AppleInsider answers all your HomePod mini questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
The HomePod mini is shaping up to be quite popular with its expansive feature set and low price tag. We reached out to our audience for what you all wanted to know about HomePod mini and we've already been inundated with piles of questions.

HomePod mini
White HomePod mini

The HomePod mini is Apple's new $99 smart speaker. It is much smaller than the full-size HomePod, but lacks the larger unit's spatial awareness and home theater mode.

Otherwise, the HomePod mini can do just the same as its big brother. In some cases, it can do more thanks to the addition of the U1 chip for a better Handoff experience.

HomePod mini can play music on its own from a variety of sources but also can play any content using AirPlay 2. It acts as a Home Hub for your HomeKit accessories, can be used as an intercom system, get personalized recommendations, and much more.

Apple plans to release HomePod mini on November 16 with preorders starting November 6. While we wait, here are our answers to your biggest questions.

Will the HomePod mini allow more than two simultaneous Bluetooth HomeKit connections?

Yes. This isn't a current limitation and the HomePod mini should allow constant connections of any Bluetooth HomeKit accessories nearby.
Thanks Chris Doiron

How does handoff work with non-U1 enabled iPhones?

Handoff will work with the HomePod mini in the same way that it works with existing HomePods. When handing off it will detect the nearby Bluetooth signal and transfer over AirPlay. HomePod mini just has an improved experience.
Thanks Anonymous

What is the integration like for third-party music services such as Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, etc?

Apple has promised support for streaming music from third-party services as part of the HomePod's audioOS 14 update. We haven't been able to use this feature yet as the update has not been released, but it seems HomePod will be able to stream from many sources directly without using AirPlay.

Some sources -- such as Spotify -- appear to be absent and will have to be implemented by the provider itself. For now, if you wish to stream Spotify to your HomePod mini, you will need to use AirPlay 2.
Thanks Luke

Will it work for Apple TV home theater if paired to a full-size HomePod?

You cannot pair the HomePod mini with a full-size HomePod. If you have a stereo pair of HomePod minis you can use them as speakers for your Apple TV via AirPlay but only the full-size HomePod can be set as a Dolby Atmos speaker for Apple TV 4K.
Thanks James

Where will the HomePod mini be available at launch?

At launch, HomePod mini will be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Spain, the UK, and theUS. China, Mexico, and Taiwan will get HomePod mini by the end of 2020.
Thanks Jacques

When is the HomePod OS 14 update going to be released?

We don't know for sure as Apple has not revealed a release date but we expect it to be released by the time HomePod mini hits shelves on November 16.
Thanks Adam Bradley

How many watts does the HomePod mini output?

At this time we do not know how much power the HomePod mini can output.
Thanks Dominique

Does the HomePod mini have a line-out to connect to other audio devices?

There are no wired inputs or outputs for audio on the HomePod mini. There is no line-out to connect other speakers.
Thanks Jos Verstoppen

Will Siri's response time be the same for home automations with the S5 chip?

While it is hard to tell with certainty, it seems the S5 is most similar to the A9 or A10 processor. The existing HomePod has an A8 processor inside which means that there is the potential for HomePod mini to be slightly faster in its responses than the full-size HomePod. We will need to have the HomePod mini in our hands to know for sure.
Thanks Mitch Lemos

Is it possible to use the HomePod mini as a rear or center speaker in a 5.1 surround setup?

No, it can only be set up as a solo unit or stereo pair. A pair of original HomePods will support Dolby Atmos audio with Apple TV 4K though.
Thanks Jeff Tropeano

What does the power cord look like?

Apple hasn't shown the power cable clearly, so we will see for sure when it arrives. We can assume it will look similar to the existing HomePod's cable with a wall plug on one end rather than USB.
Thanks Robert Schwenk

Is it true that home theater support with Dolby Atmos is coming?

Apple will allow the full-size HomePod paired with an Apple TV 4K for home theater mode which includes Dolby Atmos support. It works with one, but is recommended to use a stereo pair.

The update for Dolby Atmos is coming with the HomePod OS 14.2 update as well as tvOS 14.2. Atmos Support will not be coming to the HomePod mini.
Thanks Elvys

Is it possible to play Spotify music or just Apple Music on the HomePod mini?

Apple has announced several music sources for HomePod mini including Pandora, Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, and Radio.com. Others, including Spotify, will work over AirPlay.
Thanks Daniel

Does the HomePod mini support Bluetooth connection?

The HomePod mini is not compatible with Bluetooth audio streaming. The Bluetooth connection is only used for setup and other minor features. AirPlay 2 requires Wi-Fi.
Thanks Rand al'Thor

What are Apple's future plans for the new chip that can locate iPhones nearby? HomeKit automations potentially?

We don't know what Apple's future plans are but rumors have suggested that HomePod mini will be instrumental in future smart home plans including automating your HomeKit accessories and location devices.
Thanks Brad

How many HomePods or HomePod minis can I pair together?

Two HomePods or two HomePod minis can be paired in stereo for left and right audio, to form one streaming device. AirPlay 2 lets you play the same audio on several HomePods, HomePod minis, stereo pairs, or other AirPlay 2-enabled speakers at once.

There is no noted limit on the number of AirPlay 2 devices that can be streamed to at once, but we suspect the limit is 127 devices based on network addressing and other hardware considerations.
Thanks Nathan Cunningham

Do you have questions about the HomePod mini that you'd like to ask? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod or HomePod mini. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.
dewme

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    So it sounds like you can only use two HomePods of any size for home theater use. No rear speakers or even a center speaker or woofer, the two HomePods will do everything.

Is this correct?

Do they actually handle enough of the sound to produce real surround sound or is this simply a gimmick?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    rob53 said:
    So it sounds like you can only use two HomePods of any size for home theater use. No rear speakers or even a center speaker or woofer, the two HomePods will do everything.

Is this correct?

Do they actually handle enough of the sound to produce real surround sound or is this simply a gimmick?
    Just two, that is correct.

And, in regards to your second question, we don't know yet. They get pretty loud in my living room at low volumes from that standpoint, but I haven't implemented the Atmos patch yet.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 36
    I was in on  these until I saw “no line-out”. If I can’t play my turntable through them, then I will stick with Sonos. 
    edited October 2020 williamlondonpulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 36
    cvccvc Posts: 1member
    Regarding what the power cord looks like, the tech specs on the website says that there is a 20 watt power adapter in the box. It doesn’t say there is a separate cord included so it’s probably hardwired on one end or the other
    cecil4444watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    cvc said:
    Regarding what the power cord looks like, the tech specs on the website says that there is a 20 watt power adapter in the box. It doesn’t say there is a separate cord included so it’s probably hardwired on one end or the other
    We're sure it's hardwired, in a similar fashion to the one on the HomePod (socket, but not convenient to the user). What we're not sure about yet is what the brick or cable looks like. We'll see.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Could I use two minis as dedicated speakers for a Mac Pro? Is there a way to “lock” onto them permanently from a device so they play all audio, like system sounds, etc. or can you only play things manually like music from iTunes?
    aderutterpulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    rob53 said:

Is this correct?

Fuzzy question to be honest. So with Apple TV 4K, one or two full-size HomePods can be used for Home Theater mode which brings Dolby Atmos support. HomePod mini does not support Hoem theater mode. That said, you could use as many HoemPod mini's you want with AirPlay 2 from your Apple TV. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Any semblance of a true home theater audio reproduction is not going to be achieved with HomePods. They can use algorithms and all the other magic potion psuedo out of Apple's R&D and it will never, ever be a substitute/replacement.

I own 2 of the original HomePods and have used them as a stereo pair in my office and used them individually. They currently are deployed individually in the laundry room and the kitchen. With the "Intercom" feature forthcoming, they will probably see more use. SIRI...
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I’m still not biting. Much better price, but one driver? I would be shocked if this sounds any better than an Alexa. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 10 of 36
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Q: Can you use Intercom between households?
  • Reply 11 of 36
    omasouomasou Posts: 573member
    I was in on  these until I saw “no line-out”. If I can’t play my turntable through them, then I will stick with Sonos. 
    You would instead use a product like this to stream from traditional equipment...https://www.bowerswilkins.com/formation/audio
    winstoner71
  • Reply 12 of 36
    cvc said:
    We're sure it's hardwired, in a similar fashion to the one on the HomePod (socket, but not convenient to the user). What we're not sure about yet is what the brick or cable looks like. We'll see.
    According to MR, the cable ends in a USB-C connector and ships with a 20W brick in the box.  If that's the case, plugged into a 10000mAh power bank, the Mini could be truly portable.  An industrious-type person could conceivably design a small cylindrical power bank (with wrap around cable management as a base/stand) and have a modicum of success I think.  
    gregoriusmcecil4444
  • Reply 13 of 36
    omasou said:
    You would instead use a product like this to stream from traditional equipment...https://www.bowerswilkins.com/formation/audio

Interesting. Good looking out. The price is way up there but it looks like an awesome component so would be worth it if I decide to go with HomePod minis. Now the question I look forward to being answered is how do they compare sound-wise with Sonos. 

• Reply 14 of 36
    ”AppleInsider answers ALL your HomePod mini questions”

I bet you can’t tell when it will arrive in Sweden? Seriously, what’s taking them so long? We still haven’t got the original HomePod. I guess I would prefer the bigger one, but I’m in a thigh budget so I’ll look forward to reviews of the sound for this mini one:)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    larrya said:
    I’m still not biting. Much better price, but one driver? I would be shocked if this sounds any better than an Alexa. 
    I think it'll sound better than "an Alexa", by which presumably you mean an Amazon Echo, but it won't be able to simulate stereo with a mono driver. The HP Maxi sort of has stereo by seemingly blasting different channels out of the left and right side of the speaker when it's against a wall.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    This whole intercom mode sounds more like a voice text message that we’ve had for ages. It’s not like you can carry on a full duplex conversation right? To me it appears  every time you want to say something you have to say “Hey Siri intercom to John’s room {then message}.”
  • Reply 17 of 36
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    The Intercom mode looks handy, but I agree that it looks to be simplex "audio texting", similar to early intercoms. For an intercom, I do prefer simplex as some people just can't take turns and need to monopolize a conversation.

So far, there's not an Echo device that sounds anywhere near as good as my HomePods, let alone better. One day that may happen, but not with anything Bezos has now. The HomePod needs more presence to my ear, but it's clean sound holds up as volume really increases, unlike any Echo product.

I fully admit Alexa is a largely a much better digital assistant than Siri, but a cheap Dot can handle that. I've found Siri to be extremely slow and far less capable on the HP than on a phone or iPad. As there's no video screen, the Siri on the HP has to talk to you. I find this annoying, especially when she can't do something simple like turn of lights. Siri on the phone seldom fails, but does on occasion needed to be told again.

I expect the HP mini to sound over all better than most Alexa kit, especially at higher volumes, not that I want to rock the house. But I still expect that Apple is like on presence.

Having two Larger HomePods (anybody remember Advent Speakers?) I don't see a mini in my future, unless I can start music on an HP in one room and pick it up on an hp (HPm) in another room without any hoops involved.

Except for the Siri/Music playback, some people might be much happier with HK Soundsticks for aural pleasure from their TV. 
  • Reply 18 of 36
    The HomePod is overpriced for what it is. 
  • Reply 19 of 36

I was thinking on getting a HomePod, would you recommend me to wait for a HomePod 2 or getting two minis? I'm concern about the chip and new features.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    cvc said:
    I am pretty sure they have declared it as ISB-C on the cord end.
    cecil4444watto_cobra