Install OS 9 on OS X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I installed OS X 10.1.5 just a little while ago without OS 9, thinking I wouldn't need OS 9 anymore.

Well, I was wrong, and I can't seem to find a way to install OS 9 with my factory-issue disk on my Cube. Is there anyone who knows how to boot from a disk in OS X? Or, somehow install OS 9 on OS X?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m0uze

I installed OS X 10.1.5 just a little while ago without OS 9, thinking I wouldn't need OS 9 anymore.

Well, I was wrong, and I can't seem to find a way to install OS 9 with my factory-issue disk on my Cube. Is there anyone who knows how to boot from a disk in OS X? Or, somehow install OS 9 on OS X?

Insert the OS 9 disk in to the CD Drive. Restart. Hold down the "C" key. This will force it to start off of whatever CD is in the CD drive, if it bootable of course.

Also, I hope you formated the hard drive as HFS+ when you installed OS X, and not UFS, 'cause OS 9 won't install on UFS.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Also keep in mind that if upon installing Mac OS 9 you wish to boot off of 9 instead of X, you need to make sure you install the hdd level drivers for Mac OS 9. A lot of people forgot about this, and then wonder why OS 9 won't boot anymore.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

Also keep in mind that if upon installing Mac OS 9 you wish to boot off of 9 instead of X, you need to make sure you install the hdd level drivers for Mac OS 9. A lot of people forgot about this, and then wonder why OS 9 won't boot anymore.

M3D Jack is correct. I beleive there will be a OPTIONS button on the left side of the window that you will have click to begiven the choice to install the drivers he speaks of.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    m0uzem0uze Posts: 2member
    hmmm.... thank you for the advice, but hitting 'c' at start up doesn't make it boot off the cd, any suggestions?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    not just hitting it, you have to press 'c' until you see the happy mac.