Some Mac users being warned that Amazon Music app and HP drivers are malware [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    ewickham said:
    This just happened to me after upgrading to OS 15.7. 

It won't go away, and it is quite frustrating. I realize deleting "com.hp.devicemonitor.plist"(etc) has fixed the problem for some, but are there any unwanted side effects?

Sure, if you delete that file the HP device monitor will no longer execute after a reboot. The printer driver itself might still work.
    edited October 2020 cameliawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    tmbrg70 said:

For Apple users:

Solution from a user:

I've just got rid of it by:

1. Using Finder to go to "Library/LaunchAgents" and moving the most recently added and suspicious looking file to the bin.
    2. Did the same here "Library/LaunchDemons"
    3. And here "~Library/LaunchAgents"
    4. I also went to "Applications" and sorted by most recently added to see if anything suspicious has been added, and removed that.
    5. Then I restarted my Mac and it's fixed!

*****I deleted com.hp.devicemonitor.plist from ~Library/LaunchAgents and (knock on wood) the alert is gone!
    These are uninstallation instructions.  This isn't exactly a fix unless uninstalling the software is a fix.
    It’s the following reinstall that’s the complete fix. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46
    And Mac people say Windows is a train wreck!  :)
  • Reply 24 of 46
    The problem may well be that the security certificate on the HP Drivers have expired last night.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-Utility-fails-with-Code-Signature-Invalid-MacOS-10-15-7/m-p/7824870/highlight/true#M200138

From the comments there, it looks like this would require someone at HP to find the original drivers, possibly recompile, but at least at a minimum rebuild the installer package and re-sign it with a current certificate.  Then everyone will have to install the updated drivers.  I really hope they get someone looking at this!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46
    I stumbled upon this at work today. macOs 10.15.6 client when the user tried to print to an HP printer received two pop-ups. The first was about an HPPostProcessing.bundle and the second Fax.bundle both potentially being harmful to the computer. The print queue showed an error.

I tried the following with no success:
    1. Restart
    2. Delete and re add the printer. The moment I attempted to re add the printer the messages popped up again.
    3. Reset printing system.
    4. Downloaded HP 5.1 printer package from Apple.

So I decided to try using my HP Easy Admin tools. If you're a Mac admin I strongly recommend downloading this. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06164609
    It allows you to search for a printer model and then downloads and created a .pkg installation file for printer driver deployment. It's way better than the stupid HP Easy Start application.  Anyways after downloading this new set of drivers, I installed them and the messages stopped and printing worked.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Hello

Newbie in this forum

Apple pushed an update, but some user are reporting that this Apple’s HP Printer Software 5.1 update did not fix the problem. :'(

Camelia

watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 46
    I'm getting an error message which contains fax.backend, so this makes me wonder if apple just left out their entire printer/fax module whitelist/safelist out of the latest update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    I have also recently encountered this problem on my iMac with the latest version of macOS.
    It occurred surrounding the HP software. HP device monitoring framework and the HP utility what are the first things to start giving me errors. Then I noticed there have been a lot of software injected into my system that I wasn’t comfortable with so I in activated it completely for the time being. 
    Two annoyed to try to reinstall it all right now. Waiting for some answers.
    I noticed the HP software opens a lot of network connections and services to the world. I’m not really afraid of someone coming in and randomly printing and using up my paper but it seems to make an opening to lot of other security holes typically.
    Would love to hear some of the feedback on those.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 46
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    If it’s a code signing issue or an expired or revoked certificate Windows would have the same issue. These sorts of problems are usually an unintended side effect of security features built into the OS to keep you safer. It’s like putting a lock on your door and then losing or damaging the key. It doesn’t matter whether you live in a ranch style house (Mac) or a colonial style house (Windows), if your key no longer works with the door lock it doesn’t matter.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Found the solution to the "Amazon.app" issue.  Delete the installed Amazon app and all installed files.  Don't simply move the app folder from the applications folder to the bin.  You can do this either manually (risky) or using software such as CleanMyMac X.

Download and install the latest version of Amazon Music.app from the Amazon website.  Sign in.  Problem solved.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    dewme said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    If it’s a code signing issue or an expired or revoked certificate Windows would have the same issue. These sorts of problems are usually an unintended side effect of security features built into the OS to keep you safer. It’s like putting a lock on your door and then losing or damaging the key. It doesn’t matter whether you live in a ranch style house (Mac) or a colonial style house (Windows), if your key no longer works with the door lock it doesn’t matter.  
    Agreed, but that logic seems nonexistent to Mac people when Windows has a update issue or what have you, and everyone craps on how bad Windows is, when like you say, the same could happen to Mac.  
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Just happy to see that others are experiencing the same thing - thanks for that.  I've done many of the same things that you all have tried - all seem to temporarily fix the problems - bottom line . . . this sucks!!   I simply moved the f'ing dialogue box off to the right edge and have continued to try to work without having the damn thing pop up on my screen every 5 seconds.   Very annoying.  Thanks again to the AI community here for letting us know this is happening all over the place.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Yes, it is a expired certificate. I got confirmation from an HP guy in the forums.

They claim that reinstalling new drivers and HP software will work, but didn't fix the scan function for me. Printing improved, though (Mojave iMac here).

You can install HP Smart app to scan or use the Embedded Web Server in your printer to scan from the web. Both worked for me.

We will have to wait for a recompiled set of drivers, I am afraid, to restore full functionality.

Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 46
    I had printing to my HP LaserJet 400 MFP fail too, but I didn't get any of those alert dialogs.

On apple discussion forum, I found a link to updated HP drivers with new signed certificates:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg 

I deleted all my HP printers first, then installed the above. It works now!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 46
    I clicked the "Show in finder" folder from the pop up, then deleted the "hp" folder under /Library/Printers/ and deleted the printer from printer settings.

Then I re-added it in the system preferences (NOT downloading any drivers from HP's site). It gave me a pop up that said "Drivers need to be downloaded from Apple", and then it downloaded and installed them successfully - it now prints fine and the issue is resolved. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Hi, first off Thank You to everyone here posting about this issue, I see I wasn’t the only one!

I think I resolved it!

Whatever popped up I simply went to FILE uptop

Clicked FIND

Typed in whatever the HP pop up was telling me it was including the . 

Then clicked on the file once it was found

Sent it to TRASH

Emptied Trash!

Restarted, GONE! No more HP pop ups!

I had to do this for 3 separate HP files

I do have an HP Printer, haven’t used it in years, so

Hope this helps!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Problem is, even if you delete the supposedly problematic files, in my case it's not just HPDeviceMonitoring.framework, on System Preferences/Software update the HP software update lingers, reappears.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 46
    I solved with Hp Easy Start, the program that help to install and download all the necessary for your printer. The problems are in drivers inside MacOS Catalina, that aren’t ever  available and supported.
    I posted the same solution on Friday, but the system had deleted or not had published. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Fixed by downloading HP's August 2020 Mac driver for my Photosmart D7460:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-photosmart-d7400-printer-series/3184565/model/3184566

During the install, the installer said it was removing old files.

At first, it would not work. But I got it working by going to Printer and Scanner preferences and checked the box that says, "Share this printer on the network."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 46
    I deleted the drivers downloaded the printer software and reinstalled it.  During the install, I was warned that the certificate was out of date and I was asked if I trusted the software.  Once I updated the trust setting for the HP printer drivers everything worked again.  The certificates were a year out of date.  There may be an easier way to update the certificates but reinstalling got me to the dialog. 
    watto_cobra