Scarlett Johansson to star in, produce 'Bride' for Apple TV+ and A24

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple TV+ is partnering with A24 on "Bride," a genre-bending film produced by and starring Scarlett Johansson.

Credit: Ashley Batz/Bustle
Credit: Ashley Batz/Bustle

The plot of the film follows a woman created to be an ideal wife for a brilliant entrepreneur. However, she rejects her creator and is forced to flee into a world that "sees her as a monster," Deadline reported.

While she's on the run, the woman "finds her true identity, her surprising power, and the strength to remake herself as her own creation."

Along with Johansson, Jonathan Lia of These Pictures will produce the film. It will be written by Lauren Schuker Blum and Rebecca Angelo and directed by Sebastin Lelio.

The film will be the latest in the Apple-A24 partnership. Past Apple-A24 films include "On the Rocks," which stars Sofia Coppola and Bill Murray and debuted on Apple TV+ on Friday, and Grace Kaufman-headed "The Sky is Everywhere."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    In most high tech fiction the robot is normally evil and the humans are the good guys (e.g., The Terminator, Alien, The Borg, The Matrix, Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc.) Sounds like this is flipping the evil robot storyline upside down, which is a welcome change. 

The last time I can remember a movie about a "good robot" was "Short Circuit" that I saw in the 1980s. Those were all practical effects, no CGI, and it still stands up today as an impressive actual robot. That was about 40 years ago and it's still very impressive as a robot even today. 

lolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,251member
    In most high tech fiction the robot is normally evil and the humans are the good guys (e.g., The Terminator, Alien, The Borg, The Matrix, Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc.) Sounds like this is flipping the evil robot storyline upside down, which is a welcome change. 

The last time I can remember a movie about a "good robot" was "Short Circuit" that I saw in the 1980s. Those were all practical effects, no CGI, and it still stands up today as an impressive actual robot. That was about 40 years ago and it's still very impressive as a robot even today. 

You might like “Ex-Machina”, from 2014. 
    lolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    22july2013 said:

I remember Short Circuit. I loved it as a kid.

I wouldn't put the replicants from Blade Runner in the same category as the Terminator, or the Agents from The Matrix. While the replicants were killers, they had a lot more depth and had complex emotions like love (Roy and Pris, Leon and Zhora) and the fear of death. 
    beowulfschmidtStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Sounds like she’s doing a riff on Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

I’d rather see the Marvel Black Widow movie.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Seems like you've missed the point of several of these.

Terminator: self aware and defending itself from destruction
    Alien: Ash was following human orders
    Blade Runner: escaping their enslavement and trying to get more than their predetermined short life limited by their creators

etc

This sounds like Westworld, or Ex Machina, which is similar to those above as well.
    beowulfschmidtStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Pretty much every film you mentioned have a sequel where the robot is good.  Not to mention A.I., Wall-E, Big Hero 6, Chappie, The Iron Giant, all the Star Warses, and many others besides.  I think you should check your memory, there's loads of good robot stories.
    CloudTalkinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Sounds like she’s doing a riff on Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

I’d rather see the Marvel Black Widow movie.
    Came here to make the same comment.  I'm not sure what the term "genre bending" is supposed to mean, but this particular genre is over 200 years old. :smile: 

SpamSandwich