Turing launches first iPhone 12 MagSafe car mount with charging

Posted:
in General Discussion
Turing has launched two new iPhone mounting accessories that take advantage of MagSafe, with one a vehicle mount to securely hold Apple's magnetic charger.

Credit: Turing
Credit: Turing

Both products, announced Monday by accessory brand Turing, use MagSafe as an attachment point for use as a car mount and a tripod adapter. According to the company, they are the first third-party MagSafe accessories to arrive on the market.

The first accessory, the MagSafe Tripod Mount, allows users to magnetically attach an iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro to a standard tripod.

Once attached to a tripod via 1/4-20 screw thread, the mount provides a flat surface that users can pop their iPhones on. Since the attachment is magnetic, it can be tweaked to either portrait or landscape orientation and can be used for photography, videography, or simply making FaceTime calls. It retails for $29.

The MagSafe Charger Mount is essentially a housing for an Apple MagSafe charger that's compatible with a variety of vehicular accessories using an AMPS hole pattern, such as an adhesive car mount or a cup holder mount.

It allows users to use mount an iPhone in a convenient fashion for use in a car while taking advantage of the speedier 15W wireless charging that Apple's MagSafe can deliver. Of course, users will still need to plug their MagSafe chargers into an outlet in their vehicles. The MagSafe Charger Mount retails for $59.

Both accessories are available to order starting Monday, and will ship out to customers on Dec. 15, 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    What a bargain! :-O
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Does that car mount have additional magnets in it? Because it seems clear that Apple MagSafe charger was not intended to provide sufficient magnetism for mounting but rather a gentle magnetism for aligning the charging coil while still being fairly easy to slide the phone off. I assumed any forthcoming car mounts would have to employ stronger magnets for a secure mount. Just relying on the Apple Magsafe charger itself is a no go
    80s_Apple_Guywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    interesting idea, but this one isn't the one for me. Maybe something that sits in the cupholder in the center console and holds the phone with a spooled cable, so I can get in and set my phone down onto it and be on my way. Or even better one that fits the boxy storage area in the front center console where the cig lighter port is, so no visible wires.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 4 of 7
    It would appear from everything I've read that MagSafe is for charging only. Wouldn't it be nice if we could use this for wired CarPlay, but then again there wouldn't really be a need for wireless CarPlay. 
    twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    Uhm, that is gahd awful from reading the vendor's website product description. 1) You put your own MagSafe charger into it, so that's a separate purchase 2) You need to get your own car mount... this product is just an adapter/housing for use with other car mounts 3) The freakin MagSafe cable sticks out from the top... c'mon 4) It's $59... for just this adapter. Don't know about you all, but that's ridiculous... should be more like $5.99 for just the adapter that you put a separately sold MagSafe charging puck into which you then attach to a separately sold car adapter
    D008S4
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Please do a review of zeera 3in1 MagSafe car mount Charger,they look kinda cool
  • Reply 7 of 7
    xmhillx said:
    Uhm, that is gahd awful from reading the vendor's website product description. 1) You put your own MagSafe charger into it, so that's a separate purchase 2) You need to get your own car mount... this product is just an adapter/housing for use with other car mounts 3) The freakin MagSafe cable sticks out from the top... c'mon 4) It's $59... for just this adapter. Don't know about you all, but that's ridiculous... should be more like $5.99 for just the adapter that you put a separately sold MagSafe charging puck into which you then attach to a separately sold car adapter
    that's what I'm saying. $100+ for this whole setup...