UK, Ireland get Apple Maps Look Around, cycling directions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple Maps users in the U.K. and Ireland will gain several new features, including more accurate navigation, more detailed land cover, Guides, Look Around, and improved cycling directions.

UK and Ireland get new Apple Maps cycling directions, Look Around

Starting today, Apple Maps has gained some impressive new features for those in the U.K. and Ireland. Look Around, Apple's answer to Google's Street View, now allows anyone to take a street-level look at London, Edinburgh, and Dublin. Apple also states that many more places will be added eventually. Major metros also now feature Flyover, an immersive feature that allows users to view major metro areas with photo-realistic, immersive, 3D views.

Many locations now include comprehensive views of roads, buildings, parks, airports, malls, and more.

"Apple Maps is the best way to explore and navigate the world -- all while protecting your privacy -- and we're excited to bring the new map to our users in the U.K. and Ireland," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "We have rebuilt the map from the ground up, with better navigation, richer detail, more accurate information for places, and incredible features like Look Around, cycling directions, and curated Guides from trusted resources. We've reimagined how Maps can help users find the places they love and get to where they're going even faster and easier."

The locales also gain Guides, a curated list of interesting places to visit in major cities. Apple states that Guides was created by a group of trusted resources that includes Time Out Group, Lonely Planet, and the Evening Standard.

Cyclists can now use Apple Maps to plan out trips, with the ability to see elevation, traffic conditions, and whether or not a given route has stairs.

Those who drive electric vehicles will now be able to add charging stops along routes based on the vehicle charge and charger types.

Additional features include the ability to see transit schedules, live departure and arrival times, live locations of busses and trains, and even transit outages.

Certain airports and malls now feature Indoor Maps, allowing users to see what level they're on, restroom locations, and a list that shows which stores and restaurants are open.

Users will now be able to share their estimated time of arrival to friends and family with a single tap. The receiver will be sent alerts if the traveler runs into a significant delay.

Siri will now give more natural-sounding directions that are easier to follow. Siri can also scan a user's Mail, Calendar, and Wallet for airport travelers, helping them find terminals, gate locations, and reminding them of departure and arrival times.
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ...Huzzah!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    andycandyc Posts: 7member
    I can't get it to work for Edinburgh. It does seem to work for some locations in London, but not all? Any tips for how to get started with look around in the UK?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I’m in Dublin. I’ve just checked and I now have lookaround but not cycling directions. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    This is basically never coming to Smalltown USA, is it... 
    KillBillOGwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    The EV part is only if the vehicle supports CarPlay, really would have been nice if they’d provided the ability to add the few higher volume electric vehicles that don’t have CarPlay... and yeah “look around” is like the 3D flyover that still isn’t in most US cities or even in the biggest ones in the world like Mexico City. The deployment rationale is just a black box, Apple really knows how to annoy consumers more and more these days—delight for the few, oblivion for every one else. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    andyc said:
    I can't get it to work for Edinburgh. It does seem to work for some locations in London, but not all? Any tips for how to get started with look around in the UK?
    It’s working in Edinburgh for me. 

Make sure you’re in Map or Public Transport mode (tap the ‘i’ on the top right) and zoomed in enough to get the binoculars icon to appear on the top right. If you want to get a good feel for it, hop over here to Ireland. You can use it on the entire east coast, all of north Leinster and south Ulster (Cavan & Monaghan). 
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Apple’s own website doesn’t yet mention cycling directions anywhere other than the above. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Working great for me in London. Not every street is covered but the quality and performance is superior to Google's Street View.

The general quality of Apple Maps in London has seen improvement too. Someone at Apple has finally realised that, as one zooms out, displaying mass transit stations is more important that seemingly random local businesses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I'm only seeing Look Around appear in London and Edinburgh, so it's very limited.  Looks good there though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Extremely disappointed that they haven’t fixed the plane guidance problems for the UK! Basically, here most junctions come off the left hand lane, but apple maps shows an additional, none existent lane, that becomes the off-ramp. Very rarely do they show the off-ramp arrow off the side of the left hand lane. I was really hoping they’d have sorted this out with their own maps!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    andycandyc Posts: 7member
    Thanks Sidric. It's working great now. I guess I wasn't zoomed close enough before.
    Andy
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This is amazing. 

You can almost smell London. 

Great work. 
    watto_cobra