Apple resurrects MagSafe branding for line of iPhone 12 accessories

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
Apple has brought back its MagSafe name for a new ecosystem of iPhone 12 accessories including cases, chargers, and wallets.

MagSafe Components on iPhone 12
MagSafe Components on iPhone 12

During its "Hi, Speed" October event, Apple debuted a new feature for iPhone 12: MagSafe. The reinvigorated name now refers to an integrated magnet in the back of the iPhone 12 line. Using this set of magnets, Apple opens up new possibilities for a large ecosystem of accessories that it will be creating along with third-party manufacturers.

Apple MagSafe Duo
Apple MagSafe Duo

The MagSafe charger snaps to the back of iPhone 12 and allows you to hold and use the iPhone while it is being charged at fast speeds. There is also the MagSafe Duo which is a folding charger that can charge both an iPhone 12 and Apple Watch simultaneously.

Other Apple accessories include a magnetically attaching wallet and a new sleeve. The sleeve uses the magnet that, when detected by iPhone, causes the clock to illuminate through a small window in the case.

Belkin's new MagSafe accessories
Belkin's new MagSafe accessories

Accessory makers will be free to create their own MagSafe devices as well. Belkin is soon to release a new MagSafe car mount as well as a new multi-device charging dock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I'm kinda hoping that somebody, either Apple, or more likely an accessory maker, will make iPhone Cases for the previous, but still selling generations of the iPhone, such as the iPhone 11 series, that includes Mag Safe.  If there is, I hope it includes charging, albeit probably through the Lightning Port on the older iPhones.
    ivanhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    One of the best features of the Apple Watch was the magnet that aligned it perfectly when on the charger.  I'm surprised it took this long to spread.  I replaced most of my flat chargers with stand style chargers mainly because with the stand chargers the phone is aligned and charges flawlessly where the flat disks if the phone is slightly off and you don't notice you might think it's charging, but it isn't.  
    haywoodDetnatorMplsPllamarazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Good move. These are all nice updates.
    BeatscaladanianRayz2016
  • Reply 4 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I hope the magnet is strong enough to support the iPhone with a case.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I'm kinda hoping that somebody, either Apple, or more likely an accessory maker, will make iPhone Cases for the previous, but still selling generations of the iPhone, such as the iPhone 11 series, that includes Mag Safe.  If there is, I hope it includes charging, albeit probably through the Lightning Port on the older iPhones.
    I've used this brand on my iPhone XS Max for the last couple of years.  They have proven to be very high quality, reliable, durable, etc. and great customer service.  I haven't checked but I'll be very surprised if they don't have iPhone 11 series products as well.  They've also just announced some stuff that's compatible with iPhone 12 series MagSafe.  Pretty comprehensive range it seems.  I recommend them.

https://www.ipitaka.com
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Did anybody catch the release date of the MagSafe Duo? It's not showing up as a MagSafe accessory on the Apple site yet.

caladanian
  • Reply 7 of 24
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    These were genius and the cases should stay put even firmer with MagSafe.

MagSafe Duo was as innovative as AirPower. Well done Apple!
    caladanianaderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    This looks cool and would solve one of the big problems with wireless charging (finicky device placement.) Two big questions, though - will it work with a case and will the magnets in the phone demagnetize a credit card? Many people I know have taken to only carrying their phone with their driver’s license and a credit card in a case designed to hold them. (Plenty of other people just keep a credit card in their pocket, next to their phone.) Even with chips there are plenty of places that still need the magnetic stripe so this could be a problem.
    rmusikantow
  • Reply 9 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    MplsP said:
    This looks cool and would solve one of the big problems with wireless charging (finicky device placement.) Two big questions, though - will it work with a case and will the magnets in the phone demagnetize a credit card? Many people I know have taken to only carrying their phone with their driver’s license and a credit card in a case designed to hold them. (Plenty of other people just keep a credit card in their pocket, next to their phone.) Even with chips there are plenty of places that still need the magnetic stripe so this could be a problem.

The site points out that the wallet is shielded. Looks like you would need to remove the wallet, but not a case to charge wirelessly. The new cases support MagSafe. So far, they only have silicon and clear cases shown on the site, but they did say there will be leather too.
    To be practical for me, the wallet would need to hold a credit card and a debit card as well as my license/registration/insurance card.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 10 of 24
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Perhaps the new slate of MacBooks & MacBook Pros will offer the triumphant return of MagSafe?
    retrogusto
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Beats said:
    These were genius and the cases should stay put even firmer with MagSafe.

MagSafe Duo was as innovative as AirPower. Well done Apple!
    That's a great point.  Instead of flogging a doomed feature (what they were trying to do with AirPower), they looked at the need and the desired experience and solved the problem a different way - which added bonus functionality in other areas also.  That kind of thing is where Apple tends to shine.
    caladanianpeterhartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24

polymnia said:
    Perhaps the new slate of MacBooks & MacBook Pros will offer the triumphant return of MagSafe?
    Nope.  I mentioned in another post how I'm always hesitant to say "Apple won't..." but I'm pretty sure Apple won't bring MagSafe in anything like the form it was, to their laptops.  

For people who want it, there's plenty of great options here:  https://www.google.com/search?q=usb-c+magsafe

Perhaps Apple will bring out their own version of one of those, but they're not bringing any of the old ports (including MagSafe) physically back to their laptops.  Rightly or wrongly their approach is that USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 (and whatever's coming next with USB4/TB4/etc) handles everything and provides the greatest flexibility, whereas for every "legacy" port they add, something else has to give for it.

If we're going to say "Well they don't have to make them so thin and light" then I'll say "Great, then Apple, go ahead and make them bigger, and then add more battery, RAM, storage, cores, thunderbolt ports, better gpu, or anything else before you add MagSafe or any of the other legacy ports."  Which is exactly what they did with the 16" and that's proven a huge winner.
    edited October 2020 Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Detnator said:

polymnia said:
    Nope.  I mentioned in another post how I'm always hesitant to say "Apple won't..." but I'm pretty sure Apple won't bring MagSafe in anything like the form it was, to their laptops.  

For people who want it, there's plenty of great options here:  https://www.google.com/search?q=usb-c+magsafe

Perhaps Apple will bring out their own version of one of those, but they're not bringing any of the old ports (including MagSafe) physically back to their laptops.  Rightly or wrongly their approach is that USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 (and whatever's coming next with USB4/TB4/etc) handles everything and provides the greatest flexibility, whereas for every "legacy" port they add, something else has to give for it.

If we're going to say "Well they don't have to make them so thin and light" then I'll say "Great, then Apple, go ahead and make them bigger, and then add more battery, RAM, storage, cores, thunderbolt ports, better gpu, or anything else before you add MagSafe or any of the other legacy ports."  Which is exactly what they did with the 16" and that's proven a huge winner.
    I’ve tried one of the magnetic USB C charging cables and it’s worthless. It worked for about a month then the connection became unreliable and it wouldn’t charge half the time.

I, too mourn the loss of MagSafe charging. It was quick, easy and virtually idiot proof. You talk about specialized connectors, but changing is something that everyone does on their laptop, without exception, so if there’s anything that’s deserving it’s a charge port. One thing about USB C is that the connector doesn’t hold in the socket very well, so it tends to pull out fairly easily. This may be why Apple felt it was OK to do away with MagSafe charging. 
    docno42
  • Reply 14 of 24
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    MplsP said:
    Detnator said:

polymnia said:

I’ve tried one of the magnetic USB C charging cables and it’s worthless. It worked for about a month then the connection became unreliable and it wouldn’t charge half the time.

I, too mourn the loss of MagSafe charging. It was quick, easy and virtually idiot proof. You talk about specialized connectors, but changing is something that everyone does on their laptop, without exception, so if there’s anything that’s deserving it’s a charge port. One thing about USB C is that the connector doesn’t hold in the socket very well, so it tends to pull out fairly easily. This may be why Apple felt it was OK to do away with MagSafe charging. 
    The magnetic connector by iSkey (via that ubiquitous online retailer) works great, no issues whatsoever.  You have to bring your own USB-C cable, it’s just a pair of magnetic adapters.  Carries data, too.  The socket protrudes about 3/16” from the case when not in use, but at least it’s metal, not plastic.  The cable-side adapter is a little bulky, even at a 90-degree angle, but no more so than any other straight USB-C cable I’ve seen.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    The word "iPod" when used to sell music devices was also a trademark Apple had sitting around but was no longer using. It was originally intended to be used as an internet terminal in places like airports, if I recall correctly.
    elijahg
  • Reply 16 of 24
    I use the Scosche magnetic mount in car and have the steel plate attached to the inside of the iPhone case. Great setup, stealthy (you don't see the plate inside the case) and the Scosche magnetic mount keeps the iPhone in place as I drive. But the steel plate keeps my iPhone from charging when placed on a wireless charger.

Any idea if the new MagSafe cases would work with the Scosche mounts (and I could lose the steel plate)? Or maybe Belkin or Scosche or others plan to create a magnetic mount for the car that locks onto the iPhone MagSafe case? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    chelinchelin Posts: 107member
    I would be the first one to sign up for the MagSafe Duo, cannot find anything about it at apple.com however.

I sincerely hope that the input to it is a USB-C connector. The sheer permutation of USB-A, USB-C <-> Lightning is causing me to feel a bit nauseous. As I’m traveling a lot it would be great if all I need to worry about it bringing all the combinations with me all the time. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    MplsP said:
    Detnator said:

polymnia said:

The magnetic connector by iSkey (via that ubiquitous online retailer) works great, no issues whatsoever.  You have to bring your own USB-C cable, it’s just a pair of magnetic adapters.  Carries data, too.  The socket protrudes about 3/16” from the case when not in use, but at least it’s metal, not plastic.  The cable-side adapter is a little bulky, even at a 90-degree angle, but no more so than any other straight USB-C cable I’ve seen.
    Thanks - I'll check it out. The one I got was from Elec-Jet and had good reviews, but that wasn't my experience. mike1 said:
    MplsP said:

The site points out that the wallet is shielded. Looks like you would need to remove the wallet, but not a case to charge wirelessly. The new cases support MagSafe. So far, they only have silicon and clear cases shown on the site, but they did say there will be leather too.
    To be practical for me, the wallet would need to hold a credit card and a debit card as well as my license/registration/insurance card.
    Thanks - I see that now. I figured Apple would have thought of that issue. Having the magnet will also make putting cases on and off a lot easier - no more peeling the front lip around the edge!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Detnator said:

polymnia said:

You may be right, this may not happen. To be perfectly clear, though, I didn’t mean classic MagSafe would return. I was thinking about iphone-style MagSafe for MacBooks. Not sure how that might work, but Apple has some pretty interesting hardware concepts from time to time. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I use the Scosche magnetic mount in car and have the steel plate attached to the inside of the iPhone case. Great setup, stealthy (you don't see the plate inside the case) and the Scosche magnetic mount keeps the iPhone in place as I drive. But the steel plate keeps my iPhone from charging when placed on a wireless charger.

Any idea if the new MagSafe cases would work with the Scosche mounts (and I could lose the steel plate)? Or maybe Belkin or Scosche or others plan to create a magnetic mount for the car that locks onto the iPhone MagSafe case? 
    I came into this thread with exactly the same question... I LOVE the Scoshe Magnetic mounts in my cars... so easy to flip the phone onto them and it stays put!... On my iPhoneX, I found if I used the smaller plate and put it against the bottom of my case, I could still use a wireless charger :) .... but it would be nice to have the phone work with the mount without gluing that plate to it!
    I don't think we'll know for sure until the phone is actually in someone's hand that can test it... I don't see Apple answering our question. :smile: 

But, as you alluded,  I'm certain someone else (if not Scoshe) will make a vehicle mount that will work with it... just a matter of time.
    watto_cobra