Bill Gates says antitrust regulators should scrutinize tech giants separately

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates in an interview on Thursday offered his opinion on big tech antitrust issues, saying regulators should examine each company on a case-by-case basis.

Bill Gates

Speaking at the GeekWire Summit, Gates, himself no stranger to government audit, suggested it is a mistake to group companies like Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Google into a collective, as the firms operate in vastly different markets.

Apple, for example, is being examined for its App Store policies, while Google is under the microscope for building an alleged monopoly in search and advertising.

"Certainly the scrutiny is important," Gates said, as reported by CNBC. "These companies are shaping communications, commerce -- and the politicians have to think of, Okay, what are the rules there?' I think it's kind of unfortunate that they're grouping the companies together, because there are so many different issues."

The companies share a general operating arena, but that umbrella is vast and in some cases overlaps with established traditional markets. As such, the problems being investigated are highly specific and often not applicable to the entire tech sector. Still, lawmakers and officials looking into antitrust issues have taken to lumping the companies together as one entity.

"If they want to get serious, they're going to have to focus in, enumerate the issues and them debate them. So I'd say we're kind of at the beginning," Gates said of government regulators.

The tech mogul went on to say that U.S. should learn from the example set by Europe, which is more receptive to aggressive action against supposed monopolists.

Apple has been the target of multiple European Commission probes related to taxes and antitrust issues. In 2016, the EU's antitrust watchdog slapped the iPhone maker with a $14.5 billion bill for back taxes stemming from deemed illegal benefits got in Ireland. That decision was annulled in July, though the Commission continues to fight for the money.

More recently, the Commission in June launched probes into the App Store and Apple Pay.

In the U.S., Apple is the target of a wide-ranging investigation into abuses of power by big tech firms. The company's App Store fees and policies are chief among the issues in play, but lawmakers have also looked into copy-acquire-kill strategies, overbearing management of parental control apps and "sherlocking."

Apple CEO Tim Cook addressed legislators at a U.S. House Antitrust Subcommittee hearing in July, maintaining that his company does not hold monopoly power in any market in which it competes. Despite Cook's official -- and unofficial -- statements on the matter, the committee in a final report issued earlier this month found Apple to enjoy monopoly power in relation to its handling of iOS and the App Store. The report recommends legislative changes that include the dilution and separation of certain dominant corporate structures.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Umm... ok. 

Any other approach would be a non-starter if something were to actually get past the wish-list stage from Congress, so it seems to me he's stating the obvious. 
    JapheyGeorgeBMacwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 22
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    Starting with Microsoft. 
    lkruppBeatsmwhitewilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Yes, regulators should examine Microsoft's enterprise software licensing, as well as per seat licensing of operating system and office software.
    Beatsapplguywilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 22
    => "I think it's kind of unfortunate that they're grouping the companies together, because there are so many different issues."

But it allows for muddying the waters in order to get away with things that otherwise may be very hard to argue for.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    "We failed at copying new Apple technology, GO GET EM!!"
    williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Shut up and sit down, Bill.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cronbow said:
    Bill Gates of Hell, a eugenicist who’s father was director of Planned Parenthood (originally called the Negro Project founded by Margaret Sanger, a racist eugenicist herself who’s goal was  to control the population growth of blacks in America) 
    I’m not going to suggest any links, but folk really need to search out information on what the Gates Foundation is planning for Africa. 

Japheyapplguydocno42watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Rayz2016 said:
    cronbow said:
    Bill Gates of Hell, a eugenicist who’s father was director of Planned Parenthood (originally called the Negro Project founded by Margaret Sanger, a racist eugenicist herself who’s goal was  to control the population growth of blacks in America) 
    I’m not going to suggest any links, but folk really need to search out information on what the Gates Foundation is planning for Africa. 

Maybe just 1 link? There is so much info out there that it’s hard to sift through the propaganda. Or maybe I’m just feeling lazy tonight. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Japhey said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cronbow said:

Maybe just 1 link? There is so much info out there that it’s hard to sift through the propaganda. Or maybe I’m just feeling lazy tonight. 

Tell you what. I'll post two: for and against.

Sounds fair?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bill-gates-coronavirus-vaccine-conspiracy_n_5eb9ab7ac5b69358ef8a9803
    https://childrenshealthdefense.org/news/the-bill-gates-effect-whos-dtp-vaccine-kills-more-children-in-africa-than-the-diseases-it-targets/

Gates says that if he can decrease the mortality rate in children in Africa, then Africans will have less children. So then the questions are:

Who died and made him God?
    What methods is he using to test these new drugs?
    JapheywilliamlondonPascalxxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Rayz2016 said:
    Japhey said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cronbow said:

Sounds fair?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bill-gates-coronavirus-vaccine-conspiracy_n_5eb9ab7ac5b69358ef8a9803
    https://childrenshealthdefense.org/news/the-bill-gates-effect-whos-dtp-vaccine-kills-more-children-in-africa-than-the-diseases-it-targets/

Gates says that if he can decrease the mortality rate in children in Africa, then Africans will have less children. So then the questions are:

Africains making less childrens is just the logical step of any country with an improvement in health. The average family wont feel the need to make 10 childrens if the first three don’t die as much as they used to.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Japhey said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cronbow said:

Sounds fair?

Thank you. I’m going to read these in the morning. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Microsoft should be investigated for the Zune alone. Actually, for the “iPhone Funeral” event as well come to think of it. Jail time!
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Bill Gates: the guy who supposedly wants to give away his fortune to philanthropy, yet always remains as the #1 or #2 wealthiest person in the world. Quite the trick. 
    jdb8167watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 14 of 22
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Bill Gates: the guy who supposedly wants to give away his fortune to philanthropy, yet always remains as the #1 or #2 wealthiest person in the world. Quite the trick. 
    He does intend to give it away, once he dies.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Japhey said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cronbow said:

Sounds fair?

Yeh!  Such EVIL!   PURE EVIL -- How DARE he spend his personal fortune trying to save the lives of children!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Gates is correct.  
    Just as one cannot generalize about different people to put them all in the same basket (that's generally condemned as racism, xenophobia, homophobia and the like) you cannot generalize about different organizations operating in different industries.

Yeh, proclamations and exclamations sell well and get the politicians some free air time.   But it doesn't advance the well being of the country or its people.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    saarek said: He does intend to give it away, once he dies.
    You forgot to include the giant asterisk at the end of that statement for all of the inevitable loopholes and exceptions. The Gates Foundation isn't just for philanthropy. It's also a gigantic tax shelter for the Gates family.
    jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    saarek said: He does intend to give it away, once he dies.
    You forgot to include the giant asterisk at the end of that statement for all of the inevitable loopholes and exceptions. The Gates Foundation isn't just for philanthropy. It's also a gigantic tax shelter for the Gates family.
    Bill Gates said his children will inherit just $10 million each, which is about 1% of the family fortune.  The three Gates children reportedly say they're happy with it and want to make their own way. Well, $10M will get them well down the road but they'll still need to buy their own gas and oil. The Gates Foundation seems to be on the up and up. It's not for enriching the family IMO
    edited October 2020 tmayGeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 19 of 22
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Japhey said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cronbow said:

Sounds fair?

Unfortunately less mortality rate does not mean less children, because women in Africa often don't have a choice whether they have a(nother) child or not. Contraception is relatively hard to come by, especially contraception that doesn't require the involvement of the man i.e. contraception that is not the condom. So decreasing mortality will actually increase the number of children, who will likely die of other means related to overpopulation instead, like lack of food or water.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    I think each FAAG kid should get exactly one slap each — whether they’ve done something bad or not. Perhaps they are thinking of doing something.