New and classic Charlie Brown & Snoopy series to exclusively stream on Apple TV+

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Everything from brand-new animated "Peanuts" specials to the famous "A Charlie Brown Christmas" will stream exclusively on Apple TV+.

Following its Daytime Emmy-winning success with "Peanuts in Space: Secrets of Apollo 10," and its series "Snoopy in Space," Apple TV has signed a new deal to bring more Charlie Brown to Apple TV+. Working with production companies including WildBrain and Peanuts Worldwide, Apple TV+ is to see a mix of new shows and classic specials.

Starting on October 19, those classics include "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown." This Halloween show from 1966 will be stream for free from October 30 to November 1. Similarly, the 1973 "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" will be on Apple TV+l, and freely stream from November 25 to November 27.

Apple has not said whether the most famous "A Charlie Brown Christmas" will be made free to watch over the holidays. However, it has announced that the show will be streamed as an Apple TV+ exclusive on December 4.

This is specifically a streaming exclusive, so it's not clear yet whether the show will continue to air on ABC as it traditionally does.

Alongside the classic series, the brand-new shows will include the previously-announced "The Snoopy Show." This is due to launch on February 5, 2021, and Apple has also announced a second season of "Snoopy in Space."

WildBrain, along with Imagine Documentaries, is also producing a new "Peanuts" 70th anniversary documentary for the streaming service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Charlie Brown specials traditionally ran on CBS until after the death of Charles Schultz. Ask any Baby Boomer or Gen Xer.

It was moved to ABC after Disney gained control of the distribution.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    davgreg said:
    Charlie Brown specials traditionally ran on CBS until after the death of Charles Schultz. Ask any Baby Boomer or Gen Xer.

They did, that's for sure.

However, ABC has been airing them since 2001.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    davgreg said:

I’ve been checking local ABC listings and there isn’t a mention of “ It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.” being aired this month. Has the tradition ended on ABC? 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    so is this the first time Apple  breaks the original content rule?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Beats said:
    so is this the first time Apple  breaks the original content rule?
    No. Fraggle Rock (1983 - 1987) is the first library content on Apple TV+. It started streaming on May 26, 2020. Similar to Peanuts, Apple TV+ has ordered a Fraggle Rock series reboot after the success of the summer miniseries. 
  • Reply 6 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    davgreg said:

I’ve been checking local ABC listings and there isn’t a mention of “ It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.” being aired this month. Has the tradition ended on ABC? 
     yes. I read elsewhere that it’s only being shown on AppleTV+ now. Its free, and it’s on for 3 days, but no network airing this year (and probably for now on). 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I don't know about everyone else, but It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown is already showing on my Apple TV+ app. I watched it last night!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 49member
    I like how the article complains that it won’t be on TV one day, at one time, with commercials and then if you missed it or didn’t DVR it, you’re SOL when it will be streaming for subscribers for several weeks (or longer? I mean, maybe some people want to watch it for Groundhog Day?) and three days for anyone else. 

EDIT: whew. That was hard to find. 
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 9 of 9
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 49member
    yensid98 said:
    I don't know about everyone else, but It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown is already showing on my Apple TV+ app. I watched it last night!
    Great handle, my friend.