Microsoft to go after Google.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to this Yahoo article Microsoft is planning to crush Google in the search engine market. Good luck.

Let's just hope google stays I private company. I don't want them to be bought out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    msn search isn't good enough?

how does MS plan to compete with google, i mean i'm sure they can make a good search engine (hahaha) but google has been working with web pages for so long and has 3,083,324,652 indexed and many cached...i'm pretty sure this took a while...not to mention they won over other search engines

f*** MS, i will use google, cuz u knwo to use MS's u'll ahve to go to msn.com

google is my homepage, its powerful and simple
  • Reply 2 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Heaven forfend that another company should have the gall to become a crucial part of the computing experience.

I hope MS invests tens of billions of dollars in this and loses it all, and a good deal besides. I'm beyond tired of their antics.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    By the title I thought you meant they were buying Google, I was both scared and sad. But I saw that they were just wanting to compete with Google, which I feel better about. They will come up with some horribly ridiculous thing, that too many people will think is great, but Google is still there.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Microsoft has said its been searching for ways to capitalize on its various technologies, for example data retrieval and analysis, by entering new markets. It has also targeted security software.

BAAAAAHAAAHHAHAHA! No wonder XP has more security holes than swiss cheese!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    unless something seriously changes in US laws, google will be dead and/or bought out within 3 years.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

unless something seriously changes in US laws, google will be dead and/or bought out within 3 years.

They can always remain a private company and still be profitable.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    they could, but a few hundred million might change a few minds.

let's face it, MS will lie, cheat, steal, or buy out every person or company that gets in their way.

if you're faced with the prospect of a few hundred mil. in cash, or a three year battle you can't possiblly win, which route would you go?

just look at what MS has done to

WordPerfect

IBM

Netscape

Lotus

Soon to be added to that list:

AOL

Nintendo

(google)
  • Reply 8 of 27
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

BAAAAAHAAAHHAHAHA! No wonder XP has more security holes than swiss cheese!

HEY! nothing against our cheese! it's bug free!
  • Reply 9 of 27
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Quote:

just look at what MS has done to

WordPerfect

IBM

Netscape

Lotus

AOL

Nintendo

(google)

Lets hope Apple dun make into that list.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    snowstersnowster Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

Lets hope Apple dun make into that list.

Don't you think that - in a way - Apple already should be on that list?

-Snowster
  • Reply 11 of 27
    well, i was going to put Apple on the list, but they're in the unique position of being MS's bitch for life now.

MS will work to keep them alive and viable so they don't go back to court, but will always make sure they don't climb over 12% market share.

they're not dead dead, but they'll never be a major player again, at least not by anything they do.

i fully believe MS may do enough stupid things to piss of enough people that we'll see Apple climb back up to the top. i just don't think that they'd be able to assault and beat MS if MS was actively working to stop it.

if they keep up their stupid ass registration crap every time i change out my hardware, then yeah, Apple will take off.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

well, i was going to put Apple on the list, but they're in the unique position of being MS's bitch for life now.

MS will work to keep them alive and viable so they don't go back to court, but will always make sure they don't climb over 12% market share.

they're not dead dead, but they'll never be a major player again, at least not by anything they do.

i fully believe MS may do enough stupid things to piss of enough people that we'll see Apple climb back up to the top. i just don't think that they'd be able to assault and beat MS if MS was actively working to stop it.

if they keep up their stupid ass registration crap every time i change out my hardware, then yeah, Apple will take off.

Only pirates change their software. Good, law-abiding Microsof...I mean U.S. citizens buy a system from Dell and never do anything to it until it's time to buy a new Dell. Microsoft isn't that stupid. If too many people start going over to Apple or Linux, then they will just remove the offending features and woo them back with marketing. Microsoft has HUGE pockets full of money to burn. The only thing that might cause their collapse would be another Great Depression when all their money becomes worthless.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

HEY! nothing against our cheese! it's bug free!

Yes pardon me if i am wrong, but swiss gruyere has no holes contrary to the french one.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    MS will eventually fall...it's already breaking up. It doesn't have a core business or purpose anymore. It's now going after markets just for the hell of it.

I'm sorry but this is a recipe for disaster. I'm serious, it's in a cookbook I read:

Disaster:

-2 tbs of this

-A pinch of that

-4 cups of something that doesn't seem to mix well with 'this' and 'that'

Mix all together with a vague strategic mission and serve. You can only use this recipe once.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Apple's focus: create the ultimate digital lifestyle experience

MS' focus: there's no 'focus'...control the PC and Server market, control the office applications, control the game market, control the internet, control the digital media market, control users minds, and conquer the world.

That's a little too ambitious...again, MS is tripping and will soon fall flat on its face.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    I have great confidence that open source projects like Mozilla and Linux will destroy Microsoft in the coming decade. Apple can only benifit from this.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

AOL

Nintendo

(google)

What are you nuts MS can't touch nintendo. Whenever the big N gets into trouble they just release a pokemon game on GBA and it becomes the best selling game of the year In japan between February 10 and March 16 the GBA SP was the number one selling console, folowed by ps2, then the original gba.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

What are you nuts MS can't touch nintendo. Whenever the big N gets into trouble they just release a pokemon game on GBA and it becomes the best selling game of the year In japan between February 10 and March 16 the GBA SP was the number one selling console, folowed by ps2, then the original gba.

Yeah, Nintendo is pretty safe. Nintendo fans are more loyal than Apple users. Plus, Nintendo makes excelent first party games that will keep them in business even if every 3rd party developer jumps on the XBox or PS2.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    i bet within 3 years nintendo is out of the console market and doing exclusivlely handhelds.

Sony is doing extremely well in the console market, and MS won't go anywhere until they're dominant. i don't think that nintendo will survive this unless the japanese firms all get together to screw over MS.

if it makes you feel any better, the only console i own is a GC, i just don't think they'll survive.

time will tell though.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

i bet within 3 years nintendo is out of the console market and doing exclusivlely handhelds.

Sony is doing extremely well in the console market, and MS won't go anywhere until they're dominant. i don't think that nintendo will survive this unless the japanese firms all get together to screw over MS.

if it makes you feel any better, the only console i own is a GC, i just don't think they'll survive.

time will tell though.

Nintendo has already commited to a new console in 2005. I think they're still making money. The GameCube isn't the cash cow, it's the games. They had 600,000 pre-orders for the new Zelda game, a new record. I've played it too. Oh my god, gaming bliss.

Nintendo is like Apple. They can keep going even in a niche market.