Leaked case stickers show 'iPhone 12 mini' name

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
An image purporting to be of Apple distribution stickers, or labels, includes names for "iPhone 12" models, including the recently-rumored "iPhone 12 mini."

Mock-ups of the 'iPhone 12' and 'iPhone 12 Max,' though the names may change.
Mock-ups of the 'iPhone 12' and 'iPhone 12 Max,' though the names may change.

Following the recent rumor that Apple would name its smallest new model as "iPhone 12 mini," a new photograph has been leaked which appears to confirm it. The image appears to be of three packing labels, distribution stickers, for a series of different silicone cases for different "iPhone 12" models.

The image, tweeted by leaker DuanRui, looks as if it is a still from a video. However, so far only this single frame has been released.

iPhone 12 mini
iPhone 12 / 12 Pro
iPhone 12 Pro Max

Silicone Case Stickers pic.twitter.com/bWaFiWG9Ht

-- DuanRui (@duanrui1205)

The frame is hand-annotated with the "iPhone 12 mini" sticker labelled "5.4," the size that phone's screen is expected to be. Similarly, there is an "iPhone 12 Pro Max" sticker which has been labelled "6.7."

The third label, marked by hand with "6.1," features the description "iPhone 12 | 12 Pro Silicone Case Black." It's the only label that appears to cover two models, and it implies that there will be an "iPhone 12" and an "iPhone 12 Pro" of the same size.

However, previous reports have claimed that the two 6.1-inch sized models will be the "iPhone 12 Max," and the "iPhone 12 Pro."

Tweeter DuanRui has a short but strong track record in leaking Apple news. He or she most recently revealed that the new iPad Air 4 would have Touch ID embedded in the sleep/wake button.

Apple is expected to announce the details of its new "iPhone 12" range in an event on October 13.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    If the iPhone 12 Mini is even a little smaller than the current SE, I'll be ecstatic, and online to order one ASAP.
    raoulduke42commentsf
  • Reply 2 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Take 2020 iPhone SE and move touch ID to power button like 4th Gen iPad Air which let you increase the screen size and call it Mini Plus but keep the same SE price point $399.. Those on older iPhone and android users will love to buy.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 3 of 13
    wood1208 said:
    Take 2020 iPhone SE and move touch ID to power button like 4th Gen iPad Air which let you increase the screen size and call it Mini Plus but keep the same SE price point $399.. Those on older iPhone and android users will love to buy.
    You won't see TouchID in the power button on any iPhone.  The button is too thin.  The only reason they did it with the iPad is because the device is much thicker and can have a wider button.  Not a wise choice for TouchID because once those devices hit the market, I am sure people will say the 'con' is accidentally turning off the iPad trying to authenticate by putting too much pressure on the button.  Even when it was in the Home button, you tell someone to rest your finger on the Home button for TouchID and they would by habit click the button instead.
    spock1234
  • Reply 4 of 13
    "However, previous reports have claimed that the two 6.1-inch sized models will be the "iPhone 12 Max," and the "iPhone 12 Pro.""

That would be unlikely.  The iPhone 11 is already 6.1".  So why would they call a new 6.1" phone, 'iPhone 12 Max'?  That would only make sense if the new 5.4" model was called 'iPhone 12' and the 6.1 model 'iPhone 12 Max'.  But again, you would not have one 6.1" phone be called 'Max' and the other 6.1" phone not be called 'Max'.  It would be a marketing nightmare.  Think about it...two side by side 6.1" phones and the person asks, "Why is this one Max and this one not, when they are both the same size"?  Doesn't work.  Too many models to begin with.  
    spock1234muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 13
    wood1208 said:
    An iPhone SE, similar to what you described but with a 5.5” screen, is rumoured for Spring 2021. I highly doubt it’ll be $399 though. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    wood1208 said:
    You won't see TouchID in the power button on any iPhone.  The button is too thin.  The only reason they did it with the iPad is because the device is much thicker and can have a wider button.  Not a wise choice for TouchID because once those devices hit the market, I am sure people will say the 'con' is accidentally turning off the iPad trying to authenticate by putting too much pressure on the button.  Even when it was in the Home button, you tell someone to rest your finger on the Home button for TouchID and they would by habit click the button instead.
    The new iPad Air 4 is 6.1mm thick which is thinner than the current iPhone lineup. The new lineup is expected to adopt the flat edge design of the iPad Pro & Air. So Apple should have zero issue if implementing TouchID in power button if the next iPhone SE adopts the new design language. 
    spock1234muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 13
    "However, previous reports have claimed that the two 6.1-inch sized models will be the "iPhone 12 Max," and the "iPhone 12 Pro.""

That would be unlikely.  The iPhone 11 is already 6.1".  So why would they call a new 6.1" phone, 'iPhone 12 Max'?  That would only make sense if the new 5.4" model was called 'iPhone 12' and the 6.1 model 'iPhone 12 Max'.  But again, you would not have one 6.1" phone be called 'Max' and the other 6.1" phone not be called 'Max'.  It would be a marketing nightmare.  Think about it...two side by side 6.1" phones and the person asks, "Why is this one Max and this one not, when they are both the same size"?  Doesn't work.  Too many models to begin with.  
    According to Apple’s website, the iPhone 11 is 8.3mm thick. 
  • Reply 8 of 13

macgui said:
    If the iPhone 12 Mini is even a little smaller than the current SE, I'll be ecstatic, and online to order one ASAP.
    Unlikely according to guesswork over at macrumors

CluntBaby92
  • Reply 9 of 13
    macgui said:
    Oh my god me too !
    morky
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    wood1208 said:
    An iPhone SE, similar to what you described but with a 5.5” screen, is rumoured for Spring 2021. I highly doubt it’ll be $399 though. 
    You’re right, Apple has always been able to build a small phone. The SE line has always been about lower cost with a “value twist,” like sticking in a hotter processor. Compare the iPad Mini to the base iPad. The iPad Mini doesn’t come close to delivering the value that the base iPad delivers. But for those who are willing to pay more and get a little less for a smaller form factor, the iPad Mini fills that niche. The only variable here is whether the niche is large enough for Apple to invest R&D to fill, at the expense of not going after some other opportunity that has greater ROI. Since Apple has so much discretionary budget, maybe they’ll start going after more of the edge cases like mini phones. We’ll see.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 11 of 13
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,419member
    I am definitely gonna get rid of my XS if the iPhone mini is smaller than XS. I just cannot stand big phones. I miss the old days of iPhones being small.  
  • Reply 12 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    wood1208 said:
    The new iPad Air 4 is 6.1mm thick which is thinner than the current iPhone lineup. The new lineup is expected to adopt the flat edge design of the iPad Pro & Air. So Apple should have zero issue if implementing TouchID in power button if the next iPhone SE adopts the new design language. 

Correct. Having TouchID on power button of 4th gen iPad AIr thickness is 6.1mm and 2020 iPhone SE is bit more 7.3mm and iPhone 11 is 8.3mm, So, Apple can easily add TouchID on power button on any iPhone.The iPhone 6/7/8/SE frame size is great so Apple just need to move touchid on power button and have one or two more release out of it. In fact, Apple can do the same for larger 5.5" iPhone 8 Plus size frame. Keep Liquid Retina HD display,update internals and Apple got totally 2 new lower end iPhones that can address the need for the price conscious customers. Hope, Apple give some thought to it.
    edited September 2020 canukstorm
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I'm in for a 12 mini.  I have an XR and struggle with the overall size.  I was holding my original iphone last week and realized immediately that the smaller size feels amazing in the hand.  That's what she said.