Apple reduces price of accessories not included in iPhone 12 box

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
With the introduction of iPhone 12, Apple is no longer supplying handset buyers a standard wall charger or EarPods, a measure the company says will help offset carbon emissions as part of wider corporate environmental initiatives.

iPhone 12 Box

An updated online Apple Store webpage shows EarPods with Lightning Connector now sell for $19, down from $29 prior to iPhone 12's announcement. A new 20W USB-C wall charger, which stands as a ready replacement for the 18W charger that came with iPhone 11 models, receives the same price reduction to sell for $19.

MacRumors spotted the change earlier today.

During today's iPhone 12 unveiling, Apple Vice President of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives Lisa Jackson announced the new handset line no longer includes free wall chargers and EarPods, both staples of all iPhone models since the original debuted in 2007. The decision to remove the accessories forwards Apple's efforts to reduce its impact on the environment, Jackson said.

"Just like we did with Apple Watch, we looked for ways to cut waste and use less material," Jackson said during today's event. "Customers already have over 700 million Lightning headphones, and many customers have moved to a wireless experience with AirPods, Beats or other wireless headphones. And there are also over 2 billion Apple power adapters out in the world, and that's not counting the billions of third-party adapters. So we are removing these items from the iPhone box."

Beyond raw materials, the policy shrinks down iPhone packaging, which reduces carbon emissions from Apple's logistics chain, Jackson said.

Apple began thinning process with Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple Watch SE, both of which lack power adapters. Today's expansion to the new rule includes iPhone SE, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    How .. is this any type of reduction. I'd argue by selling separately, it causes more. Unless there's a dramatic decline in number of headsets & power supplies purchased? Will almost gaurantee there will now be sudden, 'increased demand' for AirPods / Beats wireless.  :/
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 54
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    It’s not the end of the world, people. Maybe you will think twice before purchasing. Although, I know, for many of you it’s nothing—you just need something to complain about. 
    ronnBeatsdangermouse2williamlondonlkruppjas99doozydozenJapheycornchipmacxpress
  • Reply 3 of 54
    How .. is this any type of reduction. I'd argue by selling separately, it causes more. Unless there's a dramatic decline in number of headsets & power supplies purchased? Will almost gaurantee there will now be sudden, 'increased demand' for AirPods / Beats wireless.  :/
    I still have all power bricks from all my devices, about three to one, counting the currently used. The bricks last forever, with minimal proper care. It’s the cables that get frayed from everyday wear and tear.

I recognize that I found that a strange policy, when it was initially presented last month. But it only took a look at my bottom drawer to see the wisdom of it.

And sure is great that if and when I need a new one, it’s a bit cheaper now.
    pscooter63dangermouse2PetrolDavewilliamlondonmwhitejas99doozydozenlolliverStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 4 of 54
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Apple should just put a jar in every Apple Store that works like the “if you need a penny take a penny” thing that some other retailers do. There probably are some users who have extra USB-C chargers lying around, but plenty of people are going to think they don’t need another charger until they realize that their new iPhone cable is USB-C, and then end up having to make another trip to the store, buy another charger with separate packaging and maybe even a bag to carry it home in. Or have it shipped separately in another box within a box. 
    anantksundaramGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    How .. is this any type of reduction. I'd argue by selling separately, it causes more. Unless there's a dramatic decline in number of headsets & power supplies purchased?
    Because there’ll be a dramatic decline in headsets & power supplies purchased. 

We have a spares box full of this crap. We’ve got about half a dozen headsets thst have never been removed from their cases. 
    BeatsPetrolDavewilliamlondonrandominternetpersonjas99ronndoozydozencharlieFlolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 54
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    I have a bunch of USB-A charging bricks. I have zero USB-C charging bricks. 
    williamlondonrazorpitGeorgeBMaclkruppMplsPGraeme000doozydozenchemengin1jony0
  • Reply 7 of 54
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    The price reduction is nice and would be even better if it were enough to appease the people who want a price reduction for the iPhone 12es that don’t have these. 
    I hope the USB-C adaptor price is reduced for the European version too. That bad boy is expensive!
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Yet the price reduction is completely absent when buying an iPhone. 
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacMplsPholmstockdcornchip
  • Reply 9 of 54
    I have lots of iPhones and iPads. What I don't have is even a single USB-C charger.

Apple makes a strong case for the environment, but their argument that people have dozens of chargers lying around falls flat when this will be the first iPhone with a USB-C charging cable.
    edited October 2020 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacretrogustocornchiptokyojimu
  • Reply 10 of 54
    What is a bit strange is that now many of the chargers regardless of wattage (Fast-charge or not) are all the same price.  The beloved / bemoaned 5W cube is $19, the "standard" iPad 12W charger with the "duckbill" is also $19 and the new 20W charger that replaces the 18W charger that came with the iPhone 11 (Pro versions only) is also $19.  I can't imagine that too many people will buy the 5W (or really the 12W either) when they can now get quick charging for the same price.  The only market for the older chargers will be those that have hordes of USB-A to lightning cables and don't want to pony up another $19 for a USB-C to lightning cable like @bestkeptsecret  alludes too.
    I have lots of iPhones and iPads. What I don't have is even a single USB-C charger. 

Apple makes a strong case for the environment, but their argument that people have dozens of chargers lying around falls flat when this will be the first iPhone with a USB-C charging cable.
    I think those people are going to be few and far between since users will be getting at least one USB-C to Lightning cable in the iPhone box (regardless of which iPhone they buy; SE, XR, 11, or 12).  Either they will buy the iPhone and not a charger because they already have hordes of them or they will pony up the $19 for the 20W and use it with the included cable. When their old chargers are removed from service (broken, lost, etc.) and they see that they are going to have to shell out a Jackson regardless of if they go for 5W or 20W they will probably buy a new cable to go with it (whether Apple branded or not).

The "duckbill" style would be perfect if it were 18-20W because then it would support fast charging and be pretty great for international travel (not a big issue at the moment of course).
    This brings me to the below comment:
    fred1 said:
    The price reduction is nice and would be even better if it were enough to appease the people who want a price reduction for the iPhone 12es that don’t have these. 
    I hope the USB-C adaptor price is reduced for the European version too. That bad boy is expensive!
    The EU versions of the chargers mentioned above (5, 12, and 20W) are also all the same price at 24.35€ (in Germany).

If you want fast charging with the "duck bill" you have to step up to the 30W which now seems over priced at $49 / 53.60€ (more than double the price of the 20W). A price at $29-$39 / 35-45€ would be a bit more in line with the other chargers' pricing IMHO.
    edited October 2020 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Ofer said:
    Give it time. It will soon mount up with USB-C too. Don’t worry 😉 
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 54
    I love how the internet has collectively lost its mind. “The cable in the box won’t work with the old charger.”
    As of people will only have their old charger, but suddenly lose their 8+ years of old cables that go with it. 

The smartest thing to so is to include the usb c to lightning cable, as it now means customers will possess every type of cable for any modern charger.  (And that’s ignoring the wireless charging options which have been available for years.)

I sure I’m not alone in having a drawer of unopened chargers, headphones, dongles and cables from past apple purchases.
    mike1randominternetpersonronnlolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 54
    It is the price increase that DID NOT happen that you don't see.
    mike1mwhiterandominternetpersonronnGG1cornchipStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Effectively Apple increased the price of a complete new iPhone by $19. Don't think they are doing you any favors. Sure I have bricks but they are all just 5W.......
    GeorgeBMacholmstockd
  • Reply 15 of 54
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ForumPost said:
    Ofer said:
    Give it time. It will soon mount up with USB-C too. Don’t worry 😉 
    Why would it mount up if you don't get them in the box?  That's the only reason I have excess cables, because they came in the box even though I didn't need them.
    lkruppholmstockd
  • Reply 16 of 54
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Oh wait, the cables do come in the box, it's just the brick that doesn't.  Well that seems like a missed opportunity.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    seankill said:
    Effectively Apple increased the price of a complete new iPhone by $19. Don't think they are doing you any favors. Sure I have bricks but they are all just 5W.......

Plus, those old chargers only accept an older USB-A cable -- so they are completely obsolete.   Apple should have been replacing them way, way back when they released the iPhone 8!

Many customers will be shocked to open the box when find that not only is there no new charger to go with the upgraded, fast charging phone, but the cable Apple so kindly "gave them" won't work without them spending an extra $19 on a new charger.

Many, maybe most customers will rightly consider that a "shake down" by a company they had always before been able to trust.
    Ofercornchip
  • Reply 18 of 54
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    The vast majority of customers will not be buying power adaptors or headphones.

ronnlolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 54
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    seankill said:

Plus, those old chargers only accept an older USB-A cable -- so they are completely obsolete.   Apple should have been replacing them way, way back when they released the iPhone 8!

Many customers will be shocked to open the box when find that not only is there no new charger to go with the upgraded, fast charging phone, but the cable Apple so kindly "gave them" won't work without them spending an extra $19 on a new charger.

Many, maybe most customers will rightly consider that a "shake down" by a company they had always before been able to trust.

How are they obsolete? The new phones still have Lightning connectors so all the USB A - Lightning cables will still work with whatever USB A chargers that are kicking around. I would agree with this being an issue if the phones now had USB C connectors.
    ronnMplsPlolliverStrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Not true. 12pro still starts at 999, like the 11pro but comes with 128gb of storage instead of 64.  Now I can get that one instead of the 256 for me and the wifey. Also, top storage prices did come down. 

I am personally saving hundreds on two new iPhones because we can use the base storage now. 
    ronnretrogustocornchiprazorpitwatto_cobra