Great things to come from....APPLE, begin with this week,NAB.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Man, it has been so long since I have posted to this Forum, that I had to reset my password. I'm quite glad that the email was working in a speedy manner tonight. I have been quite busy with other things these past few weeks, but I should be around more for the rest of this week.

I have some info that reached me through a close friend, who is a director for a certain plastic company. I would not call this information close to the source since the plastic company does not know of apples plans. However, from the information I have gathered through my friend, it does seem as if Apple Computer is working on a new case for the 970. I realize we all know that the 970 is coming and that the real question is when not if. Some people, however, have questioned whether apple is going to make a new case, this should silence their insolence.

I did not make a new topic for this post, for I did not think it appropriate for so little info. I mean there isn't much to discuss here. You guys take care. And don't bash Kormac to much...well on second thought just keep it clean...well actually if anything goes wrong you can blame it on matsu.
  • Reply 62 of 122
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

Guess! Who I was

Steve's maid?
  • Reply 63 of 122
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I don't know about apple, but someone else will have something very cool at NAB and it uses firewire.
  • Reply 64 of 122
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    No shit, sherlock. :P It still puzzles me that new Apple software might come out at NAB, but the 970 comes AFTER NAB.....strange.
  • Reply 65 of 122
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

No shit, sherlock. :P It still puzzles me that new Apple software might come out at NAB, but the 970 comes AFTER NAB.....strange.

Apple is having a closed event at NAB (invite only) and it wouldn't be out of the question that Apple would spill some info (or make major hints) and on top of that it would only make sense that Apple has ALREADY previewed (or will soon) new hardware to 'the big buyers' in that industry.

What I don't understand, and this is really bugging me...

Just a month or so ago this happened...

Quote:

Pixar Animation Studios -- which shares CEO Steve Jobs with Apple Computer -- is switching from Sun Microsystems to Intel, according to c|net. The film studio is replacing servers from Sun in its render farm with eight new servers from Rackspace. In all, the blade system contains 1,024 Intel 2.8GHz Xeon processors, and it runs the open-source Linux operating system. As part of the switch to Intel for rendering, Pixar has ported its Renderman software to run on Linux. Sun and AMD both submitted bids on the Pixar deal. At Macworld in January, Intel President Paul Otellini sat in the front row for Steve Jobs' keynote as a VIP guest of Apple. Later in January, Jobs delivered the morning keynote address at Intel's annual sales conference in Las Vegas.

Now this is pretty effing strange...

The only way it makes any sense at all is with the following:

Steve rolling out the new 970 based Macs...

Steve: ' As you know I have more than a passing connection with Pixar ' yadda yadda yadda

Steve: Back in January Pixar moved it's entire render-farm from Sun based systems to Intel 2.8Ghz processors because they really were that much better. (boos from the crowd) (sly grin on Steves face) Maybe even a demo to show the speed difference.

Steve: Well it looks like Pixar will be changing their CPU of choice again this fall now that the 970 is here. Yadda yadda yadda (cheers - attaboys - speed demos galore - etc etc etc)

Seems like an expensive way for Pixar to go (buying into a 1024 intel render-farm) all for a cool way to intro an Apple product but I don't know how else to explain it...

Dave
  • Reply 66 of 122
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

There's nothing really puzzling about it. Apples Software and Digital Video strategy are seperate from what processor Apple uses. Most users are still on G4s they need to know where Apple is going as far as Software. The hardware will take care of itself.
  • Reply 67 of 122
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    DaveGee

Could be that any blades manufactured using an IBM 970 are still a ways off and as far as software running on IBM blades I haven't a clue, but there might be some issues to be resolved???

Oh, and I forgot to add that Pixar has deadlines, as in very current deadlines. (still got a couple of Disney movies to do before the contract's up for renewal.)
  • Reply 68 of 122
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Originally posted by Davegee:

Quote:

The only way it makes any sense at all is with the following:

Steve rolling out the new 970 based Macs...

Steve: ' As you know I have more than a passing connection with Pixar ' yadda yadda yadda

Steve: Back in January Pixar moved it's entire render-farm from Sun based systems to Intel 2.8Ghz processors because they really were that much better. (boos from the crowd) (sly grin on Steves face) Maybe even a demo to show the speed difference.

Steve: Well it looks like Pixar will be changing their CPU of choice again this fall now that the 970 is here. Yadda yadda yadda (cheers - attaboys - speed demos galore - etc etc etc)

Seems like an expensive way for Pixar to go (buying into a 1024 intel render-farm) all for a cool way to intro an Apple product but I don't know how else to explain it...

That would be stupid as hell. No way a company is going to move from A to B to C after having B (the Xeons) for less than a year. No Way. (TM)
  • Reply 69 of 122
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    The Pixar thing is irrelevant. Steve will sanction the purchase of whatever the Technical Directors want and these companies will buy kit on a per project basis. They probably needed them like, today. I dare say Steve was doing the Intel CEO shmooze to get the price down! ("gee, these Itaniums are really fast...maybe we could use 'em at Apple if, ya know, we can make a deal..."

Expect a major purchase of Xserve 970's in a year or so's time.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    The render farm is a small part of the total cost of a Pixar film.

Pixar buys a render farm to render one film and then sells it off promptly. They could easily render a film and then build a new render farm in a few months for another film.
  • Reply 71 of 122
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Dave

Why is that strange. Put yourself in his shoes. Do you want to spend a crapload more on Sun equipment, or save a few mil on Intel blades. Last I checked, Apple didn't have any blades (xServer cluster is the closest thing). IBM servers, I am guessing
  • Reply 72 of 122
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member
    Apple will be announcing several things in NAB. And Most of their technology will be just announced but will be deliver later.

Let¡¯ see what will happen. \

1) Capture

2) Process

3) Delivery

4) Internet

Let¡¯s evaluate the first part first.

Capture:

The most used Technology use by Video professional now a day is Firewire from APPLE. Since Firewire became standard digital connection for DV camcorder. But prosumer user mostly used it. Most of Professional Video people used BETACAM, DigiBETA from SONY. Since DTV became the future of Video, The DVCAM, DVCPRO began to use as Professional Video system. The professional system for DTV uses SDI as standard connection. It is serial cable system with capability of sending uncompressed standard Definition video plus four channel of audio in single BNC cable. The use of Firewire was very limited. Same for HDTV system. HDTV system use HD-SDI as the standard connection. HD-SDI carry uncompressed High Definition video with 8 channel of audio. For compressed video, each company have it¡¯s own set of SDI. It is SDTI connection but it does not work with other company¡¯s SDTI.

To use this system with SDI or SDTI, you need very expensive broadcasting Equipment.

Now APPLE will change that. 8)

Apple has been working with PANASONIC to make Firewire a Professional Connection.

http://www.panasonic.com/pbds/subcat..._03/03_20.html

==================================

¡°The availability of the IEEE-1394 interface card is an extremely important milestone in the development of low-cost, high-performance video production solutions, and makes DVCPRO50 an ideal replacement for the widely-adopted BetaCam SP¢â format,¡± said Stuart English, Vice President, Marketing, Panasonic Broadcast & Television Systems Co. ¡°With an image quality subjectively equivalent to Digital Betacam¢â(*), and the availability of the multi-format 60i/30p/24p switch able AJ-SDX900 camcorder, we expect that DVCPRO50 will become the dominant format for the video production industry as it migrates from analog to digital acquisition.¡±

======================================

What this mean is that New PowerMac G4 with Firewire800 will be able to capture Broadcasting quality video from Pro VTR without any extra hardware.

Such as AJ-SD755 DVCPRO VTR & AJ-SD930, 955A DVCPRO50 VTR.

http://www.panasonic.com/pbds/subcat..._03/03_15.html

http://www.panasonic.com/pbds/subcat..._03/03_16.html

http://www.panasonic.com/pbds/subcat..._aj-sd930.html

http://www.panasonic.com/pbds/subcat...aj-sd955a.html

And this AJ-HD1700 DVCPRO HD VTR will have optional Firewire card in the future.

http://www.panasonic.com/pbds/subcat..._03/03_14.html

The problem is that you need QuickTime codec to support this captured video.

Currently QuickTime6 already supports DVCPRO. The first change of QuickTime, which will be announced in this NAB, will support DVCPRO50.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...08190600.shtml

The DVCPRO100, which is codec for DVCPRO HD EX, will have to wait. The reason is that current PowerMac G4 cannot handle DVCPRO100 in real-time.

This will change many area of Broadcasting and Professional Video market.

However this one will bring problems. First the price of the VTR is too expensive.

AJ-SD755 is $12,000, AJ-SD930 is $15,000, and AJ-SD955A is $20,00. And Firewire option for all of these products is $1,500.

It is lower than other Pro VTR as BetaCam or DigiBETA, but it is still too expensive.

Since you need to watch the video from Firewire to edit on Broadcasting TV monitor, you need to have this VTR every time you do editing.

In DV or DVCAM, we had very low cost option to do this without VTR or CAMCODER. Or low cost DV camcorder, less than $1,000, was good for this.

What Apple can do to solve this problem?

Let¡¯s look at the one of the rumor.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...30173234.shtml

Avid and Apple Project?

Warning: This is a Page 2 Rumor, which means it was considered to be less reliable.

Looprumors claims Apple and Avid are working together:

Sources have confirmed that Apple is working closely with Avid to help develop a new product that is highly under wraps code-named the "Bob Box." A late spring release is set.

=====================================

And this is more close to what it might be.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...threadid=18790

====================================

BOB == "Break Out Box" ???

Perhaps Avid is asking Apple for a custom Power Mac case to allow for the Avid board set and all of the video connections? Curently Avid uses an external box for all of the connections to the Meridian hardware. This is true for both Mac and PC based systems.

Avid at one time made their own system called an AMP. (Avid Media Processor) It was a large metal box that contained a PM 8100 motherboard, NuBus extension and had all of the connections directly on the back of the box. I used to use one of these things. The station I worked for liked it over previous Avid systems because they saw it as a big rackmounted piece of broadcast gear rather than a personal computer with a bunch of wires coming out of it. The AMP was just the same personal computer with all of the guts hidden.

I think this is the one APPLE is working on, except the other company is NOT AVID.

So I expect APPLE to announce DVCPRO50 support in New Quicktime 7 and New Firewire Break Out Box (BOB), which support DV, DVCPRO, DVCAM, and DVCPRO50.

( Now it does fit in Future Hardware ! )

It will have Composite, Component, S-video, And SDI connector with multi channel Audio connector, like balanced XLR, Digital Audio connector for OUTPUT and INPUT.

But this is only for big boy with big money! What this will do small fish like us?

Yes. There is something other for small fish. And this will be big too.

More about this later.

This is for today.

I will talk later.

• Reply 73 of 122
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    good finds kormac!

this year is shaping up to be very interesting!
  • Reply 74 of 122
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    As usual most of your predictions about Apple hardware are out to lunch, but Apple will go after the Professional FILM market as soon as the cameras are widely available. Right now, even the pro film market relies on scanned film, but the cameras to make that method obsolete are just now appearing. Something like a Viper, from Thompson, can't even record to tape as there's nothing that will accept its fully uncompressed 4:4:4 color space and very high resolutions (nearly 3 Gbps data rates!!!) Right now Thompson has too make use of 2 HD SDI links to move that data directly to an HDD array, over 350MB which is well beyong the ability of Firewire 800 and even FW1600. Actually, I was very surprised that they went for FW800 and didn't skip directly to FW1600, two independent FW1600 links could handle just about anything, one alone could handle native (raw) HDTV (though not something as demanding as a Viper). FW800 isn't really here or there in terms of the pro market, though I suppose it's still an improvement for VIDEO. The reason I mention this is that Apple has a whole suite dedicated to making FCP into a 24P editing system, and even if we're talking HDTV, it's the film guys who need that, not video.

So if Apple had a hardware replacement for the Digital "Film" camera plus telecine, something taht standardized all the links and let storage and manipulation happen on the same box, well that would be a very good thing!

So, they have the monitors, 23" ACD.

they have the upcoming 64 bit system

they have the raid storage solution

they have the software,

they need the plug, and they need the industry to use it!

Come on Apple, FW1600+ NOW!
  • Reply 75 of 122
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Macwhispers reported a new combined Firewire and USB cable. Perfect for a Firewire BOB?
  • Reply 76 of 122
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

As for the WWDC, I can see the 970 arriving, but not sure about the rest.

Shipping sometime in the autumn? I can wait...
  • Reply 77 of 122
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Ahh, let's just say NAB should be interesting.
  • Reply 78 of 122
    I must say, I am hoping for something at NAB, and have been hoping for a tablet for damn near 4 years. But I, recently sadly disappointed by my iPod disaster (and Steve's stubborn refusal to offer an update), will be waiting a bit on the old tablet. I am wondering if the work going into the tablet (if it does in fact exist --an open question) can be relevant to the iPod, or if they are simply such disparate technologies that that is a non-starter.

Hope springs eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 79 of 122
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Actually Matsu I have to take issue with you here...kormac's 'suggestions' make absolute 100percent on-the-button sense. This isn't about film. Yes, Apple are swimming in that pool but a far, far larger market is standard pro-video. Sony had a total lock for many years with hiband Umatic and then Betacam SP. Since then they have royally screwed up by replacing SP with at least four different and incompatible digital formats. The other Japanese companies saw this is an opportunity to break Sony's near monopoly and have achieved significant wins; particularly Panasonic with DVCPro and Pro50. Its clear that Steve hates the whole Japanese 'kiretsu' (spelling?) system of market fixing and that he has found an ally against Sony in Panasonic/JVC.

DV has of course been a phenomenal success and one of the reasons is that the codec was licencible (?) by third parties. It is not however a pro format for greenscreen, computer graphics etc. Its clear that Apple have been negotiating with Panasonic for some time for the DVCPro50 codec and this is the holy grail. It provides a quality comparable to DigiBeta and it is SO Apple to lower the cost of entry to once over-priced pro standards.

I have a Betacam SP deck that is still going strong but it is simply not considered a suitable format for top quality broadcast work any more. Unfortunately it is not possible for somebody like me to justify the expense of a DigiBeta deck. There are thousands and thousands of individuals and small businesses ln this situation across the world and if Apple can pull this off it would be major coup. To say Sony would be pissed is an understatement of galactic proportions.
  • Reply 80 of 122
    I can confidently say that this is confirmed...

Software releases at NAB by Apple:

Shake 3

DVD Studio Pro 2

Final Cut 4

I haven't heard what the features are in the new versions of DVD Studio Pro or Final Cut are, but Shake 3 will incorporate new film grain tools (from Apples acquisition of Silicon Grail) and new warping and morphing tools among other things.

It would be cool to see new hardware, but I have no evidence of this yet.

HP