First benchmark indicates A14 is major upgrade from A13

Posted:
in iPad
Benchmarks for the iPad Air 4 have seemingly surfaced, indicating the A14 Bionic expected to be used in the "iPhone 12" range offers more performance than the high-powered A13 Bionic and the iPad Pro's A12Z Bionic.

The A14 SoC
The A14 SoC

Apple is due to launch the "iPhone 12" in the near future, and the fourth-generation iPad Air hasn't gone on sale yet, meaning no-one has been able to try out the latest tablet model to see how responsive the new A14 system-on-chip is in use. In benchmarks spotted by Twitter user "Ice Universe" offers what could be the first benchmark for the tablet, and a first glimpse of what could be powering the 2020 iPhone models.

The single GeekBench benchmark for an "iPad13,2" from October 2 indicates it is a tablet with the motherboard number J308AP. Serial leaker "l0vetodream" pointed out the J308AP refers to the iPad Air 4 with cellular, rather than the J307AP used for the Wi-Fi model.

The benchmark lists the chip as 6-core model with a base frequency of 2.99GHz and 3.66GB of memory. The tablet scored 1,583 points for single-core tests, while for multi-core it achieved 4,198 points, under Geekbench 5.2.3.

Comparing the results against Geekbench's list of iOS and iPadOS devices, the single-core performance is higher than the 1,327 observed in the iPhone 11 Pro, which uses the A13 Bionic at 2.7Ghz. On the multi-core side, the A14 also outpaces the 3,300 the A13 Bionic achieves in the same test, but is still beaten by the A12Z Bionic used in the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which scored 4,644 points.

According to Apple, the A14 Bionic offers a 30% boost for CPU performance, while using a new four-core graphics architecture for a 30% faster graphics boost, compared against the A12 Bionic used in the iPad Air 3. Against the A13, the benchmarks suggest the A14 offers a 19% improvement in CPU performance and 27% for graphics.

Of course, this all depends on whether the spotted benchmark is genuine. With the imminent arrival of the iPad Air 4, more benchmarks are likely to appear in short order, giving a more accurate assessment of the A14's improvements over the A13.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    I can’t dispute these claims.  I’m no expert in cpu manufacturing.  But have to wonder...  there has to be a limit, a wall that must be reached at some point with current chip fabrication\materials. Every year we keep hearing that in just a years time the new cpu is XX percentage better than the one before it. The other thing is the phones are so good right now,  does it really matter in real life daily use?
    flyingdprmusikantowGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 51
    People said the same thing 5 years ago for how much better do we really need? Yet it is likely yours is under that threshold or perhaps about to reach it as your computing expectations rise slowly but surely, year over year. There's still much headroom for performance and efficiency, as well as cost, which all balance better every year.
    qwerty52chiadoozydozendocno42watto_cobraDeelron
  • Reply 3 of 51
    A14X performance is going to be bananas going by those numbers. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 51
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    so, 18% improvement in single core, 27% improvement in multicore! Seems like a bit better than people were led to believe.
    What isn’t mentioned is the 70% improvement in Geekbench compute metal score. That is way over what was expected
    doozydozendocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 51
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    M68000 said:
    I can’t dispute these claims.  I’m no expert in cpu manufacturing.  But have to wonder...  there has to be a limit, a wall that must be reached at some point with current chip fabrication\materials. Every year we keep hearing that in just a years time the new cpu is XX percentage better than the one before it. The other thing is the phones are so good right now,  does it really matter in real life daily use?
    The ones saying this are usually the ones owning equipment made by a company lagging behind. With more power and speed new capabilities are discovered that couldn’t run on slower equipment. Look at AI (not website) and other technologies that just won’t work on slower hardware. Do we need it? Some people do and some don’t. 
    uraharaqwerty52Rayz2016chiawatto_cobraDeelron
  • Reply 6 of 51
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    M68000 said:
    With increased performance and shrinking fab metrics comes efficiencies in power and heat.  These all translate into smaller devices and greater applications.  So sure the phones are great now but there are still more improvements to make especially for battery life and screen performance. Then also translate that into applications in smaller devices as well as the new Apple Silicon Macs.
    qwerty52doozydozenwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 51
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    As far as hardware(&software) is concern, at the end of the day users want smooth response/performance, higher efficiency in terms of longer battery life. Rest is just numbers and time wasting discussion.
    spock1234
  • Reply 8 of 51
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    The industry continues to evolve, and new fabrication methods are constantly in development, along with materials science.  The industry will continue, and will evolve.  It has too.  Silicon still has more life in it, but it will be interesting what to see what the next revolution will be for CPU design.  Necessity is the mother of all inventions.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 51
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    M68000 said:

A few things.
    • The A14 is using the industry-first 5 nanometer fabrication process, so this is new, not the same.
    • Consumers keep demanding that their devices do more and more and more. This requires faster, more powerful hardware.

It's not that a 2010 vs. 2020 iPad can both run an email app adequately. It's that in 2020, consumers want to be running 10x more apps and have 10x more functionality available to them. Think about Siri analyzing your device usage, communicating with a growing number of wireless accessories (like Apple Watch), converting written text to typed text... this all is new functionality that didn't exist (as prominently) in 2010.

edited October 2020 canukstormspock1234red oakchiaMisterKitdoozydozendocno42watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 51
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

sflocal said:
    The industry continues to evolve, and new fabrication methods are constantly in development, along with materials science.  The industry will continue, and will evolve.  It has too.  Silicon still has more life in it, but it will be interesting what to see what the next revolution will be for CPU design.  Necessity is the mother of all inventions.  

Graphene is one tech that's in the works.
    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175727-ibm-builds-graphene-chip-thats-10000-times-faster-using-standard-cmos-processes
    GG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 51
    mykemmykem Posts: 33member
    The single core alone is almost twice that of the Snapdragon 865 (1,583 vs 870).

The multi-core is a lot closer although you have to consider that the SD865 runs on 8 cores vs 6 on the Apple A14 (Apple has been using 6 cores on the regular A series chip since the A10- the “X” version for the iPad Pro uses 8 cores). For the multi-core the SD865’s GB5 score is around 3,280 vs 4,198 for the A12.
    spock1234doozydozenwatto_cobraDeelron
  • Reply 12 of 51
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    M68000 said:
    It does matter because as others have mentioned, we are constantly trying to solve bigger problems and constantly put more demands on our computing systems. There's a reason why your 5 year old system seems somewhat pokey with the latest OS version. The CPU hasn't gotten slower, but the OS has gotten bigger and more complex. 

... which brings me to systems.

Speeding up the CPU or GPU by, for example 30%, is not going to speed up the system by 30%. The CPU, GPU, memory, etc., are only parts of the system performance equation, and the whole system performance is what really matters. Like any system or complex process there is something called the theory of constraints, or ToC. What ToC tells us is that every system has something about it that is the largest or greatest constraint on the overall system performance (or whatever quality measure you care about). The key word here is largest, because it's not the only constraint.

So what happens when you put on your engineer hat and attack the top constraint on the system's overall performance and make it better? Easy answer, something else becomes the new top constraint. Constraints will still be there holding you back, but generally you can't get rid of all of them and should probably focus on the constraints that have the greatest contribution to system performance, those that can be improved cost effectively, and those that are valued by customers even if the improvements are incremental.

Apple obviously understands what contributes to their systems' overall performance and how ToC applies to every change they make. With Apple Silicon they have something in-hand that they can make better with every release, something that appears to be cost effective, and based on customer loyalty and demand for new Apple products, something that delivers customer value. Why would Apple not play that card? But unless you run CPU benchmarks for a living, don't get overly enamored with the raw CPU numbers and benchmarks. If you're really looking for meaningful performance improvements that matter to you, understanding what system constraints are holding you back, a little self administered ToC, is probably not a bad idea. You may be better off spending your money on a faster storage system, e.g., SSD vs HDD, than paying for a faster CPU, or paying for a faster CPU with integrated graphics rather than a pricey discrete GPU. 
    edited October 2020 rmusikantowGeorgeBMacroundaboutnowdoozydozenwatto_cobrafastasleepDeelron
  • Reply 13 of 51
    It all depends on where Apple sets the clock speed!  Higher clock speed, better performance, worse battery life!  
  • Reply 14 of 51
    M68000 said:
    Every year we keep hearing that in just a years time the new cpu is XX percentage better than the one before it. The other thing is the phones are so good right now,  does it really matter in real life daily use?
    With faster and better hardware,  app developers can design more complex and advanced app/game. Just look at the desktop computer, some app still takes minutes to hours to run a single task, we may not use it, but someone is depending on it to make a living.

tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 51
    M68000 said:
    Right. I have an iPhone 8 and never think it is slow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 51
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    mykem said:
    The single core alone is almost twice that of the Snapdragon 865 (1,583 vs 870).

The multi-core is a lot closer although you have to consider that the SD865 runs on 8 cores vs 6 on the Apple A14 (Apple has been using 6 cores on the regular A series chip since the A10- the “X” version for the iPad Pro uses 8 cores). For the multi-core the SD865’s GB5 score is around 3,280 vs 4,198 for the A12.
    actually we should take in consideration that the Snapdragon uses 4 high performance cores while the A14 will only uses 2. The contribution of the lower power cores is much smaller.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    M68000 said:

My iPhone 7 with its 4 generations back A10 processor seems to be chugging along just fine.   To be honest, I don't see what "faster" would get me.

But then software, especially on the iPad, will keep getting more and more demanding.   So, when buying new, you might want to allow for some reserve horsepower for down the road.  It's a bit like 5G -- you're investing mostly in capacity for the future.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member

sflocal said:

Graphene is one tech that's in the works.
    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175727-ibm-builds-graphene-chip-thats-10000-times-faster-using-standard-cmos-processes
    Also, graphene is just one of many 2-dimensional materials being explored. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 51
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Perhaps we shouldn't be looking at the A14's performance in an iPhone but in high end iPads which will soon be extending their functionality into what used to be the domain of laptops.  And, even more importantly, perhaps we should be particularly looking at how it will perform in a MacBook!

Added:   Shit!  So much for predictions!   I went on to read the next AI article and came across this regarding iPhone:
    "Some of the games in development will also apparently require an A13 Bionic or later version to run, suggesting they will only be playable by newer iPhone and iPad hardware.

Good thing I'm not a weather man!

edited October 2020
  • Reply 20 of 51
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    mykem said:

The multi-core is a lot closer although you have to consider that the SD865 runs on 8 cores vs 6 on the Apple A14 (Apple has been using 6 cores on the regular A series chip since the A10- the “X” version for the iPad Pro uses 8 cores). For the multi-core the SD865’s GB5 score is around 3,280 vs 4,198 for the A14. 

For anyone curious of those numbers In terms of percentages,  it’s 91% faster in single core and 64% more powerful in multicore. 
    techconcwatto_cobra