iPhone 12 Pro models have 6GB of RAM, iPhone 12 & iPhone 12 mini sport 4GB

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Based on information in Apple's latest Xcode beta, both of Apple's new iPhone 12 Pro models sport 6GB of RAM, while the less expensive iPhone 12 devices have 4GB of RAM.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Apple doesn't itself disclose how much memory its smartphones pack, but benchmark statistics and other data can shine some light on the subject. Benchmarks for the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11, for example, reveal that they both were equipped with 4GB of RAM.

Now, it appears Apple has shipped flagship smartphones with 6GB of memory for the first time. That's according to plist files discovered within the new Xcode 12.1 beta that were first spotted by Twitter user Hiraku.

Info from Xcode 12.1:

iPhone 12 mini (iPhone 13,1) & iPhone 12 (iPhone 13,2) 4GB RAM

iPhone 12 Pro (iPhone 13,3) & iPhone 12 Pro Max (iPhone 13,4) 6GB RAM

-- Hiraku (@hirakujira)

The difference in RAM, if accurate, would be one of the main performance differentiators between the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models. Both device types pack Apple's latest and greatest A14 Bionic chipset.

Additionally, there are some alleged early benchmark test results that are sourced from an iPhone 12 Pro. Specifically, the test is for a "iPhone 13,3" variant running iOS 14.1.

The benchmarks corroborate that the higher-tier iPhone sports 6GB of memory, and indicate that the device scored a 1590 in a single-core Geekbench testing and 3120 in multi-core testing. For comparison, the iPhone 11 Pro tests around 1336 in single-core and 3545 in multi-core.

Because of the discrepancy in multi-core score, it may be smart to be skeptical of the results. Geekbench tests can also easily be faked, and there's no way to verify whether these originated from an actual iPhone 12 Pro unit.

Apple unveiled the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro at its Oct. 13 keynote event. The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models will become available for preorder at 5 a.m. Pacific (8 a.m. Eastern) on Friday, Oct. 16. The iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max will become available to preorder on Nov. 6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member

The benchmarks corroborate that the higher-tier iPhone sports 6GB of memory, and indicate that the device scored a 1590 in a single-core Geekbench testing and 3120 in multi-core testing. For comparison, the iPhone 11 Pro tests around 1336 in single-core and 3545 in multi-core.

Because of the discrepancy in multi-core score, it may be smart to be skeptical of the results. Geekbench tests can also easily be faked, and there's no way to verify whether these originated from an actual iPhone 12 Pro unit.

The low multi core score could also be due to throttling - i.e. if the device was still being setup when the benchmark was done and was warmer than usual due to ongoing background tasks.

The 3 GHz clock for that single core score is quite impressive and, despite the debut of Cortex X1, it should still allow Apple to maintain their single core performance lead over Qualcomm and Samsung.

For reference, a supposed benchmark of the Exynos 2100 had it scoring 1323 in single core performance, which is about the same as last year's A13. Of course, the multi core performance was 4215, which is much further ahead of the A13.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Apple should have enough money to spend on more RAM for iPhones.  At least 6GB for all iPhones.  I wouldn't think it cost that much even for hundreds of millions of iPhones.  Maybe a few dollars more per iPhone when basing it on Apple's huge economies of scale?  I know it's basically the tech-heads who complain about apps closing on them when they try to load more than a few apps in memory.  It's just that many flagship Android smartphones come with 8GB to 12GB of memory and they don't have that problem.  I really don't understand Apple and it just makes them seem stingy.  I'm only saying it looks bad for Apple from a marketing point of view although specs don't tell the whole story. 

This isn't a complaint as I'm not a smartphone systems designer.  I'm simply trying to fathom what Apple is using that cash pile for and it's already a $2T market cap company.  I would love to hear what Apple has to say about always installing less RAM than all its competitors on flagship smartphones.  It's likely the average iPhone user isn't affected by it as long as the iPhone runs fast.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Apple should have enough money to spend on more RAM for iPhones.  At least 6GB for all iPhones.  I wouldn't think it cost that much even for hundreds of millions of iPhones.  Maybe a few dollars more per iPhone when basing it on Apple's huge economies of scale?  I know it's basically the tech-heads who complain about apps closing on them when they try to load more than a few apps in memory.  It's just that many flagship Android smartphones come with 8GB to 12GB of memory and they don't have that problem.  I really don't understand Apple and it just makes them seem stingy.  I'm only saying it looks bad for Apple from a marketing point of view although specs don't tell the whole story. 

This isn't a complaint as I'm not a smartphone systems designer.  I'm simply trying to fathom what Apple is using that cash pile for and it's already a $2T market cap company.  I would love to hear what Apple has to say about always installing less RAM than all its competitors on flagship smartphones.  It's likely the average iPhone user isn't affected by it as long as the iPhone runs fast.
    *cough* battery life 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    KITA said:

The low multi core score could also be due to throttling - i.e. if the device was still being setup when the benchmark was done and was warmer than usual due to ongoing background tasks.

The 3 GHz clock for that single core score is quite impressive and, despite the debut of Cortex X1, it should still allow Apple to maintain their single core performance lead over Qualcomm and Samsung.

For reference, a supposed benchmark of the Exynos 2100 had it scoring 1323 in single core performance, which is about the same as last year's A13. Of course, the multi core performance was 4215, which is much further ahead of the A13.
    Here is one for the iPad Air 4 with the A14:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/4169813

Multi score should be tied with the Exynos 2100 and they have 8 cores instead of 6.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I wish I had the ability to notice the difference this actually makes in the real world. I’m still rocking my XS thinking, damn this thing is fast.  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ph382ph382 Posts: 43member
    Apple should have enough money to spend on more RAM for iPhones.  At least 6GB for all iPhones.  

Apple uses a technique called Automated Reference Counting for program memory when running an app, as opposed to 'trash collection' like in a Java machine. Proponents argue that this means that Apple devices need only 1/3 the memory of conventional devices. This allows them to avoid some cost and power consumption.

tmaydavwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    i remember when people used to not only care but also argue about how much RAM iphones had. stopped caring a long time ago...
    watto_cobra