Apple unveils Intercom feature for iPhone, iPad, HomePod, and AirPods

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited November 2020
In addition to its debut of the HomePod Mini at its "Hi, Speed" event Tuesday, Apple introduced a new feature called "Intercom," which works across all Apple devices.

Apple's Intercom
Apple's Intercom

The feature, Apple said at the event, will allow users to speak to all of the Apple devices in their home at the same time.

"We've designed Intercom to also work with your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and even CarPlay, something only Apple can do," Apple's Yael Garten, director of Siri Data Science and Engineering, said during the event.

"You'll get a home intercom system that goes everywhere with you. The message will automatically play on HomePod speakers throughout the home, and a notification will appear on your family's personal devices. And Intercom messages will play on AirPods as well."

Yael Garten introduces Intercom
Yael Garten introduces Intercom

Intercom, Apple said in its press release, "offers a quick and easy way for family members to connect with each other at home... One person can send an Intercom message from one HomePod to another -- whether in a different room, a specific zone, or multiple rooms throughout the home -- and their voice will automatically play on the designated HomePod speaker."

The HomePod Mini, also announced Tuesday, will retail for $99. It's available for preorder November 6 and will hit the market November 16.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod or HomePod mini. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The products are great but damn the video production quality is off the charts. 
    SpamSandwichdave marshjas99equality72521aderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Is this an iOS 14.2 thing?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    And CarPlay! Don't forget CarPlay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Beats said:
    Indeed.  Including that is pretty sweet.  I do feel like they've done this one pretty comprehensively, instead of half-assed as they sometimes do some things.
    jas99Beatselijahg
  • Reply 5 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Detnator said:
    Beats said:
    Indeed.  Including that is pretty sweet.  I do feel like they've done this one pretty comprehensively, instead of half-assed as they sometimes do some things.

I'm hoping this is a start of things to come. Amazon really stole Apple's idea and running with it while Apple watches in shock. Time for them to step up their game Apple style.

What about Apple TV support? Do you think there will be another Apple event for Macs and possibly a new Apple TV?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Beats said:
    Detnator said:
    Beats said:

I'm hoping this is a start of things to come. Amazon really stole Apple's idea and running with it while Apple watches in shock. Time for them to step up their game Apple style.

What about Apple TV support? Do you think there will be another Apple event for Macs and possibly a new Apple TV?
    I hope so.  Though typically they don't have more than two events around this time, right?  I could be wrong.  It seems unlikely that they'll just quietly release any ASi Macs, without some fanfare - ie. a presentation of some sort.  Whether there's an Apple TV in there somewhere as well...  I suspect not on that one, just because they'll want the fanfare to focus on the new Macs.  But I have no idea really.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    razorpit said:
    Is this an iOS 14.2 thing?
    Don't know yet. "Later this year" is what Apple says.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    When will the Intercom feature be available? They were vague on this; I'm assuming it won't require a HomePod Mini to work but will work on existing HomePods or our iPhones without a HomePod Mini.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Beats said:
    Detnator said:
    Beats said:

I think that there may be one more event later this year - probably in November. Earlier this year when they introduced the move to Apple Silicon Macs, they said that the first Apple Silicon powered Mac would ship by the end of this year (2020).

I think that the launch of the first-ever A-Series powered Mac (other than the A12Z powered Mac mini for developers) is going to be a big deal for Apple, productivity software developers like Adobe and Microsoft, game development studios, and more... There is surely going to be an event for that - assuming that they still intend to ship the first Apple Silicon Mac by the end of 2020.

Apple has to go all out to convince its entire ecosystem partners, developers and consumers that Apple Silicon is real, viable, and just as good as (or better than) Intel Silicon.

watto_cobra