Porsche Taycan car gains podcasts and Apple Music time-synced lyrics

Posted:
in General Discussion
Porsche's electric Taycan continues its integration of Apple Music with the addition of time-synced lyrics, as well as podcasts.

Porsche Taycan
Porsche Taycan

While not implementing regular CarPlay per se, the electric Porsche Taycan is adding to its previously announced support for Apple Music without needing an iPhone connected. Now the car will include Apple's time-synced lyrics alongside the audio.

It's perhaps crucial to know that the Porsche Taycan implements Apple Music within its dashboard -- and that Apple Music lyrics will only be displayed facing the car's passenger.

"The new Apple Music and Apple Podcast offerings expand the emotional driving experience with the Taycan with a seamlessly integrated digital feature for music lovers," said Detlev von Platen, Member of the Executive Board for Sales and Marketing at Porsche AG in a statement. "There is more to come."

"[With] Apple Music, passengers can easily sing along to their favorite songs with Time-Synced Lyrics," said Oliver Schusser, Vice President of Apple Music, Beats and International Content. "A great podcast can make any drive more enjoyable. With Apple Podcasts, drivers can effortlessly catch up on the latest news, hear incredible stories and enjoy the company of their favorite hosts."

The Porsche Taycan will display podcasts and Apple Music lyrics
The Porsche Taycan will display podcasts and Apple Music lyrics

New Taycan buyers will get Apple Music lyrics and Apple Podcasts immediately. Existing owners will have to wait until January for the feature to be rolled out.

The Porsche Taycan is the first car to integrate Apple Music into its systems. Drivers do not need to connect an iPhone, even wirelessly, in order to use the service.

As well as removing the need for CarPlay, Porsche is providing three years of Apple Music as part of the car's purchase price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
     As well as removing the need for CarPlay, Porsche is providing three years of Apple Music as part of the car's purchase price.”

Excuse moi. CarPlay does a lot more. How does a music player replace it?

It would be a deal breaker for me. 

“Yes I like the exhaust note, I’ll take it with CarPlay.”

MplsPwg45678watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Just an FYI.  It would probably help to actually show the screen where the lyrics and podcasts will be viewed.  As noted in the article, it's the passenger-side screen.  Unfortunately, the photo chosen for the article doesn't actually display the passenger side screen. It just shows the center stack.  Passenger-side screen pictured below.
    Porsche Taycan Interior Revealed Even Gives Passenger A Screen

dewme
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Lyrics, really? Let’s just put another distracting element out there for drivers. 
    wg45678razorpit
  • Reply 4 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Do I have to pay for cellular service for my car as well?  No thanks, CarPlay please.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    paraeeker said:
    “ As well as removing the need for CarPlay, Porsche is providing three years of Apple Music as part of the car's purchase price.”

Excuse moi. CarPlay does a lot more. How does a music player replace it?

It would be a deal breaker for me. 

“Yes I like the exhaust note, I’ll take it with CarPlay.”

Being an EV, the only 'exhaust note' a Taycan produces would be piped in. It would be funny if Apple Music played the boot chime when you launch the Taycan.   
    wg45678tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Lyrics while the car is in motion? Certainly hope not.
    wg45678razorpit
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Lyrics, eh? Oh boy, i can finally check the misheard lyrics while bombing down the autobahn. Perhaps that’s why Porsche skipped CarPlay. Apple doesn’t allow such distractions. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    Commenters: RTFA!

"and that Apple Music lyrics will only be displayed facing the car's passenger."
    CloudTalkinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    mknelson said:
    Commenters: RTFA!

"and that Apple Music lyrics will only be displayed facing the car's passenger."
    That’s what I get for skimming. 
    watto_cobra