Compared: Apple Watch Series 6 versus Apple Watch Nike

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
The Apple Watch Series 6 and the new Apple Watch Nike edition are identical in terms of performance, but feature a few key differences in band, case, and aesthetic options. Here's what you should know.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

As far as specifications, the two Apple Watch variants are identical. Both sport a new blood oxygen sensor, Apple Silicon S6 chipset, baked-in altimeter, and a brighter display. Performance and capabilities between the two will be the same.

There are a few minor cosmetic differences in the setup process and on the rear of the device. The Apple Watch Nike edition comes with the Nike+ Run Club app preinstalled.

The biggest difference between the two models is the fact that Apple Watch Nike editions come bundled with Nike bands.

Although you can buy these Nike bands for any Apple Watch model separately, they'll cost you an additional $50. When you buy an Apple Watch Nike edition, those bands are included in the cost.

You can buy Apple Watch Nike bands for $50, but they come bundled with the Apple Watch Nike. Credit: AppleInsider
You can buy Apple Watch Nike bands for $50, but they come bundled with the Apple Watch Nike. Credit: AppleInsider

Options for the Nike Sport Band include Spruce Aura and Vapor Green; Blue Black and Bright Mango; Obsidian Mist and Black; Pride; Pure Platinum and Black; and Anthracite and Black. There are also Nike Sport Loop bands available in Spruce Aura, Purple Pulse, Obsidian Mist, Summit White, and Black.

The Apple Watch Nike edition also includes exclusive watch faces that you won't be able to get on other variants. New this generation is a Nike Compact face, which includes a customizable clock and spots for various complications. All Nike watch faces feature special complications that tie-in with the Nike+ Run Club app.

The new Apple Watch Nike-exclusive watch face features a customizable clock and spots for complications. Credit: AppleInsider
The new Apple Watch Nike-exclusive watch face features a customizable clock and spots for complications. Credit: AppleInsider

Users who want a stainless steel Apple Watch case need not apply, however. The Apple Watch Nike edition only comes in an aluminum variant, with the more expensive stainless steel case option reserved for the base Apple Watch Series 6 models.

In other words, if you're eyeing any of the Nike watch bands, then the Apple Watch Nike edition is going to save you at least $50. It's also a good option for frequent users of the Nike+ Run Club app, or those who just like Nike's signature style.

Apple Watch Series 6 versus Apple Watch Nike at a glance

Apple Watch Series 6Apple Watch Nike (2020)
Base price$399
Lowest Apple Watch 6 Prices
$399
Case materialsAluminum, stainless steelAluminum
Colors
Silver, Space Gray, Gold, Blue, (PRODUCT)RED, GraphiteSilver, Space Gray
Case sizes40mm, 44mm40mm, 44mm
Nike Watch FacesNoneNike Hybrid, Nike Analog, Nike Digital, Nike Compact
Bundled with Nike bandNoYes
Bundled with Apple bandsYesNo

Apple Watch deals

Shoppers can already save on Apple Watch Series 6 styles, with deals at your fingertips in the AppleInsider Apple Watch 6 Price Guide.

Wireless carriers like Verizon Wireless and AT&T are also offering special incentives when purchased on installment and/or with service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Have really enjoyed my new Series 6, only gripe apart from the shite battery life (come on Apple, if the Fitbit Sense can do 3-4 days on a single charge why the hell can't the Apple Watch with its custom SoC) my only annoyance is with regards to Siri and how useless it is when it comes to Apple Music.

I went for a jog today and asked it to play music that I like, the response was "I don't see an app for that. You'll need to download one." What the actual hell is all that about?!?!?!? Here's an idea you useless peice of shite, how about you use the in-built music app and my Apple Music subscription!

Asked for 90's dance music, same response, music by Metallica, same response, finally when I asked it to play a specific single song it did it straight away.

If this bull crap is standard on the Apple Watch I'll be returning it, anyone else had this crap from it?
    viclauyycchoctawfootball
  • Reply 2 of 19
    saarek said:
    Have really enjoyed my new Series 6, only gripe apart from the shite battery life (come on Apple, if the Fitbit Sense can do 3-4 days on a single charge why the hell can't the Apple Watch with its custom SoC) my only annoyance is with regards to Siri and how useless it is when it comes to Apple Music.

I went for a jog today and asked it to play music that I like, the response was "I don't see an app for that. You'll need to download one." What the actual hell is all that about?!?!?!? Here's an idea you useless peice of shite, how about you use the in-built music app and my Apple Music subscription!

Asked for 90's dance music, same response, music by Metallica, same response, finally when I asked it to play a specific single song it did it straight away.

If this bull crap is standard on the Apple Watch I'll be returning it, anyone else had this crap from it?

The sense gets pretty mediocre reviews regarding usability and processor speed, and with GPS enabled is only rated for "up to 12 hours" battery life.  You also have to pay $10 a month to access some of the features although they say the will "eventually" make it free.  As for Siri accessing your music, it works fine for me and I have a series 4.
    mike1GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Brandonw said:
    saarek said:

The sense gets pretty mediocre reviews regarding usability and processor speed, and with GPS enabled is only rated for "up to 12 hours" battery life.  You also have to pay $10 a month to access some of the features although they say the will "eventually" make it free.  As for Siri accessing your music, it works fine for me and I have a series 4.

So, if you ask siri on your watch to "Play some Rock Music" it does so no problem? My wife's Series 3 has the exact same issue as my Series 6 which mad me think it was some dumb limitation. Might chat with Apple then, assuming it is a bug and not just them hobbling the watch.

**Edit ** Seems a large issue affecting all Apple Watch models, have an engineer pulling off diagnostic info from my watch now.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Umm.  I ordered my Series 6 Apple Watch on release day and it’s not due to be shipped for another week.  How did you folks get your Series 6 Apple Watches so quickly?
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Umm.  I ordered my Series 6 Apple Watch on release day and it’s not due to be shipped for another week.  How did you folks get your Series 6 Apple Watches so quickly?
    Picked up from the Apple Store on launch day, I typically find with Apple launches that the stores will get a limited amount of stock in. Check the Apple Store app or site around 8am on launch date and you'll find you can reserve and collect.

I usually pre-order on the Apple Site to as a back up, but for the last 3 items I've bought they've all been available quicker to just grab from my local store when they get released.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 6 of 19
    If I order the Nike edition.  Will I get 2 sets of band?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    saarek said:
    Brandonw said:
    saarek said:

So, if you ask siri on your watch to "Play some Rock Music" it does so no problem? My wife's Series 3 has the exact same issue as my Series 6 which mad me think it was some dumb limitation. Might chat with Apple then, assuming it is a bug and not just them hobbling the watch.

**Edit ** Seems a large issue affecting all Apple Watch models, have an engineer pulling off diagnostic info from my watch now.
    Huh, my Series 4 started playing "I Speak in Friction" by Plague Vendor when I said "play some rock music."  Never heard of the song or artist before, but it sounded like rock.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    viclauyyc said:
    No.

Here's the short version of this article.  "With the Nike watch you get a Nike band instead of the default band, and you get an exclusive Nike watch face."
    edited September 2020 neillwdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    viclauyyc said:
    No, the article is not well written. You do not save $49. If you want one of the new Nike bands, get the Nike Edition. If not, get the regular edition that comes in some great colors.
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I ordered right after the event when the store opened back up.  I was disappointed that they didn’t have a load already in country so they could ship to arrive on Friday when they were in stores (seems like that happened back when I was getting new phones).  But I guess I should be happy mine are in the US now, eveN if it is Alaska...
    Good luck with yours!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I like the Nike bands and bespoke Watch faces, but the Watch only comes in Silver or Space Gray.  I wish Apple offered in Gold, like the regular AW6. It would save me finding an excuse to buy both. FWP.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    saarek said:
    Brandonw said:
    saarek said:

You need two things before the Apple Watch will play music:
    -- Airpods or some other type of connected bluetooth headphone
    -- A music app like Apple Music

It doesn't come preloaded with either.
    My Series 4 LTE generally takes a minute to download music but then it streams Apple Music flawlessly to my Airpod Pros while I run without my phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    saarek said:
    Brandonw said:
    saarek said:

My Series 4 LTE generally takes a minute to download music but then it streams Apple Music flawlessly to my Airpod Pros while I run without my phone.
    If you don't have BT headphones connected it will just play on the paired iPhone instead, if it's in range. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

saarek said:
    Brandonw said:
    saarek said:

Works fine for me. Siri is generally pretty terrible though. My iPhone/AW toting friends never use Siri due to it being pretty terrible, they deem it not worth the hassle. I use it occasionally and it gets about 40% of queries that are more complex than "play some music" wrong (or returns the wrong data) this is despite learning how to speak to it to make it understand. The other idiotic thing is the lack of on-device processing. Even for basic things like stopping/resuming music Siri is flat out disabled when there's no connection. This is especially annoying on a non-cellular AW with Airpods, and makes zero sense as even the iPhone 3G had basic on-device voice commands.
    edited September 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Don’t know if it’s been mentioned already, but just in case...If you buy a new Series 6 from Best Buy, you’ll get an exclusive deal of 6 months of Fitness+ free when it is released as opposed to the 3 free months you get from Apple. 

With that said, I ordered my Nike Watch from their website just yesterday. Won’t be available for pick up til Oct 2. Meanwhile, my S4 Nike already sold on eBay. I was not expecting it to sell so quickly so now I have to go a week and a half with no Apple Watch LOL Oh well, it’s all good. 

I’ve always liked Nike stuff so I always get the Nike models. Plus, their exclusive sport bands are my favorite. So like it was mentioned, I save myself $50 right there. For me, it’s just a watch that gets replaced every two years so I have no reason to spend the extra money for the stainless steel or titanium models.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    saarek said:
    Brandonw said:
    saarek said:

Yes, if I ask it to "play some rock music" or "play something I like" it works the same as if I ask my phone, which is to start playing what I asked.  I also shut off my iPhone and tested to make sure it wasn't pulling from the iPhone and it worked the same.  Guess there is a bug that just isn't triggering on my hardware.  Perhaps a specific app or setting combination?  Good luck figuring it out!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Must be differences in colors and sizes.  I ordered one Friday morning (40mm, gold aluminum with a sport band) and it's due to arrive today (though I've got a feeling it might not be until tomorrow - the UPS tracking has it still in Anchorage and it's almost noon here on the east coast of the US).  The original shipping estimate I had was the first week in October.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    elijahg said:
    saarek said:
    Brandonw said:
    saarek said:

If you don't have BT headphones connected it will just play on the paired iPhone instead, if it's in range. 

It will control how your iPhone plays music.  But the watch itself is not playing that music.  If you want the watch to play music you still need bluetooth headphones or pods and a music app - and actually select 'watch' for the music.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 19 of 19
    elijahg said:

saarek said:
    Brandonw said:
    saarek said:

Works fine for me. Siri is generally pretty terrible though. My iPhone/AW toting friends never use Siri due to it being pretty terrible, they deem it not worth the hassle. I use it occasionally and it gets about 40% of queries that are more complex than "play some music" wrong (or returns the wrong data) though I have learnt how to speak to it to make it understand. The other idiotic thing is the lack of on-device processing. Even for basic things like stopping/resuming music Siri is flat out disabled when there's no connection. This is especially annoying on a non-cellular AW with Airpods, and makes zero sense as even the iPhone 3G had basic on-device voice commands.
    Just change it to the male voice version, problems solved... 😎