Leaker says 'AirTags' coming soon -- in two sizes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    My assumption is that the primary use cases for the AirTag will be to locate a device that has an AirTag attached to it. That's cool, but I think it would also be very cool if Apple offered a "Reverse AirTag" experience for all portable Apple devices, notably iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. For the Reverse AirTag use case case the AirTag would be attached to the device's owner rather than the device. Perhaps it would be in your wallet of on a necklace like a dog tag. If the device detected that its owner's AirTag was out of range (beyond a predefined geofence) the device would place itself into a protected mode that only allowed the device owner access to the device. It seems like this could be one possible way to protect multiple devices that should never leave a specific location (or wearer/holder) without having to place a tag (that can be removed) on every device. I suppose Apple could also integrate a "virtual AirTag" into every portable device it builds, kind of like a virtual SIM. 
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 35
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    Gaby said:
    AndrewV said:
    Yet more, expensive disposable devices like the Apple Watch and AirPods. 
    I would have to disagree with this statement by and large. Generally speaking Apple products have a much longer shelf life than competing models anyway. 
    I wish Apple would support the still very capable older mac pro towers, at least in the macOS software...

Yeah even if they put a disclaimer saying there’s no guarantees of things running optimally or as expected. Most people won’t bother but there are a select few that still find use in these things or people that like to tinker. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    maestro64 said:
    It must be true since Twitter would have pulled it down if it was hearsay or unreliable.
    Or if it were the result of hacking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 35
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    neillwd said:
    maestro64 said:
    It must be true since Twitter would have pulled it down if it was hearsay or unreliable.
    Or if it were the result of hacking.
    you are right there is no way this person hacked his way into Apple's supplier network to get this information. Twitter is know this stuff.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 35
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    I am pretty sure with a product like this Apple will either have a replaceable battery or a trade-in value so Apple can recycle them once the internal battery dies.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Beats said:
    AirTags 2"

AirTags Mini 3"

(iPhone Mini joke)
    AirTag
    AirTag Pro of course
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 27 of 35
    AndrewV said:
    Not really. You can bring your Watch in for battery service. AirPods are covered under warranty and AppleCare; they end up giving you replacements but they recycle your old ones. So your claim is just hot air. Rawr!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Gaby said:
    Gaby said:
    AndrewV said:
    I would have to disagree with this statement by and large. Generally speaking Apple products have a much longer shelf life than competing models anyway. 
    I wish Apple would support the still very capable older mac pro towers, at least in the macOS software...

Yeah even if they put a disclaimer saying there’s no guarantees of things running optimally or as expected. Most people won’t bother but there are a select few that still find use in these things or people that like to tinker. 
    Apple doesn’t cater to the tinkerer market. I’m sure such a tinkerer could tinker with macOS itself if they’re past the years of compatibility period. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Gaby said:
    AndrewV said:
    http://dosdude1.com/software.html
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    maestro64 said:

Speaking of unreliable information....
  • Reply 31 of 35

AndrewV said:
    How is  Watch disposable?
    This is what passes for troll humor.

I expect the small ones have smaller batteries and range (UWB). the larger may be some other technology in addition to or besides UWB, because UWB has a limited range by design (up to about 30m I believe.  Larger device implies larger battery, which implies WiFi.   Yes, I'm speculating.

Rumors are poison.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 35
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    dewme said:
    My assumption is that the primary use cases for the AirTag will be to locate a device that has an AirTag attached to it. That's cool, but I think it would also be very cool if Apple offered a "Reverse AirTag" experience for all portable Apple devices, notably iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. For the Reverse AirTag use case case the AirTag would be attached to the device's owner rather than the device. Perhaps it would be in your wallet of on a necklace like a dog tag. If the device detected that its owner's AirTag was out of range (beyond a predefined geofence) the device would place itself into a protected mode that only allowed the device owner access to the device. It seems like this could be one possible way to protect multiple devices that should never leave a specific location (or wearer/holder) without having to place a tag (that can be removed) on every device. I suppose Apple could also integrate a "virtual AirTag" into every portable device it builds, kind of like a virtual SIM. 
    Not an entirely bad idea, but we already have and use biometrics to achieve much of this. In particular, the Apple Watch knows when it is taken off (and locks itself) so in my opinion this idea is meritless for the Apple Watch. I thought you were going in a different direction with this... I thought you were going to say that the lost device would display a message that it should be returned to the owner who is in the following direction (and it will point its way on its locked screen to the owner showing the distance to travel.) In this case, it would work for iOS devices plus the Apple Watch and also for laptops (which you didn't include i your list.) In my experience 50% of people return property that they find, and this could increase that percentage. If I weren't lazy and cheap I'd patent this idea.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 35
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    JinTech said:
    I am pretty sure with a product like this Apple will either have a replaceable battery or a trade-in value so Apple can recycle them once the internal battery dies.
    If the air tags use only ultra wide band, they should have such low power per bit transmitted, and so few bits they need to send per second, that even a very tiny battery should never run down.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 35
    I wished they would never be released by any smartphone producer. These things are evil.
    Let us look at a good use-case (not sure it will be there from day one):
    - Parents attach an AirTag (or an IoT accessory or whatever you call them in the future) to the bag of their kid
    - Most of phone users agree to support this feature. This means their phones detects all such accessories autmatically and send the location to a server
    - Just the parents (=owner) can ask for the precise location, actually in real-time without any need for activated GPS or battery in the accessory

The horror scenario:
    - You throw such an accessory into someone's bag, car etc.
    - The phone users provide you with free-of-charge tracking servce
    - A dream for agencies!

This things should be proscribed.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    FoodLover said:
    I wished they would never be released by any smartphone producer. These things are evil.
    Let us look at a good use-case (not sure it will be there from day one):
    - Parents attach an AirTag (or an IoT accessory or whatever you call them in the future) to the bag of their kid
    - Most of phone users agree to support this feature. This means their phones detects all such accessories autmatically and send the location to a server
    - Just the parents (=owner) can ask for the precise location, actually in real-time without any need for activated GPS or battery in the accessory

The horror scenario:
    - You throw such an accessory into someone's bag, car etc.
    - The phone users provide you with free-of-charge tracking servce
    - A dream for agencies!

This things should be proscribed.
    You can already do this with all sorts of devices — my neighbor's cat has a GPS tracking device on its collar. It's beyond a little late for slippery slope FUD.
    watto_cobra