Spotify threatening developers over apps that transfer playlists to other services

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Developers who provide the ability to transfer Spotify playlists to Apple Music, or other services, are reportedly being told their access to the Spotify SDK will be revoked.

Apple Music vs Spotify
Apple Music vs Spotify

As it continues to say Apple "threatens our collective freedoms to listen, create, and connect," Spotify has allegedly begun notifying developers that they can no longer transfer playlists to other services. SongShift reports that it has been told to cease such transfers or risk losing access to the Spotify SDK.

"The Spotify Developer Platform Team reached out and let us know we'd need to remove transferring from their service to a competing music service or have our API access revoked due to TOS [terms of service] violation," announced SongShift in a blog post.

"While this is not the news we wanted to hear, we respect their decision," it continued. As of the next release, SongShift v5.1.2, Spotify transfers will end. "This update is a painful one to push out to you all. We hope to continue to be of help with all your other music transferring needs."

Spotify has yet to comment publicly, and it is unclear why it would be enforcing this contractual condition now when its developer agreement has forbidden it since at least 2018. "Do not transfer Spotify Content... to another music service that competes with Spotify or the Spotify Service," says Spotify's developer agreement.

However, while SongShift appears to be the only developer to have formally announced this requirement, others seem to be preparing for it. A Google search on "Spotify Transfers," for instance, reveals a similar notice from the TuneMyMusic service -- although that same notice cannot currently be found on the company's website.

Also, similar service FreeYourMusic said on Twitter that it will continue to do so, as "we use a different method (we stopped using their official SDK)."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    So I understand this correctly. Spotify repeatedly breaking Apple's App store Terms of Service is ok, but developers who break Spotify's TOS get access to Spotify revoked and perma-banned.

Also for consideration: Spotify breaking Apple's TOS: Good for Spotify (because we already saw they were never passing on a discount to their subscribers.) But third parties breaking Spotify's TOS: Good for consumers, as it lets users easily switch music services due to lock-in.
    jas99mike54DoomFreaksuperklotoncat52GG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Let's see how long it takes Apple to suspend Spotify over this type of behavior. Your data should be your data, no matter the platform or "form" it takes.
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Hardly upsetting. Apple does this type of thing all the time.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Hello pot. Meet kettle. 

Quick Apple!! Run to the EU and tell!!
    jas99dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Oh, the rancid smell of hypocrisy.  

Spotify has yet to comment publicly, and it is unclear why it would be enforcing this contractual condition now when its developer agreement has forbidden it since at least 2018. "Do not transfer Spotify Content... to another music service that competes with Spotify or the Spotify Service," says Spotify's developer agreement

Now all the folk who're whining about Apple having a monopoly in their own' shop, here we have an actual case of a company using its monopoly position to prevent other  services entering the marketplace. 

Spotify is not preventing other companies from setting up alternative playlists on the Spotify service.

Spotify is trying to use its market position to prevent other alternative services from being created OUTSIDE their shop.

If I don't like the way Apple runs the app store, I move to Android.

Spotify is trying to make sure that you're punished for moving away from your service, in the hope that it will stop other services from surviving.

Almost as bad as Amazon not allowing your books to be sold anywhere else if you sign up to KDP.

jas99GG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24

amar99 said:
    Let's see how long it takes Apple to suspend Spotify over this type of behavior. Your data should be your data, no matter the platform or "form" it takes.

Well, not sure about the rest of the world, but under EU law, Spotify's rule is unenforceable.

https://gdpr.eu/article-20-right-to-data-portability/

So all a developer has to do is make a complaint to the EU, and the EU will instruct Apple and Google and whoever else that Spotify is in breach of EU law.

Spotify's rule will be gone by the end of the month.
    edited October 2020 Dogpersonjas99tmayjdb8167superklotonGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Let me get this right, I create play list on Spotify's service and I'm no longer allowed to transfer it to another service. How is my play list Spotify content? Did Spotify tell users the play lists they created and shard of their sole peppery and they can keep you from transferring it.
    jas99mike54superklotonNotoriousDEVwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    As it continues to say Apple "threatens our collective freedoms to listen, create, and connect," Spotify has allegedly begun notifying developers that they can no longer transfer playlists to other services. SongShift reports that it has been told to cease such transfers or risk losing access to the Spotify SDK.

Apple threatens your freedoms, yet Spotify are the one’s holding your music library hostage. 
    Makes sense...
    jas99DoomFreaksuperklotoncat52
  • Reply 9 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Where is the developer outrage?
    When will the lawsuits be filed?
    When will there be Congressional and EU investigations?
    Wait, there will be none???

Have to love the irony and hypocrisy.

mike54Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    This is a classic example that all the uproar against Apple is merely posturing by other companies, when given the opportunity they will do the exact same thing. Corporations are not your buddy, they will turn on you the first chance they get. Spotify just finds itself in a business that has no real value, they don’t create the music, they don’t create the playlists, and as time goes on running a cloud based streaming service is becoming child’s play because everyone is doing it. If the music companies could ever get a clue they would disappear overnight. Their only hope is to become a real music company that signs artists and then streams the content, there is one too many middle men is this soup already. 

Holding your playlists hostage is the weakest move they’ve made yet. Failing companies have the stink of litigation and protectionism all over them. 
    DoomFreakcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    DoomFreakDoomFreak Posts: 19unconfirmed, member
    In the spirit of being open .... we will threaten developers for trying to be open.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Murvel said:
    Apple Music doesn't hold your songs and playlists hostage, like Spotify is threatening to do. Its anticompetitive behavior, and I hope the EU can put their money where their mouth is when it comes to European companies engaging in monopolistic behavior.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Anti-competitive behavior is only okay if we do it.   - Spotify

Wonder if the EU will look in this - after all, Spotify is one of the only EU high tech internet based companies ...
    edited October 2020 cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Murvel said:
    Apple Music doesn't hold your songs and playlists hostage, like Spotify is threatening to do. Its anticompetitive behavior, and I hope the EU can put their money where their mouth is when it comes to European companies engaging in monopolistic behavior.
    Right. This also feels like poor timing since they are trying to show that Apple is anti-competitive. In this case, Apple doesn’t have any rules against user approved API access to playlists which reduces lock-in.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Murvel said:
    Af course you don’t know what you are talking about.
    Ever hear Apple complaining against Spotify?
    Spotify is the top of hypocrisy. For the EU is playing an innocent victim in sheep field, who needs a help,
    and in the same time it is really ruthless wolf if it goes over its own users.
    But we know that all companies complaining and fighting against Apple, are doing this in attempt to stop 
    the run-off of their own users.
    Think on Epic, Facebook.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Murvel said:
    Right. This also feels like poor timing since they are trying to show that Apple is anti-competitive. In this case, Apple doesn’t have any rules against user approved API access to playlists which reduces lock-in.
    Well, yes to pull a stunt like this now … Seems a bit desperate. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Luckily I have never had to switch music services, so I don’t know if importing/exporting playlists where ever a thing. 

The interesting thing is that it looks like Spotify is losing more subscribers and they think that preventing you from exporting your playlist will keep you from leaving. They don’t believe that maybe asking why you want to leave and address those issues might be more important. 

Others have pointed out that Apple doesn’t let you natively export playlists either, which may or may not be true since I have never tried.

The point is as others have already explained, this isn’t a proud moment for Spotify as it weakens their argument that Apple is harming them when they are harming themselves by this behavior. I don’t think playlists are what’s keeping Spotify subscribers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    I don’t use Spotify, so can’t comment whether or not Apple should/could/would do anything to Spotify. 

Aren’t they (Spotify) shooting themselves in the foot by doing the very same thing they are suing Apple for in court? As far as I know, those lawsuits haven’t been settled yet.

If Spotify really cared about revenue for the artists, I would think they would be happy to allow play list sharing to as many platforms as possible. This way, more music is purchased and everyone wins. Granted, the artists themselves get paid shit for their work and always get the scraps, so this could help a little. 

Finally, I can’t wait for the lawsuits from their developers start rolling in. Getting the popcorn ready. 

And vote. Get rid of the Nazis that are using the constitution to wipe their ass. 
    DAalseth
  • Reply 19 of 24
    maestro64 said:
    Let me get this right, I create play list on Spotify's service and I'm no longer allowed to transfer it to another service. How is my play list Spotify content? Did Spotify tell users the play lists they created and shard of their sole peppery and they can keep you from transferring it.
    That's not what Spotify said, if I'm reading it correctly.  They said that developers (those who've agreed to the Spotify SDK) may not write a tool to transfer a play list to another service.  They said nothing about you moving your playlist to another service.

Entirely different thing than what you said.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    maestro64 said:
    That's not what Spotify said, if I'm reading it correctly.  They said that developers (those who've agreed to the Spotify SDK) may not write a tool to transfer a play list to another service.  They said nothing about you moving your playlist to another service.

Entirely different thing than what you said.
    No, it means users can not use those developer utilities to transfer a playlist. Yes i could recreate the play list on any service by reentering all the information. These developer are providing a service or tool to allow user to transfer playlists this is what Spotify is blocking. Who else is transferring playlist other than users, it is not like Apple is some how using it to transfer all the playlists on Spotify to their service. I do realize Spotify curates their own play lists and others should not be able to copy and take them somewhere else. But Spotify is blocking the ability to transfer all playlists, they made no distinction over what kind of playlist can not be transferred. Kind in mind you either recreate what you created on Spotify or you use a service or tool to transfer it for you. Spotify is making it hard for user to move to another platform since they know the playlist if what keeps users from moving. 

Imagine if Apple would keep you form transferring your contacts and photo from an iPhone or iCloud to another competing phone or cloud service via a tool or services.
    watto_cobra