How to setup and use Intercom on iPhone, Apple Watch, and HomePod

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Update: reset both my HPs (again) and my phone (again), and intercom between HPs works. No sign of it on iOS 14.1 though. 

danielito said:
    Happy_Noodle_Boy said:
    elijahg said:
    I’m getting really pissed off with the HomeKit/HomePod stuff. Nothing ever seems to work for me. I’ve updated to 14.1 on everything and I never got a bubble asking to enable intercom on my iPhone X, but it’s automatically on on both my HomePods. There is nowhere in the home app to turn it on for my phone, and seemingly nowhere in phone settings either. Trying to intercom from my phone says I can only intercom from one HomePod to another, and trying to intercom from a HomePod says “go ahead...” I speak,  then the HP makes the text message sent sound and nothing else happens.
    I have no idea what’s going on with Apple’s software as of late but whoever’s heading up the HomePod’s software division really needs to be replaced. At least for me, it’s a disaster and unless things drastically improve I wouldn’t dream of getting any more HomePods or HomeKit devices. I have actually created (both hardware and software) my own smart home system and it’s 100% reliable; and I’m just me, not a $2tn company. 
    I'm getting the same thing you are. Nothing on the phone and my HP pretends it's going to intercom and then nada. 
    Same.
    Just spent some time with Apple support and they said they don't have anything on their phone or HomePod either, maybe because – like me – they only have one HP.
    So possible that:
    - HP14.1 brings support to HP only, allowing to use between multiple HPs
    - iOS14.2 will bring the functionality to iPhone as well (note the video above is iOS 14.2 beta)
    EDIT:
    If you tell Siri on iPhone to "tell everyone to..." it will reply that "you can only intercom from one HomePod to another." So seems like iOS 14.1 does not support intercom; need to wait for iOS 14.2 for full duplex between iPhones/iPads and HomePods.

You might be right, though we can verify this as it is working on AI’s phone above, I’m sure @"Mike Wuerthele" would be able to verify which it’s running. 

No mention of it on the release notes here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211808
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 22 of 34
    elijahg said:
    I’m getting really pissed off with the HomeKit/HomePod stuff. Nothing ever seems to work for me. I’ve updated to 14.1 on everything and I never got a bubble asking to enable intercom on my iPhone X, but it’s automatically on on both my HomePods. There is nowhere in the home app to turn it on for my phone, and seemingly nowhere in phone settings either. Trying to intercom from my phone says I can only intercom from one HomePod to another, and trying to intercom from a HomePod says “go ahead...” I speak,  then the HP makes the text message sent sound and nothing else happens.

I have no idea what’s going on with Apple’s software as of late but whoever’s heading up the HomePod’s software division really needs to be replaced. At least for me, it’s a disaster and unless things drastically improve I wouldn’t dream of getting any more HomePods or HomeKit devices. I have actually created (both hardware and software) my own smart home system and it’s 100% reliable; and I’m just me, not a $2tn company. 
    I'm getting the same thing you are. Nothing on the phone and my HP pretends it's going to intercom and then nada. 
    My HomePods are talking to each other through intercom, but my iPhone won't set it up and i get the same "only HomePods can intercom to one another" message via siri.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    The Home app on AI’s phone looks like it’s not on 14.1 as 14.1 has a “discover” tab. So looks like it’s a 14.2 feature.

Pretty weird that they announced this for HPs and iOS at a sizeable event, pushed it to HPs with 14.1, but then somehow the same iOS version apparently doesn’t have it. 
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 24 of 34
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    elijahg said:
    The Home app on AI’s phone looks like it’s not on 14.1 as 14.1 has a “discover” tab. So looks like it’s a 14.2 feature.

Pretty weird that they announced this for HPs and iOS at a sizeable event, pushed it to HPs with 14.1, but then somehow the same iOS version apparently doesn’t have it. 
    I’m thinking that there’s still more functionality to come in another (14.2?) HomePod update. I have iOS 14.2 beta on my iPhone, the tvOS 14.2 beta on my TV 4K as well, but the following features still appear to be absent:

- Intercom send/receive on watchOS, at least with 7.0.2.  I’m not running a watchOS beta, is anyone getting a UI for Intercom on the latest watchOS beta?
    - Intercom send/receive on iPad OS 14.1. Like with my Watch I’m not running a beta, but may try it out now to see if it works with 14.2 public beta, as it does on iPhone with 14.2 beta)
    - Dolby 5.1/7.1/Atmos simulated surround to original HomePods with Apple TV 4K (and not mentioned in HomePod OS 14.1 release notes)
    - setting HomePods as default speakers on Apple TV (and not mentioned in HomePod OS 14.1 release notes)

Especially since the last 2 aren’t mentioned in the HomePod release notes and don’t seem to be present even with my iPhone and TV 4K on the 14.2 betas, It seems there’s still more to come. 
  • Reply 25 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Will it work just between phones, or do you HAVE to have a HomePod on the network for it to function?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    Hmmm...the report states require iOS 14.1 but I cannot seem to get it on any iPhone/iPad running on iOS/iPadOS 14.1 at all, despite HomePod has been updated to 14.1. However, on the few devices running iOS/iPadOS 14.2 PB3, Intercom is working fine and there are settings under Intercom in the Home app on these devices.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    danielito said:
    elijahg said:

Same.
    Just spent some time with Apple support and they said they don't have anything on their phone or HomePod either, maybe because – like me – they only have one HP.
    So possible that:
    - HP14.1 brings support to HP only, allowing to use between multiple HPs
    - iOS14.2 will bring the functionality to iPhone as well (note the video above is iOS 14.2 beta)

EDIT:
    If you tell Siri on iPhone to "tell everyone to..." it will reply that "you can only intercom from one HomePod to another." So seems like iOS 14.1 does not support intercom; need to wait for iOS 14.2 for full duplex between iPhones/iPads and HomePods.
    I too think that HomePod 14.1 includes Intercom fundamental function for the home but it takes iOS/iPadOS 14.2 to be able to enable in Home app and for any intercom announcement to be receive. That is the finding based on tests done with mix of devices running mix of iOS/iPadOS 14.1 (Official Release) and 14.2 PBx.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 28 of 34

pjohnt said:
    I never got a pop-up in my Home app, and I don't see anywhere in the app where I can change any intercom settings.  However, it does work between HomePods in my house.
    iPhones and iPads require iOS/iPadOS 14.2 to work...
  • Reply 29 of 34
    mac'em x said:
    "How to setup and use . . . "

The verb is "set up". No exceptions.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/setup

2a and b. 6a.

This conversation has concluded.
    You linked to/quoted the definition of "setup" the noun. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see the verb is "set up."
    gatorguy
  • Reply 30 of 34
    The AppleInsider article states that iOS 14.1 is required, yet their YouTube video says 14.2. They should make their information consistent and accurate.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    After attempting to use this for a day, it seems pretty disappointing to say the least. No surprise really since every other HP feature except playing music has been unreliable and inconsistent for me. In the rare cases it does work, it’s such a hassle for the other person to reply (since it’s one-way only for some reason) it’s better just to phone them up. 

In the last hour, when saying “intercom to kitchen” I’ve had the HP get confused and say “who should I send a text message to”,
    “oops something’s wrong”,
    simply not reply and have the light go out,
    “did you want me to do something in your <home name> home?” To which I reply yes, and it says “I didn’t catch that, try again” no matter what I say, until I cancel and try again. If it wasn’t a £350 device I’d throw it under a bus. 
  • Reply 32 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    I've always perceived the Home app to be primarily a device management portal. Putting access to the intercom functionality inside a device management tool seems rather odd. It would seem more natural to have a dedicated app, like iMessage and FaceTime, for this sort of interaction, especially if it extends off premise to CarPlay. Not a big deal as long as Siri based interactions work as expected so all communication functionality has a common access point. Looking forward to seeing a functional comparison between Apple's Intercom features and Amazon's "Drop In," "Call," and "Announce" features. 
  • Reply 33 of 34
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Definitely no setting for Intercom in the Home app yet. When I ask HomePod to do something, it says Intercom is turned off in the Home app.