What to expect from Apple's 'Hi, Speed' new 'iPhone 12' event on October 13

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2021
Apple's second fall special event, "Hi, Speed," has been announced , and is expected to feature new "iPhone 12" models alongside some other products. Here's what Apple could offer up during the presentation.

On September 15, Apple held its "Time Flies event, revealing the new iPad Air 4, 10.2-inch iPad, Apple Watch Series 6, and the Apple Watch SE. With the announcement of a second event set to take place on October 13, speculation now turns to what Apple products Apple has yet to announce.

The presentation, most likely a virtual one similar to its previous "Time Flies" show and the WWDC 2020 keynote. As the earlier two examples were highly produced and filmed in advance without a live audience, it is highly probable the next one will follow the same pattern.

iPhone 12

Probability: Near certainty

Mock-ups of the 'iPhone 12' and 'iPhone 12 Max,' though the names may change.
Mock-ups of the 'iPhone 12' and 'iPhone 12 Max,' though the names may change.

The fall special events are known primarily to be the launch venue of that year's new iPhone models. Four models are anticipated: The "iPhone 12," the "iPhone 12 Max," the "iPhone 12 Pro," and the "iPhone 12 Pro Max," though there is the suggestion the non-Pro models may be the "iPhone 12 mini" and the 'iPhone 12."

Regardless of names, the standard models are expected to have 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch OLED displays, while the Pro pair have 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch versions. Pro models are also anticipated to have support for 120Hz ProMotion, and 10-bit color.

Around the back will be either two or three cameras, depending on the model. The non-Pro will have two 12-megapixel cameras covering wide-angle and ultra-wide photography, while the Pro adds another camera for telephoto shooting.

Pro models may also gain a LiDAR sensor, similar to the version used on the iPad Pro, for depth tracking. In theory this will benefit both AR applications and in photography, such as by providing accurate distance measurements for focussing cameras.

All models may have better camera optics, with rumors pointing to the use of a seven-element plastic lens instead of a six-element version. Further enhancements are also expected in the field of computational photography.

Video capabilities may be boosted with the addition of slo-mo recording at a 4K resolution in both 120fps and 240fps frame rates. An "Enhanced Night Mode" and "Advanced Noise Reduction" have also been brought up in reports.

The infamous notch on the front may shrink in size to lessen its appearance, while the rest of the body could use a flattened stainless steel edge instead of a gradually curving corner. The material of the chassis may vary between models, with the Pro models benefiting from the use of stainless steel instead of aluminum.

A late leak put forward the idea that the "iPhone 12" could use a hardened "Ceramic Shield" coating on the glass, to enhance strength. This would also include the use of a "Ceramic Shield Front Cover," which is described as "ceramic substrate glass" to perform similar protection duties.

Powering the devices will be the A14 SoC, supported by either 4GB or 6GB of memory, depending on the model. Storage capacities are possibly going to be at 128GB and 256GB for the "iPhone 12," with an additional 512GB option for the Pro.

5G connectivity is expected on all models, though there are questions about how it will be implemented. It is believed sub-6GHz support will be across the board, but mmWave may not be offered on all models.

Currently, the "iPhone 12" is speculated to start from $649 for the smallest model rising to $749 for the bigger version. The "iPhone 12 Pro" may launch at $999, and the Max could raise the cost to start from $1,099.

Rumors suggest Apple may not ship all of the models at once, with the proposal Apple could bring out two models at first, before shipping the other half of the range at a later time.

One leaker claimed some models of "iPhone 12" would start to ship to distributors on October 5, though this isn't necessarily the same date as units are shipped to stores or consumers.

It is also claimed the "iPhone 12 mini" and the "iPhone 12 Pro Max" may end up shipping in mid-November, with preorders for the "mini" on November 6 or 7 and shipments on November 13 or 14. The other "Max" model is suggested to start preorders on November 13 or 14 for shipment November 20 or 21.

As part of the same leak, the "iPhone 12" and "iPhone 12 Pro" will apparently start preorders from October 16 or 17, for shipment October 23 or October 24.

HomePod

Probability: Maybe

The recent elimination of rival earphones, headphones, and speakers from Apple Stores certainly suggests the introduction of new AirPods products, but also opens up the possibility of other products, such as a new HomePod.

Rumors claim a new HomePod will be half the size of the original.
Rumors claim a new HomePod will be half the size of the original.

Since the launch in 2017, the HomePod hasn't seen any real changes to its design or main functionality, but there have been suggestions in the past of Apple releasing a revised version of the smart speaker.

In April, a report claimed Apple was preparing a new HomePod to launch alongside iPhones, which would be around half the size of the original but remain similar in terms of design and functionality.

This seems to be a reasonable progression for the speaker into a range, similar to Amazon's Echo family of models.

AirTags

Probability: Unlikely

A long-rumored accessory, "AirTags" are Tile-like item-tracking accessories. In short, you attach them to items, and if they get lost, you can relocate them via an app.

A render of Apple's AirTags [via Jon Prosser]
A render of Apple's AirTags [via Jon Prosser]

In the case of "AirTags," it is thought it would work with the Find My app, with some rumors suggesting it may even include a form of augmented reality view to show the precise location of a lost item.

It is believed Apple will use both Bluetooth and Ultra-Wideband technology for the tracker. If lost in public, other passing iPhones will be able to pick up an encrypted ping from the tracker, which can then be reported back to the owner securely via iCloud.

Earlier leaks and a recent render based on a leaked video point to the "AirTags" having a circular design with a metal back, making it similar to a button or badge. It is probable that there will be some extra accessories available for attaching it to items, such as a keychain.

It is likely Apple will price "AirTags" higher than competing systems like Tile, which can sell for between $25 and $35.

A report on October 9 suggested that Apple is holding the AirTags until release in 2021.

AirPods Studio

Probability: Unlikely

Accessories intended to be used with iPhones stand a good chance of making an appearance during an iPhone event, which means there's a possibility of seeing something from the AirPods range. A strong candidate for that would be the "AirPods Studio."

Given the purging of rival personal audio products from its stores in October, the path is seemingly set for the introduction of "AirPods Studio" in the near future.

A render of the 'AirPods Studio' based on a video leak [via Jon Prosser]
A render of the 'AirPods Studio' based on a video leak [via Jon Prosser]

A long-rumored headset, the "AirPods Studio" are thought to be premium over-the-ear headphones that will offer the audio quality of AirPods, and the Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency Mode of AirPods Pro. By offering them as headphones, Apple will be able to enter a new market for AirPods, beyond the current in-ear wireless earphone market.

Powered the H1 chipset, the headphones will also offer AirPods signature "Hey Siri" support and strong connectivity, but rumors do suggest it will include other sensors enabling other features. These include proximity sensors in the headband to determine if they are worn on the head or neck, as well as possibly determining which way the headphones are being worn in terms of left and right audio channels.

The use of the U1 chip has also been proposed, which will enable it to be used with the "Find My" app if they are misplaced. The enclosed nature of the over-ear headphones should also help to create an immersive audio experience, as well as enhancing noise cancellation features.

Rumors have suggested there could be interchangeable parts on the "AirPods Studio," such as the ear cups, headband, and other elements held on by magnets. This could allow for different variations of the headphones to be made for specific needs, such as a sport-centric version using plastic and rubber while a luxury configuration could use leather and metal.

A report on October 9 says that there are likely two versions, with neither arriving at the "iPhone 12" event.

In terms of how much the "AirPods Studio" could cost, rumors point to it being priced at around $350 to start, with a luxury configuration coming in at $599. This is in the same ballpark of the Beats Studio3, which is sold in a variety of color options and uses the W1 chip for $349.

Apple Silicon

Probability: Very unlikely

Apple used WWDC to tell developers it was moving from Intel processors to its own Apple Silicon, and that the first Mac sporting the chip will arrive by the end of 2020. The move is being made as part of an aggressive two-year timeline for transition.

Apple CEO Tim Cook presenting Apple Silicon at WWDC 2020
Apple CEO Tim Cook presenting Apple Silicon at WWDC 2020

The move is important, but while it may be big enough to warrant its own event, it is also equally likely for Apple to reveal something about the effort during another presentation for its major product releases. It seems more likely that Apple will err towards the separate Apple Silicon event, but the chance of an appearance is still there.

A Bloomberg report from October 9 claims the event won't include an Apple Silicon Mac, but that the first model will instead "emerge at another launch in November." It is also suggested that the Apple Silicon version will launch alongside other products, potentially including other Intel-based Macs.

Reports have claimed the first Apple Silicon device will be either a 12-inch MacBook or some form of MacBook Pro. It will be light at 1kg, and is expected to use the A14X processor with a custom GPU, use USB Type-C, and have a battery life of between 15 and 20 hours.

On October 10, leaker "l0vetodream" quelled suggestions of it being a new model of HomePod, claiming it will only be the launch of a "mini" model.

Another from October 9 claimed the "HomePod mini" will cost $99, have a 3.3-inch speaker, and use the S5 processor. Current expectations are for its preorder to take place around November 6 or 7, with a release on November 16 or 17.
quadra 610

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Apple Glass?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 32
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    macOS 11? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    @indieshack  Probably not

@macapfel  This will depend on if there are new Macs shipping soon. Possibly, but Big Sur is still a mess.
    flyingdpbikerdudewatto_cobraaknabi
  • Reply 4 of 32
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    "Hi Speed" actually ties better with Apple silicon MAC rather than the upcoming iPhone!
    spock1234watto_cobraMisterKit
  • Reply 5 of 32
    dk49 said:
    "Hi Speed" actually ties better with Apple silicon MAC rather than the upcoming iPhone!
    We believe it's related to 5G more than anything else.
    GeorgeBMacronn
  • Reply 6 of 32
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    Fingers crossed there will be some updates on the AS Mac front. My ancient iMac is overdue for a replacement and I’m hoping for some sort of portable solution since my even more ancient MacBook Pro died.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Ofer said:
    Fingers crossed there will be some updates on the AS Mac front. My ancient iMac is overdue for a replacement and I’m hoping for some sort of portable solution since my even more ancient MacBook Pro died.
    Apple has previously promised the first Apple Silicon Mac would ship "before the end of the year."

Every other time that they have said that, in regards to the Mac, it means December. Who knows this year, though.
    GeorgeBMacpatchythepiratewatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Ofer said:
    Apple has previously promised the first Apple Silicon Mac would ship "before the end of the year."

Every other time that they have said that, in regards to the Mac, it means December. Who knows this year, though.
    Well, that gives them at least 2 years* to ship an ASi Apple Mac.

* Based on 2020 time
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    I’m most interested in AS MacBook. New iPhone doesn't excite me as much as a MacBook running on AS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Wgkrueger said:
    Ofer said:

* Based on 2020 time
    You think "before the end of the year" refers to the end of 2021? Can you explain that?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    dk49 said:
    How is "Hi Speed" even relevant to silicon Macs?   Unless someone is under the mistaken impression that Apple is switching to its own silicon to gain speed.  
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 32
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

Xed said:
    Wgkrueger said:
    Ofer said:

* Based on 2020 time
    You think "before the end of the year" refers to the end of 2021? Can you explain that?
    On June 22, Apple stated that the transition would take 2 years.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Apple TV? I mean releasing it this side of the holidays would be sensible wouldn’t it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 32
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    flydog said:

Xed said:
    Wgkrueger said:
    Ofer said:

* Based on 2020 time
    On June 22, Apple stated that the transition would take 2 years.  
    Note that Wgkrueger wrote 'an' not 'all'.

And that Mike wrote: Apple has previously promised the first Apple Silicon Mac would ship "before the end of the year."

See the reference to first Mac?

Your statement, on the other hand, is about how long it will take to complete, not when it when the first Si Mac for retail will ship.

Edit:

If you still don't believe me, here's additional info to further back up mine and Mike's comments, here's what ArsTechnia took away from WWDC.

The key announcement was the timeline: The first Mac with Apple silicon will happen by the end of the year, with the whole Intel-to-ARM transition taking around 2 years. Expect to see new Intel-based macs come out in the near future.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/06/this-is-apples-roadmap-for-moving-the-first-macs-away-from-intel/
    edited October 2020 watto_cobraronn
  • Reply 15 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dk49 said:
    If “Speed” is the theme, I’d assume they’d also apply that to faster camera, faster processor, fast screen refresh, etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 32
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    flydog said:
    dk49 said:
    How is "Hi Speed" even relevant to silicon Macs?   Unless someone is under the mistaken impression that Apple is switching to its own silicon to gain speed.  
    Well, the guy posted MAC instead of Mac, so already I have my doubts. 

As far as 5G is concerned, I'll be disappointed if Apple rolls out 5G phones. Current "5G" is pretty much a joke told by marketers, and even when it won't be, millimeter connectivity will still have issues. For people who turn over there phone every year, it won't be a problem.

For people who hang on to there phone for more than a year or two, they'll likely have a old modem when real 5G is real. I guess for the time being, "5G" is one of those boxes Apple now has to tick, just because.

I'm happy with solid LTE. Not that everybody else should be, too, but I think when it hits, 5G's novelty will wear off and a lot of people will suddenly wonder what all the fuss was about.

"This isn't the 5G you're looking for."
    watto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 17 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dk49 said:

I am betting that, however Apple structures the event, the site will be equipped with 5G and, we will likely see a demo of 5G (likely mm-wave) at its best.

As many have correctly said, mm-wave will not be out on our streets (generally).  But it is likely to be used for events like stadiums and for businesses and industry to use internally.   So, I suspect the Apple campus and particularly Steve Jobs Theater may already have it.  

Does anybody remember the good old days?

bikerdude
  • Reply 18 of 32
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    I'm excited! First new phone in 5 years!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tht said:
    I'm excited! First new phone in 5 years!

You're definitely due.
    I hear that Huawei has some great phones you might like....
    .... Sorry, it was just too big of a target   >:
  • Reply 20 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    dk49 said:

I am betting that, however Apple structures the event, the site will be equipped with 5G and, we will likely see a demo of 5G (likely mm-wave) at its best.

As many have correctly said, mm-wave will not be out on our streets (generally).  But it is likely to be used for events like stadiums and for businesses and industry to use internally.   So, I suspect the Apple campus and particularly Steve Jobs Theater may already have it.  

Does anybody remember the good old days?

One of my personal faves (from minute 6)

edited October 2020