Apple releases iOS 14.0.1, iPadOS 14.0.1, watchOS 7.0.1, tvOS 14.0.1 with bug fixes for de...

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2020
Shortly after the milestone releases, Apple has made available its first downloadable updates for the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch bringing each up to iOS 14.0.1, iPadOS 14.0.1, watchOS 7.0.1 and tvOS 14.0.1.

iOS 14.1 is the first update issued for iOS 14.
iOS 14.0.1 is the first update issued for iOS 14.

The updates can be installed on the iPhone and iPad via the usual update processes. While it can be set to run automatically, a manual update can be performed on the iPhone and iPad by opening the Settings app, selecting General, then Software Update.

Apple typically offers an update shortly after its major releases, which generally consists of performance improvements, bug fixes, and sometimes features missing from the original release. It appears that this update fixes a bug related to default mail and browser apps resetting after a device restart.

Apple published iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and tvOS 14 on September 16, alongside watchOS 7.

iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 made changes including refreshing the Home screen and app interface, Messages and Safari, made major changes to Siri, added elements to Maps, introduced Sound Recognition alerts, and CarKey support, among other changes. The next-generation tvOS 14 brings better picture-in-picture support, HomeKit Doorbell alerts and camera feeds, UI customization and more to Apple's set-top streamer.

Apple is also testing out updates for iOS 14.2, iPadOS 14.2, watchOS 7.1, and tvOS 14.2 with developers, issuing the first beta on September 17, one day after the release of the milestone versions. So far, the first beta for iOS 14.2 has consisted of cosmetic updates to Control Center and a new Watch app icon, among other improvements.

Adds information about tvOS 14.0.1 update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    In IOS 14, what Setting/fix for making default Apple Map ?
    balu
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Ironically, it’s my AppleInsider app that’s the only one that’s shown instability after iOS14!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    paraeeker said:
    Ironically, it’s my AppleInsider app that’s the only one that’s shown instability after iOS14!
    Yeah, they took away two APIs between the last beta and the 26-hour GM period that we relied on, which caused a bit of a scramble. We're testing a full iOS 14 update internally.
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 17
    So no Watch Update 7.01? My sister says her Apple Watch Series 4 now dies within 8 hours after updating to 7.0. Anybody else experiencing that? I have a Series 5, so I don't have the issue.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    v14.01? It's not Sony. Apple actually know software versioning.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Nevermind. After updating to iOS 14.0.1, my Watch is reporting there is a 7.0.1. I will tell my sister....
  • Reply 7 of 17

So no Watch Update 7.01? My sister says her Apple Watch Series 4 now dies within 8 hours after updating to 7.0. Anybody else experiencing that? I have a Series 5, so I don't have the issue.
    I didn’t have any issues with my Apple Watch series 4 (GPS + Cellular). I did switch to charging it twice a day so I could wear it for sleep tracking. My Series 6 arrived yesterday so I’ll keep track of how that works. 

The biggest fix with 14.0.1, not present in 14.2 developer release was one I had reported to Apple earlier in the summer, especially on the iPad. 

Spotlight search wouldn’t work on the Home Screen when searching for installed apps. I would see the Siri suggested apps, but typing didn’t show any installed applications. I see that works now in 14.0.1. I need that installed on my iPad now. 
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Where are the HomePod updates? They weren’t included in the original releases... I know I’ve been reading about new HomePods for years, but the fact that there are no updates lead me to believe they are being discontinued...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    There is also an update for TVOS (14.0.1) out as well. There was a bit of a weird visual problem with some menu elements when watching AppleTV plus content when  the “up next” menus popped up at the end of a show. Menus elements would be very dim. I’m installing now and hoping to see this fixed.
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I'm trying to put on WatchOS 7.0.1, but it seems to hang Verifying ...
  • Reply 11 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I'm trying to put on WatchOS 7.0.1, but it seems to hang Verifying ...
    I had the same issue when upgrading to 7.0. It took 2 days before the update eventually happened. First time I had problems with an update.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Any chance the updater fixes the watch GPS issues?? Ive unpaired and re-paired my S4 to my XR and still no fix.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    I miss a focused, mature, dynamically typed ObjC language. SwiftUI has a crap load of bugs and for a version 5.3 Language, you should have let it mature to 11 before switching to it. Or better yet, advance ObjC instead. But hey, whatever. The original architects are gone and it's showing. We spent 20+ years maturing ObjC before the merger and now we have a mix n' match of stuff because the team developing Swift just aren't as world renowned as the one we had at NeXT Inc.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I had this problem with my Watch 4 after a previous update. Tell her to try doing a soft reset of her watch to see if this fixes it. 

• Reply 15 of 17
    Well... just as I feared, this update did nothing to address the Audio Unit plugin issue with iOS 14.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    How about this? Can someone confirm, please?

Sending attachments (at least to an Android device) in Messages is hosed. At least as far as Voice Memos is concerned (and other third party apps with same function.) 

Even a voice message attachment sent to a non-iOS device that is just 800 kB refuses to send because “attachment is too large.” 

• Reply 17 of 17
    I miss a focused, mature, dynamically typed ObjC language. SwiftUI has a crap load of bugs and for a version 5.3 Language, you should have let it mature to 11 before switching to it. Or better yet, advance ObjC instead. But hey, whatever. The original architects are gone and it's showing. We spent 20+ years maturing ObjC before the merger and now we have a mix n' match of stuff because the team developing Swift just aren't as world renowned as the one we had at NeXT Inc.
    You sure say "we" a lot in reference to NeXT and Apple. I don't believe you actually worked with them for 20+ years or anything close to that.

Also, like there haven't been plenty of bugs pre-Swift, especially with .0 releases.