Here's how Apple is shipping EarPods with iPhone 12 orders in France

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is continuing to ship EarPods with its iPhone 12 and other models in France. Here's how the company is doing it.

Credit: TheiCollection
Credit: TheiCollection

As part of its environmental efforts, Apple stopped shipping EarPods and power adapters with new phone orders worldwide. The only exception is France, where local regulations appear to require the bundling of EarPods with cellular devices.

New iPhone boxes without accessories are thinner than past packaging, however. But instead of shipping larger boxes in a single country, Apple appears to be including actual iPhone boxes within a larger box that includes the EarPods, according to YouTube channel TheiCollection.

It's a fairly elegant solution, since iPhone devices are produced and packaged en masse, which would make it difficult and inefficient to ship different boxes within an individual country. The specific law in France that requires bundled headphones relates to a regulation aimed at limiting exposure to radio-electrical emissions.

Along with the new iPhone 12 models, Apple also stopped shipping audio and charging accessories with any iPhone that it currently sells itself -- including the iPhone SE, iPhone 11, and iPhone XR.

Apple's iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro are currently shipping in France and other countries across the globe. The iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 mini models, however, will become available for preorder on Nov. 6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Nous devons être différents parce que nous les Français sommes spéciaux.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    MacPro said:
    Nous devons être différents parce que nous les Français sommes spéciaux.
    C’est vrai. Vous êtes spéciaux. 
    Vive la France et la différence!

😎🇮🇪☘️ 
    edited October 2020 tokyojimu
  • Reply 3 of 15
    France gets some things VERY right. 

Not to make light of it, but there was an even more major one during the past week, where the world could learn from the courage of the country's polity and politicians.
    ralphie
  • Reply 4 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Oui, les Français sont vraiment differentes! 🤔
  • Reply 5 of 15
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

Not to make light of it, but there was an even more major one during the past week, where the world could learn from the courage of the country's polity and politicians.
    Is unnecessarily including headphones in France, to mitigate a completely unproven medical issue apparently caused by phones included in getting "some things VERY right"?  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    So the "smaller box" reason was BS?!!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Beats said:
    Not for the entire rest of the planet. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    JFC_PA said:
    Beats said:

I remember Lisa saying "And it allows us to make a smaller box" yet France has the smaller box WITH the accessories anyway!
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 9 of 15
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Beats said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Beats said:

I remember Lisa saying "And it allows us to make a smaller box" yet France has the smaller box WITH the accessories anyway!
    They only have headphones, not a PSU too. The PSU and the headphones also have environmental impact.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    elijahg said:

Is unnecessarily including headphones in France, to mitigate a completely unproven medical issue apparently caused by phones included in getting "some things VERY right"?  
    Yes. 

You did forget to add to that - accidentally, I am sure - the bogus environmental issue.
  • Reply 11 of 15

elijahg said:
    Beats said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Beats said:

They only have headphones, not a PSU too. The PSU and the headphones also have environmental impact.
    Did Apple quantify this impact? I might have missed it, so I'd love to see that, if you know. 
  • Reply 12 of 15
    A second box? lol
    It seems like Apple is secretly hoping that people in France will eventually bother that this is actually counteract Apple’s claim to support environmental protection.
    And therefore, have people to demand the box as is in the US. Just an assumption. It really looks like a defiant reaction.
    elijahg
  • Reply 13 of 15
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    Beats said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Beats said:

What? They have the smaller box plus the headphones IN A LARGER BOX. 
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    ‘instead of shipping larger boxes in a single country’ they’re shipping another larger box in a single country.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Beats said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Beats said:

Nope - in France only, the normal, new smaller iPhone box, is shipped inside a slightly larger box, and the headphones are in the bottom of the larger box, with the smaller iPhone box on top.  Sometimes reading comprehension is hard...
    watto_cobra