Chinese video platforms reportedly axe Apple's 'Hi, Speed' livestream

Posted:
in General Discussion
The livestream for Apple's Oct. 13 keynote was supposed to be hosted by several Chinese video platforms, but it was dropped without explanation.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Apple's keynote kicked off on Tuesday at 10 a.m. Pacific, and was available on various streaming platforms. That includes Apple.com and the Apple YouTube page for international viewers.

But as Beijing-based Bloomberg technology reporter Yuan Gao noted on Tuesday, the video stream appears to have been cut by major Chinese video platforms such as Tencent and Bilibili.

Biggest Chinese online video platforms including Tencent and Bilibili have canceled tonight's livestream without an explanation. First time ever! #iPhone12 #apple @Apple @technology pic.twitter.com/gFGGJ5DfqQ

-- Gao Yuan (@GaoYuan86)

Gao added that the move was made "without an explanation," and this was the first time that the video platforms had cut Apple's stream.

It isn't clear why the livestream was not made available in China, and no further details could be found.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    That’s it China.  Just keep going.  Just keep giving Apple more reasons to diversify manufacturing out of your country.  The sooner, the better.  And good riddance.
    Algerbulk001patchythepiratecat52flyingdpBeatscornchipGabywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Well Tencent part owns of Epic, so that's probably one explanation...
    mcdavejony0
  • Reply 3 of 26
    JWSC said:
    That’s it China.  Just keep going.  Just keep giving Apple more reasons to diversify manufacturing out of your country.  The sooner, the better.  And good riddance.

The Chinese are the ones who are in a position to say good riddance to Apple and not the other way around as you claim.

You don't know too much about business, do you?
    ralphiemuthuk_vanalingampk22901AolService
  • Reply 4 of 26
    tommikele said:
    JWSC said:

The Chinese are the ones who are in a position to say good riddance to Apple and not the other way around as you claim.

Apple is the smartest, most valuable company on Earth.  China has a ruthless, repressive, totalitarian, imperial government and their society has no regard for pluralism or diversity in any political or cultural aspect of its society.  Its leaders are utterly unaccountable to the people they supposedly serve.  Chinese "business" is all about the Communist Party in corrupt sweetheart deals with ruthless, robber-baron, nepotistic capitalists.  Chinese despise foreigners at home and treat hosts in other countries like garbage. I'd gladly pay a couple dollars more for a phone than have any piece of it made in China.
    JWSCrazorpitbulk001anantksundarampatchythepiratecat52mac_dogFatmanflyingdpBeats
  • Reply 5 of 26
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    tommikele said:
    JWSC said:

I do know a few things about business.  But I’ll spare others further flippant remarks.

Depending on what source you read, Apple directly and indirectly employees somewhere between 3-5 million people in China. Removal of employment in those numbers would cause significant civil unrest, which the Chinese authorities would very much like to avoid.  Regardless, both Apple and China could weather that storm.

Botton line: It is in Apple’s and the democratic world’s interest that Apple reduce its dependence on China.  The authoritarian state should not be enabled by the best and brightest companies the world has to offer.
    JFC_PAanantksundarampatchythepiratemac_dogflyingdpapplguytmaymatrix077pk22901jcs2305
  • Reply 6 of 26
    tommikele said:
    JWSC said:

You a Chinese troll? If they were in a position to say good riddance to the US you don’t think Winnie the Poo would have already? Me thinks you don’t know too much about business! If the US and Europe took its money else where they would be left with North Korea, Iran and Russia! Yes there is a short term financial hit but as we saw when Trump put tariffs in place it is about an ~18% hit which is something we can deal with. 
    anantksundarampatchythepiratecat52Beatscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Alger said:
    tommikele said:
    JWSC said:

Apple is the smartest, most valuable company on Earth.  China has a ruthless, repressive, totalitarian, imperial government and their society has no regard for pluralism or diversity in any political or cultural aspect of its society.  Its leaders are utterly unaccountable to the people they supposedly serve.  Chinese "business" is all about the Communist Party in corrupt sweetheart deals with ruthless, robber-baron, nepotistic capitalists.  Chinese despise foreigners at home and treat hosts in other countries like garbage. I'd gladly pay a couple dollars more for a phone than have any piece of it made in China.
    Well said!
    patchythepiratecat52Beatsrazorpitjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    tommikele said:
    JWSC said:

Nonsense... If China boots Apple out of China, then China has signaled to the world that China is no longer a place to do business in, or with.  Fact.

I'd LOVE to see China do that, if anything just for the entertainment value and watch an exodus of companies divesting out of China.

What IS happening is China is going through a slow bleed of job losses.  Apple is slowly moving production out of China to places like India, Vietnam, etc... for every new factory opened up outside of China, it's less workers needed in China.  Good.  Other companies are doing exactly that too.  It's slow, but it is happening.

Apple may not completely be get out from China's claws, but China needs non-China business to thrive in China if it knows what's good for it in the long term.

If there were any choice of picking my next iPhone made anywhere but China, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  I don't have a problem with the Chinese people.  I just hate the Chinese government and the less of my money goes to china, the better.
    edited October 2020 patchythepiratebulk001cat52mac_dogmuthuk_vanalingamtmayGG1razorpitJWSCcornchip
  • Reply 9 of 26
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Alger said:
    tommikele said:
    JWSC said:

Apple users used to be able to smell propaganda but maybe not any more. The China you’re describing isn’t the one my sister has lived in for the last 10 years.
    Maybe you should ask yourself why we’re demonising a country/ideology - just like we did before we started our Islamic holocaust.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    China’s implosion is coming ... their population numbers will fall off a cliff ... from killing their own... cheating to win the smartphone race is the least of their worries.
    Beatscat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Shitty country that makes knockoff Apple products but still jealous of them. What has Apple done to China? Fu** them.
    qwerty52cat52jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Beats said:
    Shitty country that makes knockoff Apple products but still jealous of them. What has Apple done to China? Fu** them.

Absolutely. And everyone who is thinking that the Chinese companies are free to do what they want and they are not independent from their government, is naive. This companies are always following orders from above.

tmaycat52jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    mcdave said:
    Apple users used to be able to smell propaganda but maybe not any more. The China you’re describing isn’t the one my sister has lived in for the last 10 years.
    Maybe you should ask yourself why we’re demonising a country/ideology - just like we did before we started our Islamic holocaust.
    Then your sister is either living in ignorance, or sugarcoating what the Chinese government is doing.

Where does one start with China?  Hmmm

The "re-education" Uygur muslim camps?
    Tibet?
    I.P. theft of just about everyone outside China
    Illegal militarizing of South China Sea
    Illegal fishing pretty much worldwide
    Good ole' Hong Kong
    Oh... let's not forget Tiananmen Square... that's a people-favorite... since China oppresses pretty much any of its own citizens that threaten's the government.

Shall I keep going?
    qwerty52tmayrazorpitcat52cornchipGabyjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    sflocal said:
    mcdave said:
    Then your sister is either living in ignorance, or sugarcoating what the Chinese government is doing.

Tibet?
    Good ole' Hong Kong
    Oh... let's not forget Tiananmen Square... that's a people-favorite... since China oppresses pretty much any of its own citizens that threaten's the government.

Shall I keep going?

Only two more out of many:
    Arrogantly occupying East-China Sea against the will of neighbouring countries....
    A Communist dictator, who will dictate the country as long as he lives....

And this is today, not 10 years ago.....
    tmaycat52jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    mcdave said:
    Alger said:
    tommikele said:
    JWSC said:

Then your sister doesn’t live in China. I’d have known since the majority of my wife relatives are living there, and Hong Kong. 
    tmayGG1JWSCcornchipjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Whoa! Yes. Trump is in a trade war with China and it appears that he's successfully demonized them.

He's also good at ridiculing our military servicemen. Are people going to begin ridiculing them, too?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Whoa! Yes. Trump is in a trade war with China and he's demonized them. 

And yet, they are producing 100s of millions of Covid masks for the rest of the world. 

In the best case, Trump may be setting this phase of negativity as necessary to start negotiating a new more principled working relationship.

We can hope.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 18 of 26
    pk22901 said:
    Whoa! Yes. Trump is in a trade war with China and he's demonized them. 

And yet, they are producing 100s of millions of Covid masks for the rest of the world. 

In the best case, Trump may be setting this phase of negativity as necessary to start negotiating a new more principled working relationship.

We can hope.
    "Trump" & "principled" do not belong in the same sentence!  Keep hoping, for a long time...
    marc gmuthuk_vanalingamjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    sflocal said:
    mcdave said:

Tibet?
    Good ole' Hong Kong

Shall I keep going?
    To be fair you can’t expect China news to cover any of that stuff, so it’s very possible she doesn’t know it’s going on.  :D
    tmayJWSCcat52cornchipjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    sflocal said:
    tommikele said:
    JWSC said:

Nonsense... If China boots Apple out of China, then China has signaled to the world that China is no longer a place to do business in, or with.  Fact.

I'd LOVE to see China do that, if anything just for the entertainment value and watch an exodus of companies divesting out of China.

What IS happening is China is going through a slow bleed of job losses.  Apple is slowly moving production out of China to places like India, Vietnam, etc... for every new factory opened up outside of China, it's less workers needed in China.  Good.  Other companies are doing exactly that too.  It's slow, but it is happening.

Apple may not completely be get out from China's claws, but China needs non-China business to thrive in China if it knows what's good for it in the long term.

If there were any choice of picking my next iPhone made anywhere but China, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  I don't have a problem with the Chinese people.  I just hate the Chinese government and the less of my money goes to china, the better.
    Well said.. It has become a habit for people to mix these two things together when defending China. Chinese citizens are not the problem in this situation.

cornchipjony0watto_cobra