Time to wipe Classic?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
That 4GB worth of hard drive partition is looking awfully tempting. I've used Classic exactly once in the last four months, and that was by accident - I downloaded an OS9-made .sit that wasn't smart enough to call the OSX StuffIt, and I wasn't smart enough to stop it. When I first got my OSX-iBook, I used Classic a fair bit, before I collected enough OSX-native apps. But I very quickly found myself only booting it up to play games, and even that stopped when Civ3 finally came out.

Who's taken the plunge and purged their Mac of the last vestiges of OS9? Is there any reason, aside from the sentimental, that I shouldn't? My lab data could really use the lebensraum, though it's going to have to hold off the mp3 hordes to get it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I would say go for it. I used to own a iMac DV a few years back and as soon as it came out, i ran the public beta of OSX. Even then I only used classic a few times.

But I am a web designer, so all I really need is a decent text editor.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    snowstersnowster Posts: 68member
    OK, here is what I have done. During the last year there were maybe 3-5 situations where I needed classic. In the early days of Mac OS X I had a partition for classic. Now all that's left is a CD with an 'classic image'.

When I need classic it takes me 2 minutes to copy the system folder from that CD to my OS X partition and to start classic. So basically my machine doesnt have classic installed but if I ever need to run a classic application I will quickly copy my classic environment over.

I havent needed classic in the last 6 months, so if you ask me, it is really time to wipe that classic partition from your Mac. You wont miss it!

-Snowster
  • Reply 3 of 19
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I haven't had any form of OS 9 loaded on either of my machines in over a month, and haven't missed it.

There is a back up drive from, ooh, August last year which has bootable OS 9, but that's on the shelf.

Snowster, just as a FYI, one thing I did discover a while back when I was getting ready for the big switch-off is that you can perform a virgin installation (or just a drag'n'drop copy) of OS 9 into a Disk Image, then burn that onto a CD: when you need Classic, pop in the CD, double click on the image and let it mount. Classic has no problems booting 9, and it saves all that messing about copying and deleting the System Folder.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    After getting my iBook back from Apple, I reinstalled everything but since my iBook didn't come with an OS 9 install CD, I had to use my dad's OS 9 install CD from his PowerBook G4/550. I didn't want to bother with my software restore CD as I wanted Classic to be on its own partition (2 GB). Anyway, there must be something different between the PowerBook and my iBook because now my iBook's monitor behaves really weird when booted into OS 9... it thinks there are two monitors attached, and that the external one can only do 640x480. So I either have to set the internal to 1024x768 and just hope I don't lose the mouse in the other (nonexistent) monitor, or I can set it to mirror but then my iBook's internal monitor gets set to 640x480. Here's the really strange part though - when it's at 640x480, it actually displays true pixels, with large bars to the sides of it. So I get a little 640x480 pixel square in the middle of the screen. I've never seen anything like it, but at least it's nicer than the LCD trying to put 640x480 pixels over the ENTIRE screen. Still, I'm thinking of wiping the computer yet again and installing OS X and OS 9 through the software restore CDs so it works like it should. I don't use OS 9 for much but I do have a program that is required for my nutrition class that only runs in 9, and I also sometimes play Unreal Tournament with my friends... although it has a (quite poor) Carbon version. I already have the carbonized version of Starcraft

Okay so the point to this long, pointless ramble is that there is no point. And there's no spoon either. But I think I saw a spork in there somewhere.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I did a format install of Jag and never installed classic. If you are gonna go, go all out.

When panther arrives, I'll do the same. Having two huge internal HDs makes this easy!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    It's a shame; you don't see many classics around here anymore. I had to get rid of mine a year ago.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I wiped Classic last summer after I got DreamweaverMX and PhotoshopElements .... havn't missed it once.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    How do you actually clean your mac from OS 9 ?

What do I have to delete ?

Txs
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vasco Casquilho

How do you actually clean your mac from OS 9 ?

What do I have to delete ?

Txs

I have been wondering the same thing?

Cheers,

Dan
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Just trash any classic applications you have and then trash the classic "System Folder" with the "9" logo on the icon.

Simple as that.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Just delete your "System Folder" (Make sure *not* to delete the "System" folder... there is a difference ) And then delete the Applications (Mac OS 9), and any other classic apps.

I got rid of classic this past January once Apple stopped shipping machines with OS 9 on them. Since I hadn't run classic for a good three months and Apple now declared that no new machines would have it, I figureed it was a good time.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the "Desktop (Mac OS 9)" alias that OS X puts on your hard drive? I've tried using the terminal to remove it, but it just gets recreated every time I boot up. Now that classic is gone, I don't feel like having remnants all across my hard drive.

Edit: Arrgh, Brad you beat me to it... Dvorak is *so* slow (right now, of course).
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Sorry for being nervous, but just to clarify. I should move both "System Foler 9" and "Applications (Mac OS 9)" to the trash? Should I back them up first, keep in mind I've never used OS 9 and this is my first Mac.

Thanks for putting up,

Dan
  • Reply 13 of 19
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuzzardsBay

Sorry for being nervous, but just to clarify. I should move both "System Foler 9" and "Applications (Mac OS 9)" to the trash? Should I back them up first, keep in mind I've never used OS 9 and this is my first Mac.

Thanks for putting up,

Dan

If you've never once used Classic, then I wouldn't worry about it, just delete "System Folder" and your OS 9 apps. If you haven't needed Classic by now, it doesn't seem likely you're going to need it in the future.

OTOH, if you want to play it safe, it certainly can't hurt to make a backup, say, either on a CD or external HD, of your System Folder and OS 9 apps, just in case you ever need to use Classic for some curious OS 9-only application.

It's up to you.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    I just tried moving "System Folder" (with the 9 on it), "Applications" (Mac OS 9) and "Desktop" (Mac OS 9) into the trash, but the action was not allowed.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Try this:

Open the "System Folder" (with the 9 on it) and drag the Finder icon (don't worry, that's the Classic Finder, not the OSX one) to the Trash. Then logout or relaunch the Finder. The "System Folder" should now look like a regular folder without the 9 icon. Now you should be able to drag it to the trash.

As for the other two folders, I'm not sure why it wouldn't let you delete them. Try dragging all the contents of the "Applications (Mac OS 9)" folder to the trash, log out or relaunch the Finder, and try deleting the folder again.

I think it's new in 10.2 that the system wants to hold on to these folders. I think Apple did this to keep users from accidentally deleting the Classic stuff. Still, you'd think there'd be a more straightforward way of telling the computer, "yes I DO really want to trash Classic. go away, you stubborn old system!"

PS: You should be logged in as the admin user of the machine to delete these folders, I believe.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    I've got some better advice: DON'T DELETE IT!

No offense, but if you don't know enough about your computer to delete files without using the "Trash", then you probably shouldn't be messing about willy-nilly. If you're really crunched for hard drive space, then maybe you should think about getting rid of classic, but not before then.

[B]Note to gleeful tech heads advising people to get rid of Classic:[/B}It's dumb to get rid of it just because "OS X is the future." Classic is still handy from time to time, and it's foolhardy to encourage people to delete it just for the hell of it. I guarantee you that your bad advise will cause problems for a computer novice sooner or later.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    First off, I am by no means a computer novice, just a Mac novice.

Second, I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right so as to not cause any OS X problems.

I have never used 9 and am sure I never will. Especially now the 9 System Folder and Applications have been trashed. Thanks Brad.

Is there anyway to get ride of the "Desktop" (Mac OS 9) Folder, the contents are gone, but the folder won't delete because it is owned by root.

Cheers,

Dan

PS You guys need a Beer graemlin.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

No offense, but if you don't know enough about your computer to delete files without using the "Trash", then you probably shouldn't be messing about willy-nilly.

Are you saying that you have to be a command line saavy Unix expert in order to delete an ancient, secondary operating system that you have never used and never expect to use? Please.

Moving on...

Quote:

Originally posted by BuzzardsBay

Is there anyway to get ride of the "Desktop" (Mac OS 9) Folder, the contents are gone, but the folder won't delete because it is owned by root.

Ah, yes, I forgot that the system creates that alias as root for some reason. I've never understood why Apple does this. Personally, I consider it a bug.

First, open the alias and double check, making absolutely sure there's nothing in the folder it links to. Delete all contents if there are any. Then, to change the owner of the alias itself and delete it, select it in the Finder and choose Get Info from the File menu. Click the disclosure triangle by the "Ownership & Permissions" title. Click the padlock button to allow changes and enter your password if prompted. Then, from the popup menu for "Owner", change it to your name and make sure your access ir "read & write". Close the info window and now you should be able to delete the offending file.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Brad,

That's what I did to delete the other folders, however when I try to change the system to dan(me) it won't switch. So, i cannot change the read write option. Even after prompted for my password. It won't change to any of the other options.

Also it's a shortcut (little arrow in the corner) does that make a difference. I would assume it would be easier to delete, but it does not want to leave.

Thanks,

Dan