Apple seemingly discontinues Apple TV 'Remote' app

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    In the remote app you can change to controller layout to play games downloaded to the Apple TV. Unless I am missing something you can’t do this in the control center remote. I’m not sure what other apps can mimic a controller to play games on Apple TV. I think this is important because anyone new to iPhone won’t/might not be able to use their iPhone as a controller. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    zcherries said:
    Whenever I try to control my older generation Apple TV through Control Center, it can't find it. But the Remote app allows me to control it. Guess this is their subtle way of saying I need to shell out more money to upgrade. I've been waiting for years for a newer version to upgrade to though. 
    Yep, this only impacts people will older ATVs like the ATV3. Newer versions work fine from the control centre anyway, and you can use the full keyboard on your iPhone. The control centre doesn’t control older models of ATV. 

That said, I would have thought anyone still with an ATV3 would already have installed the app many years ago.

the ATV4K  is currently on sale in a few Oz stores (eg JB HiFi) for AUD$149 Inc GST, about USD$95 before tax. A seriously good price at which point people shouldn’t consider any other set top box for the price. Maybe they are clearing stock for an announcement?
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    ivanh said:
    The only reason I bought APPLE TV was the Remote app ion which I could have a virtual keyboard to ease searching for everything like those from Apple TV+. Thanks to AppleInsider, I’m not going to replace the next APPLE TV box. It’s no fun to use the physical Apple TV remote to search / select alphabets on a line. Siri is unlikely a suitable substitute or the app. 
    Are you for real? The only reason you bought an Apple TV was for the Remote app? How does that even make sense?

*Of course* you can still use the iPhone virtual keyboard for Apple TV data entry. 
    fastasleepkingofsomewherehotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31

mike1 said:
    For most things, I use the TV's remote control. I do use the remote app occasionally. The only thing I don't like about using Control Center remote is that it disappears if you do something else. The app doesn't remain open. So you have to go to Control Center to open it again. Not a big deal, though.
    Many times the “VCR controls” for controlling the Apple TV will remain on the lock screen. Not always tho so i’m not sure what the rule is. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31

MacPro said:
    Where is the freakin' MUTE button Apple?
    "Hey Siri... STOP"  Mutes our Apple TV,  we are using HomePods as the sound source. 
    Yeah since it’s primarily a video on demand streamer device, pausing is the effective way to mute. Must be a generational thing, I have zero desire to mute, instead always pausing. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 26 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Maybe I’m missing something? How does Control Center do everything that iTunes remote did? Control Center is literally just play/pause volume, right? I use remote weekly; unless there are more features on newer phones or something I will miss this app. But I guess since I already have it it will continue to work for the foreseeable future.
    applguy
  • Reply 27 of 31
    cornchip said:
    Maybe I’m missing something? How does Control Center do everything that iTunes remote did? Control Center is literally just play/pause volume, right? I use remote weekly; unless there are more features on newer phones or something I will miss this app. But I guess since I already have it it will continue to work for the foreseeable future.
    The only thing you are missing is reading the article to notice it is about the ATV Remote App which is different than iTunes Remote App. 

Control Center is NOT literally play/pause volume.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 31
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    the ATV4K  is currently on sale in a few Oz stores (eg JB HiFi) for AUD$149 Inc GST, about USD$95 before tax. A seriously good price at which point people shouldn’t consider any other set top box for the price. Maybe they are clearing stock for an announcement?

An update, apparently a pricing error. JB initially cancelled everyone’s order, then changed their minds and have honoured the deal. Awesome!
    Bombdoewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 31
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Ladue70 said:
    Function 101 button remote is far superior.  The easy 15 second replay is worth the cost of admission!  I rarely used the voice option, but the original Apple remote can still be used if needed.
    Yup.  The only reason I'm waiting for an updated Apple TV before I add another one is that remote.  Apple's remotes are a joke and usability disaster.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Ladue70 said:
    Function 101 button remote is far superior.  The easy 15 second replay is worth the cost of admission!  I rarely used the voice option, but the original Apple remote can still be used if needed.
    It's a nicer remote... (the buttons)... but it is IR only, and doesn't do Siri.
    None of my Apple TV's are sitting out in the open for line-of-sight to work with an IR remote. The RF functionality of the Apple remote is worth the other hassles. (For me.)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 31
    ivanh said:
    The only reason I bought APPLE TV was the Remote app ion which I could have a virtual keyboard to ease searching for everything like those from Apple TV+. Thanks to AppleInsider, I’m not going to replace the next APPLE TV box. It’s no fun to use the physical Apple TV remote to search / select alphabets on a line. Siri is unlikely a suitable substitute or the app. 
    Siri works great for us - no need for an app or the app keyboard.  It's all my wife & I use.

However, I wasn't aware of the "currently playing" details in the app.  I'll have to check that out (I have the app - just haven't used it much).  That's a sore spot with me, for a lot of video apps (Hulu, YouTube, etc.) - they have no action to see what is *currently* playing, without getting out of the video, back to a guide/listing.
    watto_cobra