Apple stops shipping 5W power adapter with Apple Watch Hermes

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2020
Apple announced that it would not ship a 5W power adapter with Apple Watch Series 6, though expensive watches like the Hermes edition still had one -- until now.

Apple Watch Hermes no longer ships with 5W power adapter
Apple Watch Hermes no longer ships with 5W power adapter

Apple made the announcement that most of the Apple Watch line would not have a USB AC adapter, during a small portion of the "Time Flies" event focused on the environment. The company says that most people buying the Apple Watch already have an adapter and including one in the packaging adds to waste.

Despite Apple's reasoning, high-end models like the Apple Watch Edition and Apple Watch Hermes still came with the 5W adapter. The operating theory for early adopters was that the adapter was still included in the more expensive models due to those being purchased by people who upgrade less often.

As noted by MacRumors, however, Apple now indicates that it has stopped shipping the adapter in the box for all Apple Watch Series 6 models. Apple has updated the Apple Watch Hermes page with the same message it has on the others:
"As part of our effort to meet our environmental goals, Apple Watch does not include a power adapter. Please use your existing power adapter or add a new one before you check out."
Apple's environmental push will affect the "iPhone 12" as well, as it is expected to ship without a power adapter or headphones. The "iPhone 12" is expected to be announced on October 13.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I struggle with this.  Apple’s environmental objectives are noble, but to take credit for leading environmental change by suddenly crippling usability for the same buyers they’re bragging to seems a little counterintuitive.

We’ll all deal with it, of course, and it won’t matter to most.  But the idea of “non-techie” users havin to double-check to make sure they already have a solution just to power the device they’re buying, while Apple boasts in a marketing campaign feels disingenuous.
    edited September 2020 aegean
  • Reply 2 of 14
    For perspective: Apple only sell the Hermes and Titanium (and previous Edition) Apple Watch models in a few markets. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    This is all fine but they need to lower the price of the 5w charger from $19 to $9 for the people who need one.
    jdb8167crowleyrazorpitdoozydozenfred1
  • Reply 4 of 14
    What about the Titanium? I received a completely useless 5W power adapter with my Series 6 Titanium. There are so many ways of recharging something as small as an Apple Watch, it just isn't justified to ship the nearly useless 5W adapter with any product any longer. Maybe Apple should reduce the price on the 5W adapter from $19 to $9 or something for the very few people who still need or want one.

Edit: Ha, Ninja'd by Goodbyeranch by 5 minutes.

Edit 2: It looks like the same message is now on the checkout for the Titanium too. Good!
    edited September 2020 goodbyeranchdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    jdb8167 said:
    What about the Titanium? I received a completely useless 5W power adapter with my Series 6 Titanium. There are so many ways of recharging something as small as an Apple Watch, it just isn't justified to ship the nearly useless 5W adapter with any product any longer. Maybe Apple should reduce the price on the 5W adapter from $19 to $9 or something for the very few people who still need or want one.

Edit 2: It looks like the same message is now on the checkout for the Titanium too. Good!
    You not needing it does not make it useless.

razorpitCloudTalkinMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Don’t understand why Apple is packaging the Apple Watch series 6 with an empty box in the bottom of the box that the watch is packaged in?" It’s the same space that the Apple wristband would have previously been in. With the series 6 you get the box with the watch and a separate box with the wristband.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    This is all fine but they need to lower the price of the 5w charger from $19 to $9 for the people who need one.
    Better yet, give buyers the option of receiving a “free” power adapter at the time of purchase or not, and lower the price of the adapter.  ;)
    jdb8167CloudTalkinchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    How is this saving waste? If I sell my watch, it needs a charge cable to go with it. That means someone has to buy another cable, i.e. no less waste. The only way this is a waste saver is if I trash my old watch and keep the old charger. That works…at least until Apple changes the charger unit, but Apple never does that. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    imagladry said:
    How is this saving waste? If I sell my watch, it needs a charge cable to go with it. That means someone has to buy another cable, i.e. no less waste. The only way this is a waste saver is if I trash my old watch and keep the old charger. That works…at least until Apple changes the charger unit, but Apple never does that. 
    The charge cable is still shipped with the watch. It is the 5W adapter that isn’t getting included. 
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    razorpit said:
    Better yet, give buyers the option of receiving a “free” power adapter at the time of purchase or not, and lower the price of the adapter.  ;)
    I like this idea. Most people won’t want it which should offset the cost of shipping it separately. 
    MplsP
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mike1 said:
    jdb8167 said:

You not needing it does not make it useless.

You are correct. Completely useless was hyperbole. I should have said useless to most purchasers. 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    imagladry said:
    The cables break down a lot more than the charging bricks. I'm basically your stereotypical Apple household. Lots of Apple products. We have a lot of spare charging breaks. They work, and likely will work for a long time. We go through cables a lot though. One of my children breaks them very easily. It's a miracle that he hasn't broken the Lightning port on his iPad Air 2. None of the charging bricks have broken, so we have unused charging bricks.

So, if the mass market Apple user is like us, it will save waste in the charging bricks. There is no change on waste with the cables. It's basically an easy truism. What's left unsaid is that we mostly have USBA chargers. There is going to be a transition to USBC-PD chargers. If Apple wants to make a bigger dent, they need to have a trade-in program of some kind where our USBA chargers can be handed in and we get a discount on a USBC charger. The 10W USBA charger is basically fine for iPads and smaller devices. So, a simple USBA to USBC adaptor could mean we keep using those for a long while, and maybe that's a way to address it.

The criticism regarding expensive Apple Watches still shipping with charging bricks, moot now, is stupid. Quite literally stupid. The vast majority of Apple Watch sales are the Aluminum models. It's the 90%. You don't make a dent on anything cutting the parts of the problem that are only 10% of the problem. If you cut out of the 90%? It's a dent.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    razorpit said:
    ↑↑↑This is the best idea.  The charging block only goes to those who need one and that person isn't penalized for purchasing an Apple Watch a year after the block came included for free.  If someone wants one at a later date, charge them.  Not 20 bucks, but some nominal fee that's low enough to discourage purchasing a cheap gas station charger.
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 14
    All things considered, I did not personally like the idea of not including the adapter or charging cable. But as long as they are adjusting their prices accordingly, it should not be a big issue. 
    edited September 2020