Apple branded layout app

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
folks,

since QXP doesn't show up

and

Adobe pretty much sucks in terms of speed and useability,

should apple present its own DTP masterpiece - just seriously to set up another standard and to blow away the competition [what competition ] ???

How could it be called?

"apple publish"

"drag and pub"

"drag and art"

"art of publish"

What do you think, guys?

best

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    They should release a consumer one. Something like the drawing module out of Appleworks (which I loved - it was just so easy!) with a few more features and full quartz goodness.

And NO WIZARDS! MS publisher isn't so bad once you get through the layers of help and illogical guided crap... don't do the same, Apple!

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    You used check boxes instead of radio buttons. I voted for all the choices.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Apple *could* do it...I'm sure they're itchin' to release a layout app. With Quartz, 'new Cocoa text features' coming in 10.3, the code used for smart aligns in Keynote, etc. they could have something really cool they could offer to prosumers.

The big problem I'm sure is, will all the effort pay off? Would people switch from InDesign and Quark to their app? Unfortunately it's very unlikely.

I always find it sad when Apple produces something vastly superior but simply disappears as 'a technology too advanced for its time' or something that is competing against something that is far too well established (ie MS Office and Photoshop).

The rumors are that Apple is getting ready to release iWorks...it's probably going to be pretty cool if they do, maybe better than MS Office. Is it going to get any attention or popularity? I doubt it.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    iApps are one thing but for Apple to develop a new robust DTP app would require too much work unless they acquire the code assets of another company.

It would truly be a shame to see Apple have to take on most of the Software Development. If they increase Marketshare then the Adobe and Quarks of the world will have their product ready.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I've said it in a number of threads before, and I'll say it again:

Apple needs to release a low end consumer DTP app.

In a platform known for graphics, we're using AppleWorks 6 to make business cards and letterheads? Unbelievable.

But to answer the Quark-is-late-so-let's-compete-with-them idea:

Are you out of your mind? There's no way Apple needs the grief of having to enter this market. I'd much prefer them to put the extra effort into Panther.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    They could always buy Mac PubPro. haven't used it much but it seems pretty easy to pick up and remarkably cheap. not worth spending a lot of time and money in development, 'though. Look how many of their own progs they are having to maintain and update already.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I just assume that if this iWorks suite is being developed, that its "word processor" will be more DTP-like than other word processors. It's just so obvious for Apple to target their strength with such a product, like Keynote: graphics!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I just assume that if this iWorks suite is being developed, that its "word processor" will be more DTP-like than other word processors. It's just so obvious for Apple to target their strength with such a product, like Keynote: graphics!

Hmmm...I agree! I'd love to see some basic DTP built-into the word processor. This would make it a really power word-processor and wouldn't piss off Quark and Adobe (or not to the same extent as a full-blown DTP app.)

And I can actually see this coming. WWDC specifically mentions new Cocoa text features that will make text handling much more powerful. If at least a word-processor isn't coming to make use of these new text features, I don't know what is.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I really hate word processors that try to do DTP. I wouldn't use an app that did that. Stick to one or the other!!!

Amorya
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

I really hate word processors that try to do DTP. I wouldn't use an app that did that. Stick to one or the other!!!

Amorya

What? Why? Word processors have essentially reached miniature-DTP app status anyways. You can create columns of text, add graphics, etc... but the manipulation of text in word processors is still rough around the edges and don't allow the flexibility DTP apps allow.

If you really want a basic word processor, you can use TextEdit.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The only real difference between a DTP app and a word processor is how text is placed. A DTP app uses text fields/blocks. The word processor uses the "background" as a single field. Otherwise, the cumbersome process of inserting graphics and wrapping them issimply a function of poor planning and design by shoe-horning it into older apps as quasi-hacks.

I use Create for any "serious" word processing stuff -- stuff that has to look professional, and I use my own page templates for text blocks, margins (page guides), headers and footers, etc. Hell, if you just take out most of Create's illustration and web features, you have the word processor for the rest of us.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

What? Why? Word processors have essentially reached miniature-DTP app status anyways. You can create columns of text, add graphics, etc... but the manipulation of text in word processors is still rough around the edges and don't allow the flexibility DTP apps allow.

If you really want a basic word processor, you can use TextEdit.

Well, I confess, mainly because Microsoft Word does it so poorly.

But seriously - if I'm doing a page layout, I want a blank page where I put objects onto it. I don't want a huge text area at the back (like a word processor document). Things like having the default tool as text entry and having to switch mode to move boxes around annoy me - it makes perfect sense for a word processor but for page layout it's terrible.

If Apple does this, I really will stick to AppleWorks!

Amorya