Apple releases watchOS 7.0.2 with battery drain fix

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2020
Apple updated watchOS 7 on Monday with a fix for battery drain issues found in the original version.

watchOS 7
watchOS 7

Apple Watch owners can download the updates for watchOS by Watch app on their connected iPhone, selecting the My Watch tab then General, and then Software Update. Once selected, the update will automatically download and then install to the Apple Watch overnight, so long as it is placed on charge and is within Wi-Fi range of the host iPhone.

The update version is watchOS 7.0.2 (18R402) and contains a bug fix related to battery life issues. There are no other known changes in the update.

The release notes reads as follows:

watchOS 7.0.2 contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
  • Addresses an issue that could cause the battery to drain more quickly
  • Resolves an issue that prevented some users from accessing the ECG app in regions where it is available
The update comes only one day before the "High, Speed" Apple event for the "iPhone 12." The developer beta program is already testing a beta release for a higher version, watchOS 7.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    watchOS 7.1 Beta took care of the battery issue on my S5. The original watchOS 7 literally reduced my battery life by 50% on a daily basis. Everything is back to normal.
    caladanianurashid
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Is GPS workout also fixed?
    williamh
  • Reply 3 of 10
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I’m interested in testing that tomorrow myself. For some reason it would perform great on one hike and then chow through battery on the next hike.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Would have been nice if Apple’s support note that claimed the only resolution was to reset the watch and phone also noted that there would be an update to fix the issue soon, so people didn’t waste time resetting their phones. Would that reveal really be such a detriment to Apple’s coveted secrecy?
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 5 of 10
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    I seem to have dodged another one. Or my Series 3 was just too old to be effected?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    elijahg said:
    Would have been nice if Apple’s support note that claimed the only resolution was to reset the watch and phone also noted that there would be an update to fix the issue soon, so people didn’t waste time resetting their phones. Would that reveal really be such a detriment to Apple’s coveted secrecy?
    I agree. I reset my phone in order to fix the battery issue and . . . it didn’t. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 7 of 10
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    I really want this fixed. Resetting the phone and watch isn’t a great solution for people who rely on an esim.  The esim is wiped out by a reset.

It’s a bit of a pain in the butt to get the carrier to recreate an esim since not all support staff are familiar with the feature . Not to mention that the esim is my only sim so I can’t call the Carrier once it’s gone. 
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Having trouble sending this update to my S4 from iPhone 7. It paused and won't restart sending. Anyone else?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Huh, I guess I dodged a bullet then.  Either that, or it isn't an issue on the S6.  I'm still using WatchOS 7, and the first couple of days, the battery drained more quickly (I presume because various things were updating), but since then it's lasted longer than my S3 (I did turn off the always on screen; I mean, if I'm not looking at it, why does it need to be on? :wink:), even though I do all the same things (and more) with the S6 that I did with my S3.  For instance, it's now 11:45 EDT.  I took it off the charger at 100% at 07:30 yesterday, and it's now at 64%.  The S3 would have been at about 40, maybe less.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Wow, for me (Florida), it's a bitch to install.  Took all morning for my wife's, mine still hasn't finished.