iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini cost $30 more if you aren't a Verizon or AT&T customer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple's new iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini models will cost $30 more for T-Mobile and Sprint customers, as well as those who buy an unlocked SIM-free device.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The company on Tuesday announced that the iPhone 12 mini will start at $699 and the iPhone 12 will start at $799. But, upon examination of Apple's online storefront, it appears that those prices only apply to AT&T and Verizon models.

Apple lists the iPhone 12 mini with a $729 retail price for unlocked, T-Mobile, and Sprint devices. Interestingly, Apple's website notes that the $699 and $799 price points for AT&T and Verizon variants are reached after a "$30 instant discount" that requires activation.

That $30 premium also applies across the entire iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 lineup. For example, 128GB models iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 variants will cost $779 and $879, respectively. The 256GB models start at $879 and $949 for the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12, respectively. Again, that's only for non-AT&T and -Verizon customers.

It isn't clear why the AT&T and Verizon models are cheaper, or if the discount will be permanent or a temporary promotion.

The iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max, it's worth pointing out, have the same starting price no matter the carrier. The devices will start at $999 and $1,099 across all four major U.S. telecom companies, and those prices also apply to SIM-free unlocked versions.

Apple's new iPhone 12 will become available for preorder on Oct. 16 and will ship out on Oct. 23. The iPhone 12 mini will be open for preorder on Nov. 6, and will ship on Nov. 13.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Feels like a dick move
    tnet-primaryflyingdptyler82pulseimagesDogperson
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Maybe to cover AT&T's activation/upgrade fee.
    Also curious how the AT&T trade-in program works. Up to $800 in monthly credits makes a 12 Pro only $6.60/mo. Going to have to call them to see what I would really get for trading in an iPhone X.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 3 of 15
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Verizon and AT&T subsidizing purchases to gain customers. Common enough move. Simpler than an after purchase rebate on the service bill I suppose. 
    edited October 2020 jdb8167StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 15
    If it is the carriers subsidizing the phones, then the question is why Apple bumped the base price by thirty bucks (while dropping the charger and earbuds, no less!)

I'm not one to complain, but it's kind of funny and weird. 
    tyler82pulseimagesDogperson
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    JFC_PA said:
    Verizon and AT&T subsidizing purchases to gain customers. Common enough move. Simpler than an after purchase rebate on the service bill I suppose. 
    I don’t understand why people are confused on this. It is stated clearly on the preview pricing page:
    “Verizon Customer Discount
    Prices include a $30 Verizon instant discount. Requires activation.”
  • Reply 6 of 15
    So basically in my understanding with AT&T is typically they charge you $30 to activate a new phone on their plans. It used to be the price of the SIM card when the mico/nano sim came out, but they kept it to suck the blood from their customers. T-mobile and Spint in other hand do not seems to be charging this fee.

So at the end of the day, the $30 Credit was just to offset the activation fee and that should be a "kind" move from Apple.
    edited October 2020 h4y3selectorStrangeDaysronn
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cmb0130 said:
    So basically in my understanding with AT&T is typically they charge you $30 to activate a new phone on their plans. It used to be the price of the SIM card when the mico/nano sim came out, but they kept it to suck the blood from their customers. T-mobile and Spint in other hand do not seems to be charging this fee.

So at the end of the day, the $30 Credit was just to offset the activation fee and that should be a "kind" move from Apple.
    There is no “kind” move here. “Moves” always come from the carrier itself trying to get more customers. I don't think Apple will find themselves on a fight about playing favorites with carrier unless that carrier pay $$$ to get exclusive launch like ATT have done in the past. 

I know that people are trying to find out why $30 dollars and usually activating phones were at $30. But remember  Tmobile/Sprint still have activation fees you can get them waived pretty easily in stores or online but the charges are still there. Sprint is $25. So I don’t think Apple randomly offer 30 bucks to Verizon/ATT as an offset for anything. Specially since Verizon was at the Keynote so it was a carrier move to attract customers. They even mentioned the trade-in prices on Verizon at the Keynote.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    If my memory serves me, Since I am a Verizon customer was that verizon uses a gimmick of giving you a credit of $30 to offset the activation fee (Which use to be $30) so it is free activation.

No one is getting anything actually free here outside of that.

Normally I purchase from apple and then stop into verizon to activate it. The manager at the store I visit told me that on the last one I bought it was free activation on the iphone and the watch. I did notice on my monthly invoice the amount charged and then removed. Another plus I found was it was a simple scan of the box that set the phone as active on my line(s) 

Eventually the carriers will be trying to lure customers via reduced cost for the iphone 12 as they are doing now with the iphone 11 models. Verizon had a buy one get one free.

• Reply 9 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    The company on Tuesday announced that the iPhone 12 mini will start at $699 and the iPhone 12 will start at $799. But, upon examination of Apple's online storefront, it appears that those prices only apply to AT&T and Verizon models.
    Although I love Apple, I do not appreciate this move. That's a 4.3% price deception. Of course I'm not directly impacted by this because I'm in Canada and I haven't see if they are doing the same trick in Canada. We usually end up paying a lot extra anyway, even after the US/CAN dollar is accounted for.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    JFC_PA said:
    Right, this is common practice when you physically buy phones in a Verizon store, but I don't remember this trick ever being done when buying a phone from an Apple Store. This seems new to me, and it opens a can of worms for the future that I really don't want to see.
    Dogperson
  • Reply 11 of 15
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Don't worry.. Verizon will take this $30 back in a form of Activation fee.
    MacQuadra840av
  • Reply 12 of 15
    A carrier promotion, to make up for their hidden fees. Doesn't seem that interesting...
    jdb8167
  • Reply 13 of 15
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Apple says no $30 discount on AT&T prepaid. 
  • Reply 14 of 15
    jdb8167 said:
    JFC_PA said:
    I don’t understand why people are confused on this. It is stated clearly on the preview pricing page:
    “Verizon Customer Discount
    Prices include a $30 Verizon instant discount. Requires activation.”
    Because during the keynote they specifically stated the mini and 12 were $699 and $799 without mentioning those prices were only based on carrier discounts from only two of the major carriers.  It’s called false advertising, and a very dicky move on Apple’s part.  
  • Reply 15 of 15
    If it makes anyone feel better, it ends up being a wash anyway with AT&T. The “upgrade fee” is $30...