Apple leaker confirms Oct. 13 'iPhone 12' event, Pro models arriving later

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
The "iPhone 12" will be announced at an Apple Event on October 13 according to prolific leaker Jon Prosser, aligning with earlier rumors.

Prosser says October 13 for
Prosser says October 13 for "iPhone 12" announcement

Apple is expected to announce the "iPhone 12" lineup at an event sometime in October, and all speculation points to October 13. Jon Prosser has added that his sources line up with the leaked date provided to AppleInsider.

Lines up with the dates I have you last month

I was told:
Event October 13
Pre-orders on 16
In stores on 23 https://t.co/9umqJqSzwq pic.twitter.com/fOt5eLzcBP

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

Prosser details again that the event will take place on October 13 with pre-orders opening on October 16, just as the AppleInsider source had said. He also included that the "iPhone 12 mini" and "iPhone 12 Max" would arrive in stores on October 23.

A follow up tweet noted that the "iPhone 12 Pro" and "iPhone 12 Pro Max" would likely be shown at the event, but not launch until sometime in November.

The pro models are likely delayed due to more complex part orders and the inclusion of LiDAR. Apple has shipped the iPhone lineup in two intervals before with the iPhone X arriving a month later than the iPhone 8 in 2017. It followed a similar pattern in 2018 with the iPhone XS arriving about a month before the iPhone XR.

If accurate, the October 13 event will be the second fall event held by Apple in 2020. The "Time Flies" event was held in September and revealed the iPad Air 4, Apple Watch Series 6, and Apple One. After the October iPhone event, Apple is expected to hold one more event to reveal the first Macs with Apple Silicon.
Grayeagle

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Let me fix the title:

Apple <not reliable> leaker confirms....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    No iPhone 5.4” 12 Pro? :(
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I really hope the Pro models have USB-C like the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro. Will make it easier to have just one cord. 
    JFC_PAalphafox
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Apple should slide the schedule so new phones available first week of September every year - all models immediately available after announcement.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    Fatman said:
    Apple should slide the schedule so new phones available first week of September every year - all models immediately available after announcement.
    Are you not aware of anything that’s going on here in 2020? I hope you’re not expecting them to just “Slide the schedule” till next September. There’s been many delays in Apple’s supply chain and manufacturing sector, therefore a September iPhone release just cannot happen this time.
    randominternetpersonfastasleepgregoriusmStrangeDaysmwhitemuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Covid-19 has definitely impacted supply chains. I work for a computer manufacturer (not Apple) and the market is just now getting caught up on severe NAND shortages. I expect capacity, in China, is no longer an issue however NAND shortages coupled with Apple's new 5nm A14 mean that supply will be tight throughout 2020 and into the first half of 2021. Frankly, given the circumstances I'm amazed that Apple can ever pull this off in 2020...
    gregoriusmStrangeDaysJinTechplastico23mwhitewatto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Fatman said:
    The next time you find yourself typing “Apple should”, you should just stop and do something else. 
    StrangeDaysRonnnieOplastico23mwhiteRayz2016muthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidtllamawatto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 8 of 24
    No, it is not big enough to hold the hardware components included with the Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24

Fatman said:
    You do realize that the pandemic played a huge part in the delay.
    gregoriusmStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 10 of 24
    I just had a read about LiDAR.....

It really doesn’t make sense from what I read for Apple to introduce this. The use case examples are so trivial/laughable... Gaming?? Lol I guess there’s money in the market 

Plus Apple never rush to market. Why would LiDAR be offered before 5G? we’ll see soon I suppose. 

What would be a good idea for the 2020 iPhone.... is a fingerprint sensor, it’s sorely needed now with these face masks. Even if they only did it this year I would be pleased with a power button or back of phone sensor. 

kiehtanplastico23CluntBaby92
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Just waiting for the basic 12 to be released for sale. 
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    It is amazing this 'leaker' has been able to predict iPhone launches in the Fall...considering Apple has been releasing iPhones in the Fall since the 4S back in 2011.  I don't think anyone needs a 'leaker' to tell them they are typically released in October.  Even when COVID started, Apple announced that iPhones would be delayed from the normal September release.
    svanstromspock1234watto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 13 of 24
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    A leaker cannot confirm anything. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    kkqd1337 said:

It really doesn’t make sense from what I read for Apple to introduce this. The use case examples are so trivial/laughable... Gaming?? Lol I guess there’s money in the market 

Plus Apple never rush to market. Why would LiDAR be offered before 5G? we’ll see soon I suppose. 

What would be a good idea for the 2020 iPhone.... is a fingerprint sensor, it’s sorely needed now with these face masks. Even if they only did it this year I would be pleased with a power button or back of phone sensor. 

Apple already has introduced LiDAR. It's on the iPad Pro released this year. There are many future uses for LiDAR such as in photography, but the technology just isn't there yet for mobile devices. If Apple hasn't advanced their version of LiDAR currently on the iPad Pro for the new iPhone's, it's basically just going to be mainly used for AR gaming and apps where you can see how furniture would look in your house. 
    plastico23watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    I wonder if we will see a Glass announcement as per Jon Prosser's prior predictions. 
    watto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 16 of 24
    kkqd1337 said:

Future proofing devices is good so I expect that’s what Lidar is about. It’s already in the iPad Pro. As far as masks and going back to Touch ID? With the mask aware iOS update getting my passcode entered is just about as fast as Face ID alone. Adding extra hardware for something they’ve already fixed in software doesn’t make sense for a device where the volume is crammed with necessities. iPads might have room for both, the iPhone? I doubt it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    JFC_PA said:
    kkqd1337 said:

Future proofing devices is good so I expect that’s what Lidar is about. It’s already in the iPad Pro. As far as masks and going back to Touch ID? With the mask aware iOS update getting my passcode entered is just about as fast as Face ID alone. Adding extra hardware for something they’ve already fixed in software doesn’t make sense for a device where the volume is crammed with necessities. iPads might have room for both, the iPhone? I doubt it. 
    Oh what’s the mask aware iOS update? Mine still isn’t working. Is that something you need to enable?

Passcodes aren’t as quick for everyone. My iPhone is a work device with alphanumeric complex passwords enforced. It takes me a lifetime to enter it compared to Face ID or Finger print. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Apple_Bar said:
    Let me fix the title:

Apple <not reliable> leaker confirms....
    Wrong 
  • Reply 19 of 24
    larryjw said:
    A leaker cannot confirm anything. 
    Wrong
  • Reply 20 of 24
    No, it is not big enough to hold the hardware components included with the Pro.
    Not accurate