Some Apple Watch Series 3 owners dealing with crashes after watchOS 7 update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    After update, my Apple Watch Hermes series 3  locked itself while it was on my wrist at least 3 times so far. And now I can't go back to previous OS, can I? All this iOS 14 update to my iPhone X and watchOS update to my series 3 saga, caused loss of 3 days of my workout data since last backup. I was literally sad for whole two days and everyone was asking what happened. I never missed completing my all 3 rings and challenges, and now no rings for 3 days is no less than shock for me.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 22 of 38
    MplsP said:

I have the same problem - I’m still back at version 6.2.1 because it can’t update due to ‘inadequate memory’ even though I have nothing extra installed. I don’t really care about the new features, so I’m content with what I have. Reading this it’s all the more reason not to upgrade. 

You're probably better off.

My S3 was running happily running 5.3.  After I updated my phone to iOS 14, it started complaining that the Watch needed to be updated, to the point where launching the Watch app gave no other choice.  I have some time to spare, so I agree, but the time estimate was 17 hours, and didn't get any better after giving it some time to settle and perhaps reflect a more accurate estimate.  Nope.  I cancelled it and the pairing gets lost; launch Watch app now and it shows no paired watches.  I don't wear it daily, so I set it aside, and will deal with it later.  Come back to it, and the watch has somehow magically updated itself to 7.0 anyway?

OK, now that I'm on the train, might as well update to 7.0.1.  That proved to be futile.  Free space wasn't an issue, as I don't load the watch with anything.  But multiple attempts failed with a complaint about the  lack of a network connection, well into the process.  It's not an uncommon error, and none of the various solutions suggested worked, so I gave up.  Not worth any additional wasted time and effort for such a minor patch.

While it was nice of Apple to support the S3 this far, it barely has enough memory to accommodate the update payload, which forces users to jump through hoops to merely update.  And, because of the opaque nature of the process, and ample time required to perform these tasks, frankly, it's less than a good UX, especially when there are glitches.

If I relied on it daily, I'd be more upset at the state of affairs.

iOS 14 has worked very well for me, and has been a worthy update.  Too bad all of Apple's teams can't get it right simultaneously.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    I have an Apple Watch Series 3 GPS w/ 7.0.1 os, an iPhone 7  w/ 14.0.1 OS.  When I use the watch workout function, the mapping/tracking does not show up.  It did prior to my os upgrade.  I reset my watch and re paired it with my phone.  
  • Reply 24 of 38
    +1 on the rebooting issues. They started a few days after I upgraded on release day and continued today even after installing 7.0.1 last night. My watch is a lot less useful now. So I really hope they fix this soon!
  • Reply 25 of 38
    I had the "not enough space" issue when I tried to update the last 6.x watchOS on my S3 a couple of weeks ago. I had deleted all apps/music, etc, but it still wouldn't update. I ended up unpairing and setting up as new to get the 6.x update installed. I wish I thought of simply re-starting like others here have suggested, but setting up as new was fairly easy. Once I successfully installed 6.x, I made sure to turn off syncing as much as possible* and only have a few extra apps installed to try to avoid having this happening again.

The 7.0 and subsequent 7.0.1 updates installed without issue (perhaps having a fresh 6.x install helped). I haven't observed any performance or battery problems.

*One thing I noticed in the 7.0 update was that under Photo Syncing, Selected Photo Album now allows "None" as an option. Previously, "None" wasn't an option, and I had to do a workaround by selecting an Album with nothing in it.

Because of memory limitation, I now strongly recommend not syncing Photos/Podcasts/Music on an S3 (GPS only-not cellular).
    Or doing so (no syncing) only when l an upgrade install is necessary?
  • Reply 26 of 38
    My Series 3 shows 7.2 GB of free space on the About page. Could be worth checking before trying an update?
    edited September 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 38
    My Apple Watch three had to be completely reformat it because there’s just not enough storage on it to do the update watchOS 7 on anything but a new setup. The update is 4GB but there’s barely more than that in total on the series 3. I even deleted all the apps, music, and photos, but it barely made a dent. 
  • Reply 28 of 38
    The current Appl Store Watch series 3 gps  (no LTE) lists storage as 8GB. 
  • Reply 29 of 38
    This is what they do. My series 4 now only stays charged about 4 hrs
  • Reply 30 of 38
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    This would explain the reboot that I had to undertake on my series 3 (cellular) yesterday after it had unexpectedly shut down.

WatchOS 7 & 7.0.1 installed without any problems for me & hopefully this will remain a one off incident.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    cocojoe53 said:

My Series 4 stays charged for 22 hours a day consistently -- despite over an hour each day exercising with the heart rate monitor running full blast and streaming music  to Airpod Pros via LTE and bluetooth - plus taking occasional messages and phone calls via LTE.   I charge it when I get up in the morning and it runs fine till I get out of bed the next morning.

• Reply 32 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cocojoe53 said:

My Series 4 stays charged for 22 hours a day consistently -- despite over an hour each day exercising with the heart rate monitor running full blast and streaming music  to Airpod Pros via LTE and bluetooth - plus taking occasional messages and phone calls via LTE.   I charge it when I get up in the morning and it runs fine till I get out of bed the next morning.

That's what makes some of these bugs so hard to identify and squash, inconsistency using the same software on two different devices of the same model. One person finds operating problems while for another it's great. I'm pretty sure Apple will figure it out and fix it but I'm sure it's not easy. 
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Crash happened to me the first time this morning on 7.01 and my new series 6.  Hope it doesn't turn in to a big problem
  • Reply 34 of 38
    JFC_PA said:
    I had the "not enough space" issue when I tried to update the last 6.x watchOS on my S3 a couple of weeks ago. I had deleted all apps/music, etc, but it still wouldn't update. I ended up unpairing and setting up as new to get the 6.x update installed. I wish I thought of simply re-starting like others here have suggested, but setting up as new was fairly easy. Once I successfully installed 6.x, I made sure to turn off syncing as much as possible* and only have a few extra apps installed to try to avoid having this happening again.

The 7.0 and subsequent 7.0.1 updates installed without issue (perhaps having a fresh 6.x install helped). I haven't observed any performance or battery problems.

*One thing I noticed in the 7.0 update was that under Photo Syncing, Selected Photo Album now allows "None" as an option. Previously, "None" wasn't an option, and I had to do a workaround by selecting an Album with nothing in it.

Because of memory limitation, I now strongly recommend not syncing Photos/Podcasts/Music on an S3 (GPS only-not cellular).
    Or doing so (no syncing) only when l an upgrade install is necessary?
    My S3 shows only 4.2 GB Capacity. From your other posts, it looks like you have 11.4 GB, and that S3 now have 8 GB. So maybe you don't have to worry about sync eating up all of your capacity, but it is still a good idea to keep an eye on it. Sounds like Apple recognized limitations, and are now putting 8 GB in new S3.

I don't really need to sync, so I'm keeping it off. Hopefully this will avoid future update problems for my S3 due to lack of capacity.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Had to reset the S3 back to factory before installing WatchOS 7.0 to resolve the 'Not enough storage' issue even though the watch had basically nothing on it  - many GB had just gone missing.

The S3 crashed a couple of times with 7.0. Updated to 7.0.1 and will see how that goes.
  • Reply 36 of 38

mazda 3s said:
    It won't even install on my wife's Series 3. Says she doesn't have enough space even though she doesn't have any images or third-party apps installed.
    In pair and re pair
  • Reply 36 of 38
    mazda 3s said:
    It won't even install on my wife's Series 3. Says she doesn't have enough space even though she doesn't have any images or third-party apps installed.
    It’s a problem with the S3 non LTE due to small storage. My fix was to factory reset, turn off all syncing for photos, music, podcasts, etc. Delete the breathe and cycle tracking app.
    this have enough space, this should only be a big issue with major updates like 6 to 7, but to 7.1 the install size is much smaller so doesn’t need enough free space. I can confirm OTA to 7.1 was fine
  • Reply 38 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Dibiase said:
    Crash happened to me the first time this morning on 7.01 and my new series 6.  Hope it doesn't turn in to a big problem
    cocojoe53 said:

My series 3 will generally stay charged for 36 hours - don’t use it for listening to music, though.
    Dougie.S said:
    mazda 3s said:
    It’s a problem with the S3 non LTE due to small storage. My fix was to factory reset, turn off all syncing for photos, music, podcasts, etc. Delete the breathe and cycle tracking app.
    this have enough space, this should only be a big issue with major updates like 6 to 7, but to 7.1 the install size is much smaller so doesn’t need enough free space. I can confirm OTA to 7.1 was fine
    I couldn’t update beyond 6.2.1 on my S3 Apple Watch. I haven’t tried deleting the breathe and cycle apps, but c’mon, Apple - you shouldn’t have to dick around with deleting apps and content on a device just to do an OS upgrade (much less do a factory reset.)