Here are the 217 Emoji arriving on the iPhone and iPad in 2021

Posted:
in iOS
Following the introduction of new emoji as part of the recent launch of iOS 14, attention has turned to a new batch of 217 emoji characters that have been approved by the Unicode Consortium, which will be available to use on iPhones in 2021.

Some of the 217 emoji included as part of Emoji 13.1 arriving on iPhones in 2021 [via Emojipedia]
Some of the 217 emoji included as part of Emoji 13.1 arriving on iPhones in 2021 [via Emojipedia]

The approved symbols reflects a relatively minor release by previous standards, as it is a partial release for version 13.1 and not Emoji 14. The Emoji 14 release has been delayed until 2021, which equates to its inclusion in iOS in 2022.

Emoji 13.1, as previewed by Emojipedia seems to be substantial with the 217 characters, but in fact it is made up of far fewer symbols. The vast majority of the characters are repetitions, to take into account different combinations of skin tone.

The core symbols in the version without skin variations are a heart on fire, a heart in bandages, a face in clouds, a face exhaling, and a face with spiral eyes.

The rest featuring skin tone changes are for a man or woman with a beard, and a considerable number of variations of "Couple with Heart" and a couple kissing.

For the current version, Emoji 13.0, Apple has already rolled out the symbols to users, which can be included in Messages conversations and other text-based apps. The 117 symbols include gender-inclusive characters, new animal options including a black cat and a mammoth, and food emoji such as the bell pepper, flatbread, and a tamale.

All 217 emoji combinations in Emoji 13.1 [via Emojipedia]
All 217 emoji combinations in Emoji 13.1 [via Emojipedia]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    We still need a sad hug emoji expressing sympathy. The happy face hug isn’t appropriate when there’s bad news. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 2 of 11
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Jesus finally made it!   o:)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I'm waiting for an emoji that represents an exasperation that there are too many emojis. The vast majority of people only use the same 10 as everyone else. I bet there are some that have only ever been used once or twice worldwide in things that aren't just listings of emojis.
    hodarrazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Still no bald man with beard and ponytail (:I>j 
    razorpit
  • Reply 5 of 11
    No mention of the lawsuit(s) that Apple are facing. Apple is alledged to have used lots of Emoji's without permission.

I'm not up on Emoji's but aren't they submitted to ISO so that they can be used on different platforms or do users get a message 'the resuired emoji is not supported on this platform' ?

• Reply 6 of 11
    elijahg said:
    I'm waiting for an emoji that represents an exasperation that there are too many emojis. The vast majority of people only use the same 10 as everyone else. I bet there are some that have only ever been used once or twice worldwide in things that aren't just listings of emojis.
    We need an emoji that says “I hate emojis.” 
    elijahg
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Do we really need a 100 different emojis for one race / gender loving another race / gender?  There could be no end to it.  So lame.  
    elijahg
  • Reply 8 of 11
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    No mention of the lawsuit(s) that Apple are facing. Apple is alledged to have used lots of Emoji's without permission.

I'm not up on Emoji's but aren't they submitted to ISO so that they can be used on different platforms or do users get a message 'the resuired emoji is not supported on this platform' ?

It's the unicode consortium that comes up with new emojis and reference images. It's up to vendors to implement the emojis themselves, including their own pictures. I'm not up to speed on the lawsuit but sounds like they should be going after the unicode consortium, not Apple. That is assuming the small chance that it's not a frivolous suit.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    dbvapor said:
    Do we really need a 100 different emojis for one race / gender loving another race / gender?  There could be no end to it.  So lame.  
    Yeah, why do we have words to describe different types of people? So many letters!
    macgui
  • Reply 10 of 11
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    Hank2.0 said:
    Still no bald man with beard and ponytail (:I>j 
    The George Carlin emoji, in other words. 
    CluntBaby92
  • Reply 11 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    All these emojis and I can never find one that expresses what I want. Most all are a little to a lot extreme.