'The Morning Show' wins Apple TV+ its first Emmy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Apple TV+ has won its first primetime Emmy as Billy Crudup won for his performance in "The Morning Show."

Billy Crudup, in Apple TV+
Billy Crudup, in Apple TV+ "The Morning Show"

Having gained Apple TV+ its first-ever award in January 2020, Billy Crudup has now earned the streaming service its first primetime Emmy for the same performance. Crudup took the award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his performance in "The Morning Show."

"This is a pretty incredible experience," said Crudup as he received the award during the socially-distanced ceremony. The actor thanked the creators of "The Morning Show," his co-stars, "and the people at Apple" for giving him this role.

"I knew the second I got this part that it was something to be fortunate about, so I've tried to thank everybody who's been involved in this project, and in my life, in supporting and loving me, already, so if I haven't thanked you, please call me, yell at me, because I've been meaning to and it has taken an army of support."

Apple TV+ received 18 nominations, which is remarkable for the first year it was eligible for these awards. It means Apple TV+ scored 11.25% of all the Emmy nominations in 2020

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Here is how you would write this story as a screenplay:

Apple Executive: Dear Hollywood, we tried really hard to beat all the other streamers out there with a very limited range of expensive, highly engineered content

Hollywood  Establishment: Dear Computer Industry Intruder, we don’t like deep pocketed, unapproved upstarts invading our turf. So what if you spent bucket loads on your projects and got 18 nominations. Just take the nominations and this single win in the way it was intended, as a participation trophy.

Apple Executive: [says nothing, looks shocked and crestfallen]

Hollywood Establishment: And stay off our lawn!
    edited September 2020 WarrenBuffduckhmobird
  • Reply 2 of 18
    entropys said:

Apple Executive: Dear Hollywood, we tried really hard to beat all the other streamers out there with a very limited range of expensive, highly engineered content

Hollywood  Establishment: Dear Computer Industry Intruder, we don’t like deep pocketed, unapproved upstarts invading our turf. So what if you spent bucket loads on your projects and got 18 nominations. Just take the nominations and this single win in the way it was intended, as a participation trophy.

Psshht. Another win for Tim, who’s only there for the money, or because of the money...
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 18
    entropys said:

This might be a better story for the Oscars.. it's the wrong logic for the Emmys. Especially since they had opened to online-only shows 7 years ago and the winners are decided by peer voting. E.g. The same people who get hired to make these shows are the people casting votes.
    d_2CloudTalkinRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    I think it’s probably more to do with the fact that the morning show, along with the rest of AppleTV+ content, was and is a bit meh.  They were never going to be Netflix overnight no matter how much money they threw around, and sure enough the service is still very far behind the competition.  And I say this as someone who, inexplicably, still pays a sub to watch it.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 18
    petri said:
    I think it’s probably more to do with the fact that the morning show, along with the rest of AppleTV+ content, was and is a bit meh.  They were never going to be Netflix overnight no matter how much money they threw around, and sure enough the service is still very far behind the competition.  And I say this as someone who, inexplicably, still pays a sub to watch it.
    If you match the best of the best from each of the services, Apple TV+ is right up there.  The only way Netflix is better is in depth.  Apple's win-rate is much, much higher than Netflix's.  Netflix has dozens, maybe hundreds, of mediocre or worse shows.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    petri said:
    If you match the best of the best from each of the services, Apple TV+ is right up there.  The only way Netflix is better is in depth.  Apple's win-rate is much, much higher than Netflix's.  Netflix has dozens, maybe hundreds, of mediocre or worse shows.
    Apple could sweep the boards at every awards gig from now until the end of time, and the naysayers will always find an excuse to say nay.  🤷🏾‍♂️  

tmayBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Good for Billy Crudup, but have to give it up for Schitt’s Creek for cleaning up in the comedy category with 7 wins.
    CloudTalkinMacQuadra840avtmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    One Emmy win means absolutely nothing.  These are 'awards' given out by a bunch of self-absorbed egotistical people patting each other on the back.  Even that asshat Kimmel had the nerve to say he felt like he was locked up in prison during quarantine...in his multi-million dollar mansion.  Yeah, must have been so rough for him while millions are still out of work and small-businesses are closing for good.

Sorry Apple...your AppleTV+ service offers nothing of value to watch.  A handful of over-priced and over-produced original content that is actually pretty boring.  Hilarious that Apple was overly hyping Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Corell, yet none of them got an Emmy nom.  Instead, some guy that no one has ever heard of got a participation trophy.

We will see how many 'subscribers' drop once their yearly free trial expires.  Now Apple is overcharging for iCloud storage and throwing in their 'services' because they know they are not worth paying for on their own.  $30 a month for 2TB of storage is nothing but a cash-grab.  
  • Reply 9 of 18
    It seems that CBS (together soon with Paramount) are the only major US media companies in bed with Apple TV+. I wonder if this gives them (both) a good stream of revenue. If not, I wonder if Apple has its eye on purchasing a media company. Apple's cash on hand is 206 billion, and Disney's market cap is 226 billion. These two companies have a lot in common. And Apple has a lot to fear from Disney, so they might buy them now to avoid the competition.

Disney's logo is a castle with a semicircle over it. If Apple bought Disney, the logo would probably change to a castle with a multicoloured rainbow over it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    Instead, some guy that no one has ever heard of got a participation trophy.

We will see how many 'subscribers' drop once their yearly free trial expires.  Now Apple is overcharging for iCloud storage and throwing in their 'services' because they know they are not worth paying for on their own.  $30 a month for 2TB of storage is nothing but a cash-grab.  
    Billy Crudup has been doing great stuff since "Pre". As far as a "cash-grab", yeah, so is a $90 K car with a three-pointed star on the hood. You're free not to.

It seems that CBS (together soon with Paramount) are the only major US media companies in bed with Apple TV+. I wonder if this gives them (both) a good stream of revenue. If not, I wonder if Apple has its eye on purchasing a media company. Apple's cash on hand is 206 billion, and Disney's market cap is 226 billion. These two companies have a lot in common. And Apple has a lot to fear from Disney, so they might buy them now to avoid the competition.

Disney's logo is a castle with a semicircle over it. If Apple bought Disney, the logo would probably change to a castle with a multicoloured rainbow over it.
    There have been rumors of Apple buying Disney, and a few of Disney buying Apple, for a couple of decades. Ain't gonna happen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    13485 said:
    There have been rumors of Apple buying Disney, and a few of Disney buying Apple, for a couple of decades. Ain't gonna happen.
    Well, you are definitely right today. And you'll be right tomorrow. But a binary prediction can be predicted correctly 50% of the time even by a monkey. And a couple of decades ago Apple's market cap was just 1/400th what it is now, so Apple couldn't have afforded even Goofy back then.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    One Emmy win means absolutely nothing.  These are 'awards' given out by a bunch of self-absorbed egotistical people patting each other on the back.  Even that asshat Kimmel had the nerve to say he felt like he was locked up in prison during quarantine...in his multi-million dollar mansion.  Yeah, must have been so rough for him while millions are still out of work and small-businesses are closing for good.

Sorry Apple...your AppleTV+ service offers nothing of value to watch.  A handful of over-priced and over-produced original content that is actually pretty boring.  Hilarious that Apple was overly hyping Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Corell, yet none of them got an Emmy nom.  Instead, some guy that no one has ever heard of got a participation trophy.

If they were giving out "participation trophies" wouldn't everyone have gotten one Or are you just shi**ing on a successful man because he works for Apple? Making stuff up?

Also there's no factual data to backup your last claim.

" $30 a month for 2TB of storage is nothing but a cash-grab.  "

WTF?! Why do you keep making crap up?

2TB is $9.99
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Beats said:

If they were giving out "participation trophies" wouldn't everyone have gotten one Or are you just shi**ing on a successful man because he works for Apple? Making stuff up?

Also there's no factual data to backup your last claim.

" $30 a month for 2TB of storage is nothing but a cash-grab.  "

WTF?! Why do you keep making crap up?

2TB is $9.99
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238
    Indeed, on May 14, 2018, Google lowered its prices to match Apple's lower price structure. Prices would be higher if it weren't for Apple's presence and lower prices in the market. That's also the day Google matched Apple's family plan features. https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/14/17352836/google-one-google-drive-paid-storage-plans-cheaper <--

The only thing Apple copied was the name "Apple One" which copies the name "Google One." We can all thank Google for that naming scheme. I give credit where credit is due.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    petri said:
    I don't believe either of you have ever actually watched any of ATV+'s programming. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    petri said:
    I don't believe either of you have ever actually watched any of ATV+'s programming. 
    Believe what you like, I actually pay for ATV+ out of curiosity and will continue with it as part of Apple One (since I already pay for the top tier iCloud anyway and have a terabyte of photos tied up in it).  I’ve watched the morning show, trying, and tried a couple of other things.  Looking forward to Foundation as I know the books.  But honestly so far it is meh.  The Morning Show is the nearest thing they have to a breakout hit and.. it didn’t breakout.  It was high concept and high profile and had a lot of good people putting everything into it and it was.. ok.  That’s all.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    petri said:
    Nope, sorry.  Yes Netflix has a lot of filler, but it’s “best of the best” - shows like the Crown, Stranger Things, Ozark, Bojack Horseman, Russian Doll, Sex Education, Dead to Me, Tiger King, the list goes on and on - at least some of these are juggernaut, water-cooler shows that wipe the floor with anything on ATV. 

Apple are trying too hard.  Every show they put out feels like it’s designed by a super worthy committee to fit some Emmy-winning formula, and they all fall slightly short as a result.  Netflix take more risks and just fling more stuff at the wall - sure some of it doesn’t work and a lot is decidedly low-brow entertainment, but when they score a hit, they really score.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 17 of 18
    The Emmys might be on their last leg in their current form based on the ratings. Lowest Viewership this last go around. A lot of blue smoke being blown.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    petri said:

Apple are trying too hard.  Every show they put out feels like it’s designed by a super worthy committee to fit some Emmy-winning formula, and they all fall slightly short as a result. 
    You know Apple themselves aren't the ones developing these shows, right? They just buy the rights to them.