (I haven't tested the "add money" method, so I can only assume that the individual will be prompted to choose their own payment card). As the Discussion post states, if the individual's balance is depleted, then the charge goes to the Organizer...

*There is another "however" here: Subscriptions like iCloud Storage and Apple Music are always paid for by the Organizer. Since these new bundles are all subscribed services, looks like I'd be on the hook for those. Oh well. So how nice am I?  o:)  or  >:)  (I think app subscriptions still come out of individual's balance).
    Thank you! That’s very useful information.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    doggone said:
    How do you find out if you have 2 different Apple IDs?  It is unclear to me whether my @Mac.com, @me.com and @iCloud.com are the same or different.  Sometimes when I am buying products on Apple.com the order confirmation does not go to my .Mac account.  
    I don't think it is possible for your Mac/me/iCloud addresses to be separate Apple IDs. Because if you have all three addresses, you have maintained a continuous .Mac/MobileMe/iCloud account from 2008 to now. So whatever problem you're having, it's not that.

Here are the criteria (as of 2016) for having all three addresses: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201771

There are two ways to sign into iCloud, using the iCloud address and using the Apple ID associated with your iCloud account. In my case, my Apple ID is my Mac.com address, but the "primary email" used for notifications is the me.com address. I'm sorry, but I'm unwilling to experiment with changing those settings, since everything works perfectly for me in a home with multiple Mac/me/iCloud accounts used for different purposes.

https://appleid.apple.com/

The support page is here:

https://support.apple.com/apple-id

The point of this AI article is that some of these things, which have been stable since 2012, may be changing with Apple One, especially with regard to iCloud. It should all work seamlessly, but you never know. I know in my case I have multiple iCloud accounts that I pay for increased storage on, and obviously I'd like to consolidate them all into "One" ...
    edited September 2020 watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    techno said:

The problem I run into is regarding the requirement for the same credit card on a Family Share account. I was considering adding my adult daughter and my in-laws to the Family Share, but everyone wants the freedom to manage theirj own payments for the music, books, and apps they want separately because they don't want me paying for everything (aren't they nice?), and dealing with reimbursement is a bother. Now that the Apple One bundles are coming, I'll have to think a little more about this. 

I think I was in Apple Support last week with a similar question. 

I wanted to move the Apple Music (family) subs to the joint credit card, but it can’t be done without changing the default credit card on the account holder. 

No idea why Apple won’t allow you to set the credit card when you open a subscription. 

Well, actually you can set it, but when it comes to take a payment, it always takes it from the default card, no matter what you set when you started the subscription. 

That’s a bit rubbish.