Microsoft to adopt app store guiding principles for Windows, but not Xbox

Posted:
in General Discussion
In a thinly veiled shot at Apple's App Store, Microsoft has adopted 10 guiding principles that it will apply to its Microsoft Store on Windows 10.

Credit: Microsoft
Credit: Microsoft

Microsoft has been critical of Apple's App Store and developer guidelines, specifically as they relate to the company's Xbox Game Pass cloud streaming service.

On Thursday, Microsoft published a list of principles that it says it will adopt for its Microsoft Store as a way to show it will "practice what we preach."

Some of the principles include not blocking rival app stores from Windows, not barring apps with alternate payment systems, and charging "reasonable fees that reflect the competition we face from other app stores on Windows."

"For software developers, app stores have become a critical gateway to some of the world's most popular digital platforms," Microsoft wrote. "We and others have raised questions and, at times, expressed concerns about app stores on other digital platforms."

On the other hand, Microsoft won't be applying those same principles to its Xbox system, claiming that "game consoles are specialized devices optimized for a particular use."

"Console makers such as Microsoft invest significantly in developing dedicated console hardware but sell them below cost or at very low margins to create a market that game developers and publishers can benefit from. Given these fundamental differences in the significance of the platform and the business model, we have more work to do to establish the right set of principles for game consoles," the company wrote.

The guiding principles that Microsoft says it will adopt are inspired and build upon the work of the Coalition for App Fairness, a nonprofit comprised of technology companies and advocates that push for freedom and choice and competition.

Some of the principles include ones that seem specifically aimed at Apple's guidelines, including allowing third-party app stores and not using an app's data to compete with them. Its members of the Coalition include companies that have had dust ups with Apple in the past, including Basecamp and Epic Games.

Microsoft executives have previously raised concerns about Apple's App Store policies to antitrust investigators. Company president Brad Smith has called for a formal antitrust review of the app marketplace, but doesn't believe that the Xbox game store needs similar review.

Similarly, the two companies are in the midst of a dustup due to Apple's prohibition of cloud-based streaming platforms. Microsoft has accused Apple of treating gaming apps "differently," and even after Apple loosened rules, the Windows maker said that they still make for a "bad experience."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    That’s the right way to go forward - Apple should adopt it.
    I doubt that Apple would loose too much money by allowing 3rd party app stores - even if this would mean that the commission is going down.
    Security should also remain intact, because 3rd party app stores would need to use install permissions granted by Apple (in contrast to jail breaking).
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    xyzzy-xxx said:
    I doubt that Apple would loose too much money by allowing 3rd party app stores - even if this would mean that the commission is going down.
    Security should also remain intact, because 3rd party app stores would need to use install permissions granted by Apple (in contrast to jail breaking).
    Okay, so the app store is secure, but how does Apple know that the apps being sold in that store are secure?

It's easy for Microsoft to adopt these principles because their reputation isn't based around security and privacy for its customers.

Secondly, the comparison makes no sense: they're comparing their desktop operating system to a mobile operating system, which they have to do because their mobile platform crashed and burned.

Here's the real comparison: MacOS App Store and Windows 10

And whaddya know, we're looking at a completely empty gesture because you can get apps outside MacOS store and use a separate app store if you want to. (In fact lots of apps available on the Mac App store are also available on SetApp)

edited October 2020 foregoneconclusionCloudTalkinBeatstmaymike1rob53trackerozanomedewmemobird
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Does that mean Windows 10S will allow third party app stores now? because if not this is all just talk about nothing changing and coming from a company that makes most of their money from software and subscription sales... not hardware 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Rayz2016 said:
    xyzzy-xxx said:
    Okay, so the app store is secure, but how does Apple know that the apps being sold in that store are secure?

It's easy for Microsoft to adopt these principles because their reputation isn't based around security and privacy for its customers.

Secondly, the comparison makes no sense: they're comparing their desktop operating system to a mobile operating system, which they have to do because their mobile platform crashed and burned.

And whaddya know, we're looking at a completely empty gesture because you can get apps outside MacOS store and use a separate app store if you want to. (In fact lots of apps available on the Mac App store are also available on SetApp)

Regarding app security: apple’s app store was never good in regarding this (think pasteboard sniffing) - the security gas to come from iOS itself (sandboxing and alerts when an app requests access to private data).

Regarding platforms - isn’t apple trying to make the iPad a desktop competitor - I think it’s perfectly reasonable that all platforms should be open to allow apps installed from different sources, it’s up to the user to decide whom to trust.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    xyzzy-xxx said:

What a dumb idea. So Apple should go out of it's way and spend money on opening iOS to make it less secure WHY?

"3rd party app stores would need to use install permissions granted by Apple (in contrast to jail breaking)."

What an f'n joke. Now Apple needs to manage various App Stores at once. Again, WHY?
    edited October 2020 tmayrazorpitradarthekatgregoriusmAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    C'mon...console games for the upcoming generation are $70 for the standard version and even higher if you want the extras. A high-priced iOS/iPadOS game would be $9.99. MS focusing on the hardware margins per the store's cut is largely meaningless when you have such a big difference in software prices. 
    razorpitradarthekatAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 28
    xyzzy-xxx said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    xyzzy-xxx said:

Regarding app security: apple’s app store was never good in regarding this (think pasteboard sniffing) - the security gas to come from iOS itself (sandboxing and alerts when an app requests access to private data).

Regarding platforms - isn’t apple trying to make the iPad a desktop competitor - I think it’s perfectly reasonable that all platforms should be open to allow apps installed from different sources, it’s up to the user to decide whom to trust.

My goodness it gets worse.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    xyzzy-xxx said:
    Stay on your meds.  Clearly logic alludes you when you're not on them.

Microsoft is being a hypocrite.  Windows is not a closed system.  It needs 3rd-party hardware (i.e. PC's) to use its operating system for the majority of its users.  Since you conveniently ignored it, Microsoft is continuing to keep the Xbox ecosystem locked down... just like Apple.

Just stop.
    mike1BeatstmayStrangeDaysanomedewmeAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Beats said:
    xyzzy-xxx said:

What a dumb idea. So Apple should go out of it's way and spend money on opening iOS to make it less secure WHY?

"3rd party app stores would need to use install permissions granted by Apple (in contrast to jail breaking)."

What an f'n joke. Now Apple needs to manage various App Stores at once. Again, WHY?
    Nope - you didn’t understand:

1. Apple will probably be regulated (by law) to do so and Microsoft reacted in advance

2. Security comes from iOS - the App Store is not good in this respect

3. And no - Apple does not need (and has no right) to manage various app stores - iOS applies the security rules and the app stores itself need to comply with the law
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Ironic coming from the master of stealing IP, and wielding monopolistic power for decades to crush and destroy rivals and competition...

razorpitAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Microsoft following Apple's lead because they're clueless as usual.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    ph382ph382 Posts: 43member
    I have never figured out who would set up an alternate App Store, and more importantly, who would risk shopping there.  Clues?
    gregoriusmAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    ph382 said:
    I have never figured out who would set up an alternate App Store, and more importantly, who would risk shopping there.  Clues?
    Looking at Apple setting up an app store could be a huge business, so there might be a lot if interest.

As outlined before the app store is not very good in respect of security but more regarding conformity.

If I could get the same app from a company I trust for less in an alternate app store - so why not?

On my Mac most of the software is not from the app store - and the Mac does not even sandbox this software, so why should I hesitate buying from another iOS app store software that will be perfectly sandboxed?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,883member
    This is fluff nonsense -- the PC market is already the Wild West, so of course Microsoft won't block other stores -- they're only an OS provider, they don't make all PCs and have no ability to so.. But they do make all Xboxes -- a specialized PC built with commodity PC hardware that could do general computing if they allowed third-party app stores for it. But they don't. Just like Apple. Just like Tesla. Just like Nintendo. Just like Sony. etc etc.

Next.
    edited October 2020 anomegregoriusmAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    xyzzy-xxx said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    xyzzy-xxx said:

...... - I think it’s perfectly reasonable that all platforms should be open to allow apps installed from different sources, it’s up to the user to decide whom to trust.
    Its Apples platform.. they can choose what they want to do with it..and assume the risk.  IOS is not a Commodity!!! It is a choice among others. 
     If a consumer does not like it  he/she can go to other platforms.
    I prefers Apples Approach and i pay a premium for it !
    Why should Apple be forced to change depriving those who prefer it? 
    The choice is there.  Go to another platform that pleases you. 
    anomeAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Hmm, if you’re a developer paying more than $1000 a year for a MSDN subscription versus Apple’s $99 per year, exactly how is Microsoft’s “guiding principles” making your life better? 

In case you haven’t noticed it yet, there is a concerted and orchestrated effort by several a major ISVs including MSFT to break Apple’s dominance in the competitive marketplace. Simply put, all of these companies that have failed to compete against Apple on a level competitive playing field are trying to use the court of public opinion and political hacks to do what their engineers were unable to accomplish when presented with the challenge to out-innovate, out-perform, and out-satisfy buyers in the markets that they compete against Apple. They have basically given up and thrown in the towel because they couldn’t compete on a level playing field, so now now they want to tilt the field. Quite pathetic and  demoralizing for the people involved. Microsoft and its army of mediocrity is shooting for a big shiny participation trophy and guaranteed payday, courtesy of Uncle Sam. 

At least Gates and Balmer tried to win.
    tmayradarthekatnewtonrjjdb8167Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 28
    ph382ph382 Posts: 43member
    xyzzy-xxx said:
    ... so why should I hesitate buying from another iOS app store software that will be perfectly sandboxed?
    My reasoning would be: 1) a phone is a homing beacon that shows my location 24 / 7 - a desktop isn't; 2) Apple has the motivation of protecting privacy so I'll buy more hardware - an alternate app store doesn't; and 3) on my $600 - $1200 phone, I'm not going to carp about a few dollars more for an app that has been screened.

gregoriusmAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    dewme said:
    Hmm, if you’re a developer paying more than $1000 a year for a MSDN subscription versus Apple’s $99 per year, exactly how is Microsoft’s “guiding principles” making your life better? 

In case you haven’t noticed it yet, there is a concerted and orchestrated effort by several a major ISVs including MSFT to break Apple’s dominance in the competitive marketplace. Simply put, all of these companies that have failed to compete against Apple on a level competitive playing field are trying to use the court of public opinion and political hacks to do what their engineers were unable to accomplish when presented with the challenge to out-innovate, out-perform, and out-satisfy buyers in the markets that they compete against Apple. They have basically given up and thrown in the towel because they couldn’t compete on a level playing field, so now now they want to tilt the field. Quite pathetic and  demoralizing for the people involved. Microsoft and its army of mediocrity is shooting for a big shiny participation trophy and guaranteed payday, courtesy of Uncle Sam. 

At least Gates and Balmer tried to win.
    Kurt Vonnegut wrote a novel that you might like;

Harrison Bergeron

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron

"In the year 2081, the 211th, 212th, and 213th amendments to the Constitution dictate that all Americans are fully equal and not allowed to be smarter, better-looking, or more physically able than anyone else. The Handicapper General's agents enforce the equality laws, forcing citizens to wear "handicaps": masks for those who are too beautiful, loud radios that disrupt thoughts inside the ears of intelligent people, and heavy weights for the strong or athletic.

One April, 14-year-old Harrison Bergeron, an intelligent, athletic, and good-looking teenager, is taken away from his parents, George and Hazel Bergeron, by the government. They are barely aware of the tragedy, as Hazel has "average" intelligence (a euphemism for stupidity), and George has a handicap radio installed by the government to regulate his above-average intelligence.

Hazel and George watch ballet on television. They comment on the dancers, who are weighed down to counteract their gracefulness and masked to hide their attractiveness. George's thoughts are continually interrupted by the different noises emitted by his handicap radio, which piques Hazel's curiosity and imagination regarding handicaps. Noticing his exhaustion, Hazel urges George to lie down and rest his "handicap bag", 47 pounds (21 kg) of weights locked around George's neck. She suggests taking a few of the weights out of the bag, but George resists, aware of the illegality of such an action.

On television, a news reporter struggles to read the bulletin and hands it to the ballerina wearing the most grotesque mask and heaviest weights. She begins reading in her unacceptably natural, beautiful voice, then apologizes before switching to a more unpleasant voice. Harrison's escape from prison is announced, and a full-body photograph of Harrison is shown, indicating that he is seven feet (2.1 m) tall and burdened by three hundred pounds (140 kg) of handicaps.

George recognizes his son for a moment, before having the thought eliminated by his radio. Harrison himself then storms the television studio in an attempt to overthrow the government. He calls himself the Emperor and rips off all of his handicaps, along with the handicaps of a ballerina, whom he proclaims his "Empress". He orders the musicians to play, promising them nobility if they do their best. Unhappy with their initial attempt, Harrison takes control for a short while, and the music improves. After listening and being moved by the music, Harrison and his Empress dance while flying to the ceiling, then pause in mid-air to kiss.

Diana Moon Glampers, the Handicapper General, enters the studio and kills Harrison and the Empress with a ten-gauge double-barreled shotgun. She forces the musicians to put on their handicaps, and the television goes dark. George, unaware of the televised incident, returns from the kitchen and asks Hazel why she was crying, to which she replies that something sad happened on television that she cannot remember. He comforts her and they return to their average lives."

edited October 2020 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    I am curious as to how alternate app stores would be of any value to the device user, it seems to me you would just have another entity involved that could potentially muck things up since their attention probably won’t be as focused as Apple’s. I say this because they would have no where near the vested interest in protecting the ecosphere as Apple does. I think the better approach is for Apple to amend its rules to be more transparent and allow for an appeal process for developers. Apple should also lower their percentage on a tiered system where smaller companies pay less and larger companies pay more, this could be done by app sales or higher developers cost (the $99 thing). 

I’m not convinced alternate stores would in the end be successful?
    edited October 2020 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    If they are talking Windows, the Mac also allows alternate app stores.
    tmayAlex1Nwatto_cobra