Analysts worry about UK 5G support in 'iPhone 12'

Posted:
in iPhone
Members of the UK's telecommunications industry are concerned that support for the country's 5G networks may be limited in the upcoming "iPhone 12" release, with fears it may not include support for 700MHz networks.

Telecomms antenna Pixabay

It is believed 5G will be an important feature for the 2020 iPhone range, with the new communications technology promising high speed connectivity to consumers. However, Apple's popular iPhone may cause issues for some carriers, depending on Apple's implementation of the technology.

According to analysts speaking to The Telegraph, if Apple elects to not include support for 700MHz 5G bands, this could prevent it from working fully with carriers that build out their networks using it. Carriers are expected to take part in a 700MHz spectrum auction set to take place in early 2021, organized by national regulator Ofcom.

Carriers had the opportunity to reuse existing unused spectrum they own for 5G communications, as well as to repurpose bands already in use for the same purpose, but most elected to wait for the auction to acquire more. The problem is that carriers are already at capacity with their existing allocations.

The exception to the carriers is apparently Three, as the company already owns a considerable amount of 5G spectrum in bands that are expected to be usable by the iPhone. In the event 700MHz bands aren't supported by Apple, this would hand Three a sizable advantage in the UK.

This would be a similar situation to one that took place during the launch of the iPhone 5, with carrier EE the only one in the market with sufficient 4G coverage to be reliable.

After the auction, the rollout of 700MHz 5G networks will be "quite quick" according to 5G analyst Simon Rockman, "because the networks really, really need it." The UK telecommunications industry may talk about "missed opportunities" if Apple doesn't include 700MHz support, suggests Rockman.

Lacking support for 700MHz may also lead to "coverage problems" for consumers, warns Assembly analyst Matthew Howett. "The spectrum bands that the iPhone works on are crucially important," he said.

The talk of spectrum support may be very late in the day for UK carriers considering the expected launch of the new models on Tuesday. As Apple hasn't given any indication of what bands it will or won't support ahead of launch, it's possible the fears could be completely unwarranted.

What is 5G?

Telecommunications known as 5G actually covers two different spectrum areas: Sub-6GHz and mmWave.

The sub-6GHz bands, as mentioned above, will provide widespread coverage for carriers, with highly durable bands being used that are somewhat close to the ranges used by carriers currently. This includes T-Mobile's 600MHz-based 5G network, which practically consists of solely 600MHz spectrum.

The headline speeds of 5G are supplied by what's known as mmWave, spectrum in the range of 24GHz to 100GHz, which could provide gigabit-speed connections to users. However, mmWave signals are fragile, easily blocked by surfaces and even rain, and operate at far shorter distances.

For carriers, this means mmWave 5G will be reserved for cities and built-up areas with high population densities, while sub-6GHz bands will be used for blanket coverage. All of it will be classifiable as 5G, with most consumers using the slower version the majority of the time, and the higher-band version where available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    LOL! 
    "The spectrum bands that the iPhone works on are crucially important," he said.
    And so what is he suggesting by that statement, that Apple is somehow obliged to use the frequencies available in the UK? It's so reminiscent of several governments trying to micromanage iOS, and now people are expecting Apple's hardware to also be micromanaged by the government.

If GM doesn't want to make cars with left-handed steering, there's nothing the UK can do to force them. And if Apple doesn't want to sell iPhones with certain hardware frequencies, there's nothing the UK can do to force them either. 

It sounds like one UK vendor actually planned ahead by investing properly, and now the UK telecom industry is unhappy that they aren't getting the same windfall as the smart company. 
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Except Three has halted 5G rollout in central London, apparently due to the Huawei debacle. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 29
    5G is marketing hype. Almost no one needs it in a mobile phone. It’s mainly a way to provide carriers more capacity. They can get that capacity in many different ways. 5G is Qualcomm’s very successful marketing hype to pressure Apple to use their chips and sell more chips to everyone.
    lkruppPetrolDaveqwerty52StrangeDaysMplsPelijahg
  • Reply 4 of 29
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I've read several articles suggesting that Apple will support Sub6Ghz and not worry about mmWave until next year. So 700Mhz support is the more not less likely. mmWave will be a long time in coming. 
    PetrolDaveqwerty52iconaught
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Maybe it’s just me, but why not wait until the phones are announced to review and be worried about the support or lack thereof. 
    mwhiteiconaughtseanj
  • Reply 6 of 29
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    RS232 said:
    5G is marketing hype. Almost no one needs it in a mobile phone. It’s mainly a way to provide carriers more capacity. They can get that capacity in many different ways. 5G is Qualcomm’s very successful marketing hype to pressure Apple to use their chips and sell more chips to everyone.
    I feel the same way you do about this ... at the moment. LTE has worked out well (though America's LTE is curiously lacking behind other countries such as Korea and Canada) and the speeds are quite sufficient to do what you tend to want to do on a mobile phone (HD or better video being a notable exception).

However, just as increases in processor speeds and cable bandwidth internet speeds have fostered new industries, new innovations, and higher customer satisfaction, so too will sub-6 "5G" and mmwave "5G" (if the inherent problems with the latter can eventually be overcome). So, in general, people saying "[the present technology] is more than most people need" is the equivalent of Bill Gates' famous "640K [cache] is enough for anyone."

That said, you are certainly not wrong about it being a way for carriers to provide more capacity as an equally important selling point, and that (mmwave) 5G has been overhyped when most people, even in cities, are on a typical-use basis going to be getting (slower but still an improvement on LTE) sub-6ghz "5G" on a day-to-day basis.
    PetrolDavemuthuk_vanalingamcaladanianMplsP
  • Reply 7 of 29
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    Do these analysts in the UK not realize that all three major carriers in the US have had LTE on 700MHz for years and they’re rolling out 5G on this frequency as well?
    entropysGeorgeBMacaderutter
  • Reply 8 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    As far as I can read on various websites, here in Canada 5G cell towers is already deployed in its largest cities by Rogers starting in January 2020 (Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal) and by Bell starting in June 2020 (in a similar number of cities but not the same cities.)

I'm wondering if people who have a contract with one of these companies using an LTE phone will have to change their contract (and increase payments) in order to get 5G service or if the 5G speeds will essentially be provided to existing companies at no extra cost. Canadians pay a ton of money for cell service and that's partly because the government of Canada does not permit wholesale network access to its MVNOs so there isn't much competition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_mobile_phone_companies <-- So my guess is that it will be included at no extra cost.

I think I read somewhere that Rogers' 5G deployments are FR1 only, which is only 15%-50% faster than 4G LTE, so I wouldn't waste my money on a small increment like that. I'm not sure if Bell is using FR1 or FR2. But I think FR2 is the finicky but faster version, so 5G doesn't appeal to me that much.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    What tends to be forgotten is that 5G is not thought to solely boost smart phone internet speeds, but to open the gate for IoT communication across all kinds of devices. 
    One area, e.g., is smart factories. 
    chiacaladanian
  • Reply 10 of 29
    I really don't care about 5G. We only got 4G last year and only then in one room upstairs. yes, I live out in the sticks. There are no major roads nearby where we could piggyback on that sort of buildout.

The UK networks say (yeah right) that they'll have 95% coverage by 2023. I'll believe that when I see it.

• Reply 11 of 29
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Wouldn’t be just dandy if the carriers in the US would actually provide signal to areas other than the big cities and along the interstate? 

It’s like my phone bill is taxed fees every month to provide cellular service to “rural” areas, but nothing is ever provided. It’s almost like these fees are just subsides to the phone companies who turn around and give them to their investors and politicians. 

No, instead, we spend for tech we don’t need, instead of tech we do need. 
  • Reply 12 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    LOL! 
    And so what is he suggesting by that statement, that Apple is somehow obliged to use the frequencies available in the UK? It's so reminiscent of several governments trying to micromanage iOS, and now people are expecting Apple's hardware to also be micromanaged by the government.

If GM doesn't want to make cars with left-handed steering, there's nothing the UK can do to force them. And if Apple doesn't want to sell iPhones with certain hardware frequencies, there's nothing the UK can do to force them either. 

It sounds like one UK vendor actually planned ahead by investing properly, and now the UK telecom industry is unhappy that they aren't getting the same windfall as the smart company. 
    Who is talking about forcing anyone to do anything?  If Apple sell a 5G iPhone that doesn't work on all but one network then they may find that limit the new iPhone's appeal in the UK, because not everyone wants to switch carrier and Three are not the best regarded.  That's all. 
    qwerty52seanj
  • Reply 13 of 29
    crowley said:
    LOL! 

Who is talking about forcing anyone to do anything?  If Apple sell a 5G iPhone that doesn't work on all but one network then they may find that limit the new iPhone's appeal in the UK, because not everyone wants to switch carrier and Three are not the best regarded.  That's all. 

Af course, nobody but the market is forcing Apple to do, whatever Apple is doing with its iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    larryjw said:
    Wouldn’t be just dandy if the carriers in the US would actually provide signal to areas other than the big cities and along the interstate? 

It’s like my phone bill is taxed fees every month to provide cellular service to “rural” areas, but nothing is ever provided. It’s almost like these fees are just subsides to the phone companies who turn around and give them to their investors and politicians. 

Why would they?   That's a money losing proposition.

A century ago the U.S. faced the same predicament with electricity.   They solved it back then with government programs such as the TVA.   But that was back when America saw itself as a growing and promising nation and was willing to invest in itself and its future.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 29
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    larryjw said:

A century ago the U.S. faced the same predicament with electricity.   They solved it back then with government programs such as the TVA.   But that was back when America saw itself as a growing and promising nation and was willing to invest in itself and its future.
    This is where the SpaceX StarLink network of satellites that is being deployed will earn its keep -  rural internet, which could help with rural calls, globally.  
    iconaughtcaladanian
  • Reply 16 of 29
    but... my 3 year old iPhone X already has 5G !!! .... it tells me so all the time next to the signal bars!!!

(It's ALL marketing.. and there's no requirement for truth.)

• Reply 17 of 29
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    Will be interesting to see if the iOS 14 settings and future iOS include option to shut off 5G,  giving the user option to save battery life.  Can’t wait to hear real world reports of battery drain or no not a big drain from this much hyped 5G.
    aderutter
  • Reply 18 of 29
    but... my 3 year old iPhone X already has 5G !!! .... it tells me so all the time next to the signal bars!!!

(It's ALL marketing.. and there's no requirement for truth.)

You prefer companies who are more honest.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    cg27 said:
    larryjw said:

This is where the SpaceX StarLink network of satellites that is being deployed will earn its keep -  rural internet, which could help with rural calls, globally.  

I would never want to bet against Elon Musk.   But even 5G companies are saying it won't replace the speed and bandwidth of Fiber Optic cables anytime soon.   So, with all the physical barriers (mostly distance), I would wonder how much Starlink is merely trying to produce a cell signal vs being able to compete with cable and 5G.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    I understand that the iPhone 12 will be shipping with the Qualcomm Snapdragon Modem and at least the x55 and if we're really lucky the 5nm fabrication x60. They support low-band FDD spectrum. It supports standalone network. It supports spectrum sharing between 4G and 5G. So the support for sub 6Ghz frequencies (which includes the spectrum that has been auctioned to carriers in the UK) is in there.
    Given that the Qualcomm X55 and X50 are being tested by 3 and Vodafone (among others) since 2019.  I would be more confident that the iPhone 12 will work if there is a network to connect to.  Given that challenges in the UK and Europe this year in deployment with towers being set on fire and engineers being shot at, I would expect that those incidents may have impacted installation schedules.

Here's some good summaries of testing efforts and roll-out details that the analysts are missing out on.  
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/vodafone-tests-dss-using-700-800-mhz-spectrum
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/5g-handsets-and-networks-everything-you-need-to-know-about-roll-outs-and-roadmaps-for-the-uk/

caladanianGeorgeBMacCloudTalkin