Coalition for App Fairness unites developers to fight Apple's App Store fees and policies

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Coalition for App Fairness is comprised of many developers currently involved in high-profile disputes with Apple, as well as many who have been critical of the tech giant in the past.

Developers create non-profit to stand up against Apple's App Store fees and policies

Several big-name app developers have gathered together to form the Coalition for App Fairness, a non-profit organization seeking to highlight issues developers face when developing for Apple's App Store.

The coalition formed at a time when Apple is undergoing multiple antitrust investigation, both in the United States and abroad.

Their website highlights that Apple makes more than $15 billion a year from its 30% app commission fee. They also point out that other "payment providers," though it should be noted that Apple also provides hosting services and monitors apps for malicious code.

"We believe that every app developer is entitled to fair treatment and that every consumer should have complete control over their own device. Our App Store Principles will ensure a level playing field for platforms like Apple and a consistent standard of conduct across the app ecosystem," the website reads. "The 10 principles outlined include that every developer should always have the right to communicate directly with its users through its app for legitimate business purposes and that no app store should charge unreasonable or excessive fees."

The ten principles mentioned include many suggestions heard before -- decentralization of app hosting, prevention of self-preferential practices, and lowering Apple's commission cuts. The full list of principles can be viewed on the Coalition for App Fairness' website.

Included in the founding member roster are developers like Epic Games, Spotify, and Tile. All three are development teams that have been leading the rallying cry against Apple's behavior toward developers.

Other members include Basecamp, Blix, Blockchain, Deezer, European Publishers Council, Match, News Media Europe, Prepare, ProtonMail, and SkyDemon. The coalition is currently asking more developers to join its ranks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    We the people, who understand Apples reasoning for AppStore policies and fees, we should show these companies what “non-profit” could mean.. by stopping buying their apps.
    temperorjahbladepichaeljdb8167mike1uraharamwhitepscooter63ericthehalfbeeRayz2016
  • Reply 2 of 37
    I'd like to boycott the members but outside of Basecamp (HEY) and ProtonMail, I've never heard of the rest of them. I already boycott them by default. Oh well.
    mwhitepscooter63Rayz2016macplusplusGilliam_Batesmagman1979jahbladetobianDogpersonBeats
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Other than Epic Games, how many of these independent developers existed prior to the launch of the App Store?
    doggoneuraharamwhitemacplusplusmagman1979jahbladellamamac_dogbshankJWSC
  • Reply 4 of 37
    I too will boycott them. Checking the list now. I know what happens when a product or service is unprofitable for Apple. They kill it as they should. If the shift to focusing on Services and and Devices only, they could redirect those resources to something else. Remember Apple had Newton that like now had superior technology and was decades ahead of its time. We Steve Jobs returned he could not find a way to profitability so even though it was loved by many. It was killed. Only to become a cult product. 

Without the share that Apple takes none of the companies who got their start and profited massively on IOS would be where they are today, because Apple would not have invested heavily into the platform and it would have died on the vine like Ping and others. 

How many partnerships do the company doing the heavy lifting only take 30%. I mean really. They should give them the option to bypass the fee, then charge the true value for each service or API they want to use on a subscription basis that takes into account how many calls per month it is accessed. 

Then they will miss the 30% because Apple should charge more since they will have to manage a much more complex system 
    pscooter63jahbladebshankapplguyBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Even though I haven’t used it since Apple Music launched, I finally said “ya know, I should delete my Spotify account...”. 

So I did.

And the Tile that I’ve got...  yeah, definitely not upgrading to their Premium subscription...  when the built in battery dies, I’m done with them. 

Getting more than a little tired of the crud from Spotify, Epic and Tile.  I get the “we need to stay profitable to stay in business and the 30% cuts into our margins” thing...  but these three companies are just coming across as scumbags.  There is so much to the App Store beyond just hosting that they pretend doesn’t exist that costs money to develop. There’s the software and hardware development costs, the developer tools (last I checked, Xcode didn’t just magically appear out of thin air...), the hosting, the advertising, the financial transactions...  their PR likes to pretend that these things don’t exist and that Apple is just taking 30% of pure profit for themselves....
    mwhitepscooter63Rayz2016Gilliam_BatesstukejahbladebshankJWSCDogpersonBeats
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Epic and Spotify are among founders. I see...

I read those 10 points of their vision of the app store future. Stupid, vague, mostly absolutely not relevant to Apple’s App Store. Epic is just trying another angle to get to those millions they all losing in profits, while paying for Apple’s services. 
    edited September 2020 mwhiteRayz2016jahbladebshankDogpersonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    I ask the Coalition, why they didn’t  complain about AppStore rules in the very begin, when they decided to use It?. Or why they started using AppStore at all if the rules in it were so unfair? There has been nothing changed in this rules since the opening of the App Store.
    So, what do you want then?
    Oh yeah, I know! But sorry, Apple is not a charity organization. 

Rayz2016hammeroftruthmagman1979jahblademac_dogbshankDogpersonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37

Coalition for App FairnessWhinging Freeloaders unites developers to fight Apple's App Store fees and policies

Fixed that for ya.
    pscooter63Rayz2016magman1979jahbladethtGilliam_BatesSpamSandwichJWSCDogpersonBeats
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Nothing really different than all the multitudes that go after Apple because of their deep pockets. Greedy leaches, every one.

Apple, OTOH, dares to make a computer ecosystem so desirous that folks are happy to pay them top dollar. They take care of their customers, and their customers take care of them. No greed basis whatsoever, but rather a virtuous cycle.
    Rayz2016magman1979jahbladetobianthtbshankBeatswatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Great idea. Now I have an easily-accessible list of developers I won’t buy from. 
    magman1979jahbladetobianJWSCBeatsDancingMonkeyswatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Hmph. Their website locks up if you don’t accept their tracking cookies. 

Yup, think I’ve got the measure of this lot. 
    macplusplusmagman1979jdb8167llamatobianthtGilliam_Batesheadfull0wineJWSCDogperson
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Then there are app developers that are the opposite of greedy... who put a top-quality app out there and continue to improve it, for YEARS, without charging their customer base anything after the initial purchase.  ForScore does this, but I honestly don’t see how they stay in business.  (I PayPal them every couple of years, in appreciation.)
    hammeroftruthtobianDogpersonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 37

diz_geek said:
    Even though I haven’t used it since Apple Music launched, I finally said “ya know, I should delete my Spotify account...”. 

So I did.

And the Tile that I’ve got...  yeah, definitely not upgrading to their Premium subscription...  when the built in battery dies, I’m done with them. 

Getting more than a little tired of the crud from Spotify, Epic and Tile.  I get the “we need to stay profitable to stay in business and the 30% cuts into our margins” thing...  but these three companies are just coming across as scumbags.  There is so much to the App Store beyond just hosting that they pretend doesn’t exist that costs money to develop. There’s the software and hardware development costs, the developer tools (last I checked, Xcode didn’t just magically appear out of thin air...), the hosting, the advertising, the financial transactions...  their PR likes to pretend that these things don’t exist and that Apple is just taking 30% of pure profit for themselves....
    Wish I could find that ArsTechnica post. Someone worked out how much Apple pays in download fees for Fortnite, with no guarantee of getting it back. Tired of these whiners. 

Don’t like it? Leave the platform. 
    diz_geekmagman1979bshankDogpersonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 37
    qwerty52 said:
    I ask the Coalition, why they didn’t  complain about AppStore rules in the very begin, when they decided to use It?. Or why they started using AppStore at all if the rules in it were so unfair? There has been nothing changed in this rules since the opening of the App Store.
    So, what do you want then?
    Oh yeah, I know! But sorry, Apple is not a charity organization. 

Bingo. By definition, an antitrust issue involving a “monopoly” (which Apple isn’t, but let’s pretend they are) requires the company in the monopoly position to have have taken a specific action:

1: An illegal action that allowed them to become a monopoly in the first place. For example, an oil company selling below cost (dumping) because they can afford it and competitors can’t. Competitors go out of business leaving them with a monopoly position in the oil market.

2: An illegal action that leverages their current monopoly position to further increase their profits and/or harm consumers/competitors. Apple raising fees to 40% after The App Store became so popular is one example. Apple preventing Spotify, Google Maps or Microsoft Office from being on The App Store because they compete with Apple would be another example.

Apple has done neither of these things. The policies have been in place since day one, and Apple has gradually relaxed the rules over the years (allowing subscription sign-ups outside The App Store, lowering subscriptions to 15% after one year, allowing Spotify, Maps and others into CarPlay, allowing default email/browsers) and so on. Apple might be doing this too slowly for some people, but they clearly aren’t using their success to crack down and make things more restrictive.
    edited September 2020 supadav03qwerty52magman1979bshankroundaboutnowDogpersonpscooter63watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Apple could temporarily shut the App Store down and show developers what it’s like to make “no” money at all.
    magman1979Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    The important thing I see is who the founding members are. All very profitable companies.  That makes it hard to make a point that they are being charged too much and treated unfairly. The smaller companies look and sound shady. 

I know there are developers who make great apps and don’t make what they should, but those are developers who see their own product as a labor of love. They don’t complain about Apple’s 30% and they keep supporting a $5 app for years. Those are the developers that I will keep supporting, the ones who see us as supporters of their app and not as dollar signs. 

bshankDogpersonpscooter63Beatswatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 17 of 37
    The coalition principals completely miss the mark. They are trying to make developers more powerful and platforms less powerful. What is missing? The power of the users. Apple will be correct when they say that this coalition is trying to make more money at the cost of user safety and right to privacy. If they had made the principles all about the right of users to choose a different app store and what they were allowed to do with their own devices, they would have been able to break down Apple's walls. Instead the coalition looks like the bad guys.

Here is a principal for the coalition: As a developer, always base your decisions from the point of view of your customers. Is the change or feature you are about to make something they will like and appreciate? If not, don't do it!
    jdb8167
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Facebook really belongs in this coalition -- I hope they join. 
    Dogpersonpscooter63Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 37
    I think it’s important and urgent that we as consumers organize against this coalition. I don’t like at all that they are trying to portrait their demands as if they were in the interest of us consumers. They are entirely for the benefit of developers (often greedy). The arguments why this will hurt the consumers have already been stated here numerous times, and they are all valid. No reason to linger anymore around that discussion.

So, just how do we take this further? Is it enough with a petition? Should we try to get Apple with us on this?
    watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Here's what I would ask them:
    • At the bottom of your page you explicitly claim that your fight is with Apple only, specifically its "app ecosystem". Picking on Apple exclusively seems to go against the principles of your complaint, which demands that Apple not be "discriminatory". If you object to discrimination, why are you discriminating specifically against Apple only?
    • Are you excluding the "Apple TV" hardware from your complaints, since that is clearly a console and not a mobile device? Why didn't you cut Apple any break for its console? Or are you actually holding Apple's console to a different standard than all other consoles?
    • What do you mean by "every app developer is entitled to fair treatment"? Do you mean equal treatment? How is Apple not treating you equally? My impression is that Apple treats all developers equally. Please educate me. But please don't expect Apple to treat people who sell physical goods to pay the same fees as people who sell digital goods. If a 30% fee is too much for digital goods, then tell us what is fair, and tell us why you are singling out only Apple for this issue.
    • When you say "every consumer should have complete control over their own device" does that mean you would be satisfied if Apple offered Android as a complete replacement for iOS, or is your problem with the features of iOS itself? Would an offering of Android offer you the "complete control" that you require, or is your real objection to any sort of walled garden? Do you realize that many people choose iOS and Apple specifically because of the walled garden approach?
    • Are you or are you not concerned with the App Store on macOS when you say "the Apple ecosystem"? Do you object to the steps Apple has been taking recently to secure users of apps on macOS, like the digital signature requirements? 
    • Do you object to Apple refusing to sign the video drivers for Nvidia which uses only OpenGL API?
    • Do you object to Apple choosing which APIs it will support within its various operating systems?
    • When you say "no app store should charge unreasonable or excessive fees," what do you consider excessive? Apple charges the same rate as everyone else.
    • when you say "developer should always have the right to communicate directly with its users through its app for legitimate business purposes", are you sure you want to make the removal of this privacy MANDATORY? Do you realize that some of us will STOP buying apps because we really abhor email spam?
    • When I visited your website, I couldn't read it until I accepted your cookie policy. Do you realize this makes me think you are tracking me and will use my access to your site against me? Do you realize that this proves we cannot trust you on privacy issues?
    • Do you realize your 10 requirements contradict themselves, such as "as long as its app meets fair, objective and nondiscriminatory standards for security, privacy, quality, content, and digital safety" and yet your demands to have access to every user's email address implies that you do not like this particular standard of user privacy?
    • Why have you not made the effort to go through the list of Apple's current "standards" and tell us exactly which ones you object to? Or you could go a step further and draft a set of standards that you would consider "acceptable". I would find that very enlightening. Why are you hiding behind ambiguity?
    • Do you realize that you violate the fundamental rules of free speech when one of your rules states that Apple should be prohibited from "discouraging the use of" any other app store? We don't live in North Korea, so why are you trying to impose North Korea's speech laws upon Apple? Apple isn't permitted to discourage YOUR app store but your entire raison d'être is to discourage the use of Apple's App Store. Sounds hypocritical.
    • Can you make a list of all hardware and OS vendors who follow all your requirements? I'm unaware of any.
    • Why are you targeting only Apple when Apple isn't even the largest hardware vendor or OS vendor out there?
    To be honest, there is a chance I could potentially be supportive of one or two of your principles, but certainly not the main ideas of forcing Apple to modify its own apps, OS, and app store to your liking. I consider some of your proposed changes to be the antithesis of my own privacy and security values. For example, just one example, I would never buy software from any app store if the app store gives my email address to the software vendor, and yet that is one of your founding principles, and you want to take away my right to that privacy from Apple's own app store. Shame on you.
    edited September 2020 stukeforegoneconclusiontobianiconaughtroundaboutnowwatto_cobraDetnator