Apple TV+ releases trailer for 'Servant' second season slated for 2021

Posted:
in General Discussion
Season two of the "insidiously creepy" Apple TV+ series "Servant" will arrive early in 2021, with the trailer debuting Thursday.

Servant sees second season trailer land on youtube

The series, which AppleInsider praised for its mysterious, haunting motif, will see a second season land on Apple TV+ on January 15.

The trailer features quotes from viewers praising the series, including tweets from both Stephen King and Guillermo del Toro.

SERVANT, on Apple+: Extremely creepy and totally involving. Two episodes and I'm hooked.

-- Stephen King (@StephenKing)

Directed by Academy Award nominee M. Night Shyamalan, "Servant" follows a Philadelphia couple in mourning after a tragedy leads to a troubled marriage and "opens the door for a mysterious force to enter their home."

Tony Basgallop, a British Academy of Film and Television Arts nominated executive producer and writer, created the series.

"Servant" joins "Dickinson" in gaining a second season, which is set to debut a week prior on January 8, 2021.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    One of the things I like about streaming services, apart from the binge ability, is that stories tend to follow a planned arc. The story is usually complete at the end of a series.
    You don’t get shows that get series after series until the writers are so out of ideas you get bored and stop watching. The phrase is “jumping the shark” based on how the seventies show “Happy Days” was flogged to death. Look at the Big Bang Theory. Nobody really cared after series seven or so. It happens in movies too. See Highlander and its terrible sequels as an example. Or embarrassing attempts to reimagine much loved classics, eg Ghostbusters.
    Anyway, my point is this type of show is something that should be a stand alone. Series two will inevitably be derivative, a lesser story.  
    why can’t  Apple do something new and original as it fills out its rather meagre catalogue. At this point they should aim as broad a variety as possible.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 2 of 4
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    entropys said:
    Series two will inevitably be derivative, a lesser story.  
    why can’t  Apple do something new and original as it fills out its rather meagre catalogue. At this point they should aim as broad a variety as possible.
    You're acting like it's an either-proposition -- either Apple does a season 2, or they do something new. It isn't, and Apple will do both. But if the Servant showrunners believe they have more story to tell, who am I to say it's going to suck? S1 was enjoyable, I have no reason to believe S2 won't be either. Two 10-episode seasons is hardly the stuff of network TV burnout, where 20+ episodes *per season* was common (and still is for some shows -- NCIS:NO does 24 eps per).
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 3 of 4
    is it 2021 already? can’t wait for this. one of the best shows i’ve seen on tv+
  • Reply 4 of 4
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    entropys said:
    Series two will inevitably be derivative, a lesser story.  
    You're acting like it's an either-proposition -- either Apple does a season 2, or they do something new. It isn't, and Apple will do both. But if the Servant showrunners believe they have more story to tell, who am I to say it's going to suck? S1 was enjoyable, I have no reason to believe S2 won't be either. Two 10-episode seasons is hardly the stuff of network TV burnout, where 20+ episodes *per season* was common (and still is for some shows -- NCIS:NO does 24 eps per).
    Agree it doesn’t have to be either or, definitely. However, it does take at least some focus and resources (producers, actors, directors, crew) away from original content. Maybe this isn’t a further continuation of the same story, but a similar theme. That would be good.
    i admit I am more concerned that the conceit of Dickinson will quickly get tired with repeated airing.
    edited October 2020