Samsung mocks Apple for removing power adapters from iPhone boxes

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung has taken to social media to mock Apple for its recent decision to remove power adapters from iPhone boxes.

Credit: Samsung
Credit: Samsung

Apple earlier in the week announced the move at its Oct. 13 keynote event, positioning it as part of its environmental progress initiative. In addition to iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro units, shipments of other iPhone models that Apple currently sells will also lack charging bricks.

As it has done numerous times in the past, Samsung poked fun at that decision in a Facebook post. The post, which features an image of a Galaxy power adapter, proclaims that the simple charging accessory is "included with your Galaxy."

"Your Galaxy does give you what you are looking for. From the most basic as a charger, to the best camera, battery, performance, memory and even 120Hz screen on a smartphone," the post reads.

Samsung, of course, has a long history of trolling Apple for moves that it eventually copies. The Galaxy maker made fun of Apple's decision to remove the headphone jack, before eventually following suit itself (and removing the mocking ads).

And there are already some rumors that Samsung is planning to remove the chargers from some Galaxy devices starting in 2021, The Verge reported earlier in July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    I know this is a decisive change today, but I think it's several years overdue. The only change I'd make is to either a) have included a USB-C cable and PSU at couple years back or b) include both cables today since I'm sure that USB-C PSUs aren't yet that commonplace nor understood by the public at large. It sure would be great if Apple let me recycle my drawer of old Apple PSUs for a little bit of store credit.

Samsung, of course, has a long history of trolling Apple for moves that it eventually copies. 

Every… fricken… time.

"All truthpasses through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.” — Arthur Schopenhauer
    edited October 2020 BeatsGG1StrangeDaysmwhitepscooter63flyingdpgilly33docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 74
    Children. Embarrassing. 
    peterhartBeatsrazorpitsuperklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 74
    Yawn. 

1. Need I remind people that Apple burst into public consciousness with their 1984 attack ad against IBM (and by extension Microsoft and Intel) in the first place?
    2. This is quite mild compared to Apple's years-long FUD driven "privacy! security!" advertisements and public statements with their recent commercial depicting people shouting credit card numbers and medical test results taking the cake. (Especially considering that while iOS may be secure the apps on it - Facebook, Twitter, TikTok etc. - are not, and that their "complying with local laws" makes the entire ad campaign outright false advertising since it doesn't have a "we protect your privacy so long as you stay outside China!" disclaimer).
    3. And as if Apple has never done this before. The stylus anyone? (Despite Apple and its fans various methods of backtracking and recontextualizing that infamous statement.) 
    4. If we were include the statements Apple fans - that Apple never disavowed - we can include: screens bigger than 4 inches, OLED, smart watches, mobile payments, wireless charging, CPUs with more than 2 cores, more than 1 GB of RAM, various types of multitasking, widgets, customizable home screens, app draws etc. All criticized by the Apple community as gaudy, poorly designed desperate gimmicks for years before Apple adopted them. Now that Apple has gotten a lot faster at adopting Samsung and Android tech, the criticism has basically stopped - very little mocking of foldable phones for example - because now everyone knows that Apple is going to adopt it if it sells.
    5. By the way ... Samsung never did and never will adopt the notch or anything resembling Face ID. (Which Apple is going to ditch in a couple of years.) And they only ditched the headphone jack in Galaxy Note and Galaxy S devices. Meaning that the vast majority of the phones that Samsung sells still has them
    Beats
  • Reply 4 of 74
    Children. Embarrassing. 
    You are 100% right. Only Apple has the right to criticize other companies in advertising campaigns. But no one has the right to do so in return. Is that how it goes? 
    peterhartMplsPpulseimageschemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 74
    Xed said:
    Samsung, of course, has a long history of trolling Apple for moves that it eventually copies. 

Every… fricken… time.

"All truthpasses through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.” — Arthur Schopenhauer
    1. Not every time AT ALL. As I stated above, Samsung never adopted the notch, never adopted Force Touch and the vast majority of their phones still offer headphone jacks.
    2. Not as many times as Apple has done the same with (say) the stylus, the phablet, LCD to OLED, wireless charging ... you name it. 
    3. Do not expect Samsung to copy the "portless iPhone" when it comes out either. USB-C is too important to give up on all models, and SD cards are too important to give up on midrange and cheap models. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 6 of 74
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Here we go again. They ridicule and poke fun at it. Then they follow suit.  3.5” headphone jack anyone?
    BeatsInspiredCodepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 74
    I think this is a little bit of a dangerous to be honest , one company is demonstrating real leadership on green issues and the other one isn’t.... Let’s be honest they do have a history of  copying Apple and sometimes it takes them a little bit longer. It would wager that within two years of doing exactly the same.
    edited October 2020 lordjohnwhorfinsedicivalvolewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 74
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    cloudguy said:
    Children. Embarrassing. 
    You are 100% right. Only Apple has the right to criticize other companies in advertising campaigns. But no one has the right to do so in return. Is that how it goes? 

Give an example. Never seen this EVER.
    mwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 74
    We know where this is going. All the iKnockoff morons will mock Apple along with Samsung like sheep while calling Apple users sheep. Then when Samsung copies the iKnockoff morons will say "this is where the industry was heading anyway!"

Rinse. Repeat.

How DARE Apple save our planet! Let's mock them for doing every living being, tree and living thing a favor!!!
    qwerty52docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 74
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Beats said:
    We know where this is going. All the iKnockoff morons will mock Apple along with Samsung like sheep while calling Apple users sheep. Then when Samsung copies the iKnockoff morons will say "this is where the industry was heading anyway!"

Rinse. Repeat.

How DARE Apple save our planet! Let's mock them for doing every living being, tree and living thing a favor!!!
    I think Apple is actually doing this to drive people to either use wireless charging or to have a higher adoption of fast charging 
    wby5
  • Reply 11 of 74
    Of course they did and they will remove the brick next year. Samsung is predictable as always.
    BeatsForumPostpscooter63superklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 74
    It doesn't matter if Samsung mocks them. The iPhone 12 and mini are going to outsell them anyway. Charger or not.
    Beatsmwhiteflyingdpsuperklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 74
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    Beats said:
    cloudguy said:
    Children. Embarrassing. 
    Luckily that was at the beginning of Yawny McSnoozeFest's dull and predictable diatribe so I did see that he mentioned an add that first aired back in 1983. It's not even close to the same caliber or creative level to demonstrate that your PC with a GUI and mouse is inherently unique compared to the competition, but it is, technically, an example.

A still irrelevant but more direct example from Apple was their Lemmings commercial that followed two years later. This is probably their worse ad (which I can't say for certain as I haven't seen every ad) because it attacks MS users, not the product.

The most relevant attack ad from Apple that I recall is from their successful I'm a Mac campaign. This was clever in that very few every had to mention MS by name. No other vendor was worth ever mentioning. It wasn't until the failure of Windows 7 that Apple finally addressed a competing brand by name.

That said, this is nothing compared to the simplistic, reactionary, and soon-to-be hypocritical ads from Samsung, which makes any point he's trying to make moot. I bet he'd claim Apple copied the notion of a smartphone, smartwatch, and using different display technologies from Samsung if you pressed him to grasp at more straws.

edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 74
    cloudguy said:
    Xed said:

Every… fricken… time.

1. Not every time AT ALL. As I stated above, Samsung never adopted the notch, never adopted Force Touch and the vast majority of their phones still offer headphone jacks.
    2. Not as many times as Apple has done the same with (say) the stylus, the phablet, LCD to OLED, wireless charging ... you name it. 
    3. Do not expect Samsung to copy the "portless iPhone" when it comes out either. USB-C is too important to give up on all models, and SD cards are too important to give up on midrange and cheap models. 

The notch one is funny. iKnockoff morons claimed the notch was copied from the Essential Phone camera hole. A camera hole that was just a camera from a knockoff iPhone no one knew or cared about until they found this excuse.

When Samsung made a camera hole in their knockoff iPhones people dismissed it. So a camera hole is not a notch if used AFTER the iPhone notch.

In short, YES Samsung copied the notch by iKnockoff users standards but not if you add exceptions to the rule to make Apple seem like they copied tech that's nothing like the TrueDeotch camera system.

2. Apple has never copied Samsung. The iPhone to this day does not support Pencil. It's not a stylus focused invention. The newton was but not the iPhone.

"Phablet"... yeah a bigger screen is such an innovation! Funny how when Apple invented the iPad iKnockoff morons claimed "It's just a giant iPod touch!" but when Samsung makes a bigger iPhone knockoff it's "an innovation!"

OLED and "wireless" charging are not a Samsung invention. When are morons gonna learn? Samsung made idiots think this and they ate it up like sheep. OLED is old outdated technology and the Wii had a "wireless" charging pad back in 2008.

3. And OF COURSE knockoff iPhones will copy portless iPhones. The same was said about the headphone jack and soft keyboard. Morons insisted no one would copy Apple's crappy inventions. "Those are toys!" "They don't make a good email machine!" Remember those? Also remember when people mocked Apple for adopting USB and USB-C?
    qwerty52tmayRayz2016watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 74
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    What a cool charger!!! Does it match the incredible styling of the bundled headphones? Wait, where are the headphones, Samesung???

I own so many friggin' chargers... and headphones... it isn't funny. Good going, Apple.
    edited October 2020 Beatslordjohnwhorfinpscooter63flyingdpdocno42watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 74
    Xed said:
    Beats said:
    cloudguy said:
    Children. Embarrassing. 
    Luckily that was at the beginning of Yawny McSnoozeFest's dull and predictable diatribe so I did see that he mentioned an add that first aired back in 1983. It's not even close to the same caliber or creative level to demonstrate that your PC with a GUI and mouse is inherently unique compared to the competition, but it is, technically, an example.

A still irrelevant but more direct example from Apple was their Lemmings commercial that followed two years later. This is probably their worse ad (which I can't say for certain as I haven't seen every ad) because it attacks MS users, not the product.

The most relevant attack ad from Apple that I recall is from their successful I'm a Mac campaign. This was clever in that very few every had to mention MS by name. No other vendor was worth ever mentioning. It wasn't until the failure of Windows 7 that Apple finally addressed a competing brand by name.

That said, this is nothing compared to the simplistic, reactionary, and soon-to-be hypocritical ads from Samsung, which makes any point he's trying to make moot. I bet he'd claim Apple copied the notion of a smartphone, smartwatch, and using different display technologies from Samsung if you pressed him to grasp at more straws.

The closest example I've seen is when they made fun of Windows 7. I haven't seen that ONE ad before. 1984 didn't attack a specific product and "I'm a PC" didn't except that ONE Vista ad. Unless there's more examples then that's pretty sad to nitpick at that one time in the 90s when Apple mentioned a product.

He's obviously a hater to compare that ONE ad from the 90s to the constant barrage of anti-Apple propaganda from iKnockoff manufactures every day. I remember when SAmsung spent 14 billion on an anti-Apple campaign back in 2014, this is where the sheep came from.
    docno42watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 74
    tshapi said:
    Beats said:

Rinse. Repeat.

I think Apple is actually doing this to drive people to either use wireless charging or to have a higher adoption of fast charging 

I think the issue is that most people are buying AirPods and tossing EarPods in the drawer or trash. I've found EarPods before and have had them given to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 74
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    The hypocritical nature of Samsung keeps coming back to bite them in the ass but they keep blundering on as if no one notices. And they do notice, even in the non-tech crowd like us. Pretty childish really and embarrassing for Samsung, but seems they don't care that people are laughing at them. 
    Beatsqwerty52lordjohnwhorfinThinkmanDuvGG1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 19 of 74
    elijahg said:
    The hypocritical nature of Samsung keeps coming back to bite them in the ass but they keep blundering on as if no one notices. And they do notice, even in the non-tech crowd like us. Pretty childish really and embarrassing for Samsung, but seems they don't care that people are laughing at them. 

iKnockoff users don't notice, they IGNORE. That's the problem.

"It's where the industry was going anyway!!"
    -A nice slide to avoid giving Apple credit.
    qwerty52pscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 20 of 74
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Most of those Samsung chargers will eventually be used to power an iOS device. 
    DangDavehentaiboyroakeThinkmanDuvmuthuk_vanalingamrazorpitinTIMidatorwatto_cobrajony0