Apple launches iPhone 12 Pro line with new design, better cameras, LiDAR

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 947member
    crowley said:
    The phones look good, but that event was so much cringe.  I can't imagine anyone will bother parodying it as Apple do a fine job themselves.
    Fluff was absolutely on way over kill in the presentation. Like can they crank it down to say, three?
    razorpit
  • Reply 22 of 47
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 947member
    So my one big and only complaint is, why are they still at 12 megapixels?!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Anyone blown away?

:| 

PS: I'll order the Pro Max, but that's only because I am sheep.
    Ba ba ba Im with you...Ba ba ba 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 47
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,170member
    If you live in an area with 5G and make movies for Hollywood, the iPhone 12 is a nice improvement over the iPhone 11.
    razorpit
  • Reply 25 of 47
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,006member
    Ofer said:
    Is the included charging cable a braided cable as has been rumored? 
    Doesn’t look like it, based on the picture on Apple.com. It’s also USB-C, so you won’t be able to use your old USB-A chargers unless you also use your old cables or a dongle, I guess. I’m glad it’s still white, though. 

edited October 2020 Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Most underwhelming phone ever announced.
    These announcements bring out the trolls. Thanks for making it easier to find and block you.
    Calling others trolls stopped being witty in 2018. Only Appleinsider is filled with so many hardcore fanboys that someone merely expressing an opinion is decried as a "troll". Try harder.
    MplsPpscooter63avon b7zigzaglens
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Detnator said:

You're on some serious, serious drugs. Seek help.
    He's not out of line. I don't see people breaking down doors to comment or react here. That is quite contrary to prior (significantly new) iPhone intros...

Revealed preference.
    My experiences here in the past is that people have been breaking down the doors to complain about what wasn't included or a load of other negative stuff.  Those people appear to be silenced for the most part, which leaves the few of us who do actually like Apple stuff and are capable of intelligent conversation having some actually pretty sensible (albeit less vocal without the whiners) discussions for a nice change.

;-)
    Oh I don't know, but I think dealing with (a bit of) cognitive dissonance is a useful skill to develop... real world and all that.
    MplsP
  • Reply 28 of 47

crowley said:
    The phones look good, but that event was so much cringe.  I can't imagine anyone will bother parodying it as Apple do a fine job themselves.
    As with the last keynote, it's the music that grated for me, and overwhelmed everything else. Not so much the style of it, but the incessant boing-boing-boing...
  • Reply 29 of 47
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,073member
    No touchId as rumored is a big Fail - for at least the next 6 months till a Covid19 Vaccine is available.  But the blue is nice.   And hopefully it  has the QualComm modems.
    NotoriousDEV
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Especially since there was a fresh leak in the morning.  One more yr with the 7+. 

The pictures and videos did almost make me think about biting - then I realized they were taken by pros.  And very nice color mix. Although hoping for a black Pro Max next yr. 

k2kw said:
    No touchId as rumored is a big Fail - for at least the next 6 months till a Covid19 Vaccine is available.  But the blue is nice.   And hopefully it  has the QualComm modems.

• Reply 31 of 47
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,811member
    k2kw said:
    How is lack of TouchID in the iPhone 12 lineup a "Big Fail"? 

For fucks sake, COVID19 only became a thing in the U.S. towards the end of January, long after Apple had already finalized the iPhone 12 design, with very little room for any changes.

If Apple doesn't add TouchID to the iPhone 13, you can call fairly call it a "Big Fail", a year from now.
    edited October 2020 razorpitcornelius1pscooter63watto_cobrajdb8167
  • Reply 32 of 47
    OferOfer Posts: 147unconfirmed, member
    Ofer said:
    Is the included charging cable a braided cable as has been rumored? 
    Doesn’t look like it, based on the picture on Apple.com. It’s also USB-C, so you won’t be able to use your old USB-A chargers unless you also use your old cables or a dongle, I guess. I’m glad it’s still white, though. 

Well that just sucks. Apple’s cables are crap and don’t last
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Well that's the most boring presentation I have ever seen from Apple, they seem to have lost their Mojo, nothing really new to be honest, don't get me wrong , Apple iPhones still cut the mustard but like many, I now hold on to mu iPhone as long as I can.

I'm still running my iPhone 6+, why, because it still does what I purchased it for, I also still have my iPhone 4, which as you all know, has the same stainless steel frame as the new iPhone 12's.

Seems like Apple are just recycling their old designs.

NotoriousDEV
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Ofer said:
    Really?  Never had one fail at home, office, or in my vehicle.  You must be holding it wrong (cable plugged in while holding device against your body?)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 47
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,307member
    dicebier1 said:
    Agreed!

Bottom line - Apple needs to keep secrets like the old days, start REALLY innovating rather than these snowflake upgrades, and most importantly - get the excitement going again!

I have a iPhone XS MAX, skipped the 11, and now I'm skipping the 12.

Mass market will be like "no charging block?" "still a lightning connector?"

Another year of mild evolution...... I'll put my XS MAX against all this new stuff and come away happy and not regretting a thing.

Watch - They'll be giving these away to get you to sign up for unlimited
    Camera, screen brightness and battery life are noticeably better from the XS Max to the 11 Pro Max.  I also prefer the matte glass on the Pro Max as well.  5ghz wife connections and LTE are more reliable as well.   Returned my XS Max more than once for these reasons. 

I will agree however that allowing this much info to “leak” every year takes almost all of the excitement out of the keynotes.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 47
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,701member
    The 12 seems like a solid device but I’m not really bowled over by it. I don’t need Dolby HDR video recording. 5G is a big ‘meh’ as well - there’s precious little coverage and no actual use for it so I see no need to pay money for it. The A14 is an impressive chip as well, but my Xs is still plenty fast enough, so I won’t notice any difference there, either. The new camera features are nice but not really worth $1,000-1,400 when the phone I have is paid for and I don’t have anybody that needs a hand-me-down so I’ll be waiting another year or two. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 47
    MplsP said:
    The 12 seems like a solid device but I’m not really bowled over by it. I don’t need Dolby HDR video recording. 5G is a big ‘meh’ as well - there’s precious little coverage and no actual use for it so I see no need to pay money for it. The A14 is an impressive chip as well, but my Xs is still plenty fast enough, so I won’t notice any difference there, either. The new camera features are nice but not really worth $1,000-1,400 when the phone I have is paid for and I don’t have anybody that needs a hand-me-down so I’ll be waiting another year or two. 

This may end up being a bigger issue than we (and the analysts) realize. The X was so good (and the 11 only only a marginal improvement), I can see many people who don't particularly care about the new, whiz-bang camera features saying, "why don't I wait another year or two." The main thing I like about it is the retro form factor (I absolutely loved that style) and the new dark blue option in the Pro series.

(Anyone else seriously bothered by the stupid iOS keyboard in 13+ that constantly inserts a capitalized first letter when one is editing a sentence by inserting a new word? On what f'in planet does that make sense?! Is there no AI of any kind? Surely, Apple employees use the same keyboard? AAARGH...)
    edited October 2020 pscooter63sidricthevikingAlex1N
  • Reply 38 of 47
    jcs2305 said:

I will agree however that allowing this much info to “leak” every year takes almost all of the excitement out of the keynotes.  
    This has been the case for many years now. It's not somehow new to the 12.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 47
    OferOfer Posts: 147unconfirmed, member
    nicholfd said:
    Ofer said:
    Really?  Never had one fail at home, office, or in my vehicle.  You must be holding it wrong (cable plugged in while holding device against your body?)
    Most people I know complain about the quality on the charging cables Apple provides. You’re one of the few I’ve ever heard from who seems satisfied with them.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,399member
    I checked the physical size of the 12 Pro Max vs. the 7 Plus and it is the same width, but 0.10” taller.  I’m sold.   It looks like a good phone for the next 4 years for me.    

Jeezus, the complaining is terrible here.   I thought I was on macrumors.   
    tmaywatto_cobra