What's Your Browser?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
There has been a lot of browser talk on these forums, but I have not seen anything - at least not recently - asking what people are actually using right now.

The question is: What browser do you use as your main browser?

I realize that most of us have more than one browser loaded, but what is the one you use on a day-to-day basis? I hope that I have included all the major ones, but the moderator can feel free to add. I'll also add "Other" and "No main browser" options.

The choices are:

Chimera/Camino

Internet Explorer

Mozilla

Netscape

OmniWeb

Safari

Other

No main browser (different browsers for different purposes)

Include comments about your choice if you like.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    I use safari as my main browser its so great!

But i have i-explorer in a dark corner just in case

Max

-=spelling=-
  • Reply 2 of 21
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I used to use IE. Then I switched to Mozilla. Then I switched to Chimera. Then I switched to Safari. Now, I've switched to Camino. I keep the latest versions of all four of these browsers on my hard drive. You know, for shits and giggles.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Camino for me....I WANT MY TABS APPLE! NOW! YES NOW!....I don't care what steve thinks!

Frank_t
  • Reply 4 of 21
    i got tabs and autofill on mine
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i got tabs and autofill on mine

pirate
  • Reply 6 of 21
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Arrrr, me mateys! We be on a PIRATE safari, ya land lubbers!
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

Arrrr, me mateys! We be on a PIRATE safari, ya land lubbers!

LOL

I use Safari (tabs and all) for almost everything, but I too keep copies of all 4 biggies around, just in case, and also to test web pages that I design ::quietly hopes that people will finally get there frickin acts together with standards compliance so this becomes a non-issue:: (OK, rant over).
  • Reply 8 of 21
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I used to use Camino only, now I've begun to use Safari a bit. If they get Phoenix over to the Mac soon as I read in something today, then I may switch to Phoenix if the UI is decent enough.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Safari rules!!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I must say that I am surprised with the degree to which Safari appears to have so quickly taken over as the dominant browser. After one day of this poll it stands as the choice of about 64% of respondants. Camino is a distant, but respectable second place. I am especially surprised that there is only a smattering of adherents to all the other browsers.

I knew that there was a lot of enthusiasm for Safari after it came out. However, there also seemed to be a lot of comments that it was "good, but not quite ready yet". These results seem to indicate otherwise.

I won't read too much into this, though. Perhaps there are a lot of people who are giving Safari a good long try for now, but may eventually drift back to other browsers. Also, this is a pretty small sample size, and is only within the AI community. The larger Apple community is another story; many have not even adopted OSX yet. (As an aside, I would note that I have not yet seen a single business user of Apple who has switched to OSX. I always take a peek a the screen when I see a iMac or PowerMac being used in a shop or other small business. I won't say that many have not switched - only that I personally have not seen it.)

However, to the degree to which we can read something into the results (so far) of this poll, what does this say for third-party software developers when Mac comes out with its own full-featured software? I know that this was a topic of some speculation when Safari first came out.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I use Camino

Slick and its interface is the nicest
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

I must say that I am surprised with the degree to which Safari appears to have so quickly taken over as the dominant browser. After one day of this poll it stands as the choice of about 64% of respondants. Camino is a distant, but respectable second place. I am especially surprised that there is only a smattering of adherents to all the other browsers.

I knew that there was a lot of enthusiasm for Safari after it came out. However, there also seemed to be a lot of comments that it was "good, but not quite ready yet". These results seem to indicate otherwise.

I won't read too much into this, though. Perhaps there are a lot of people who are giving Safari a good long try for now, but may eventually drift back to other browsers. Also, this is a pretty small sample size, and is only within the AI community. The larger Apple community is another story; many have not even adopted OSX yet. (As an aside, I would note that I have not yet seen a single business user of Apple who has switched to OSX. I always take a peek a the screen when I see a iMac or PowerMac being used in a shop or other small business. I won't say that many have not switched - only that I personally have not seen it.)

However, to the degree to which we can read something into the results (so far) of this poll, what does this say for third-party software developers when Mac comes out with its own full-featured software? I know that this was a topic of some speculation when Safari first came out.

Yeah, most people on AI are informed of which browsers suck and spend enough time on the Internet that it actually matters. Most Mac users aren't adventurous early adopters like AI. Most would never use beta software.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    On my B&W G3 I use Safari nonstop, but I use IE 6 on my Sony Notebook. Safari is clearly the best browser for the Mac, even that it is still in beta, but I have to say that IE is a speed demon on the PC. IE 6 is very fast and I would say that Safari and IE 6 are very close in speed to one another. Especially in Cache loading.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

On my B&W G3 I use Safari nonstop, but I use IE 6 on my Sony Notebook. Safari is clearly the best browser for the Mac, even that it is still in beta, but I have to say that IE is a speed demon on the PC. IE 6 is very fast and I would say that Safari and IE 6 are very close in speed to one another. Especially in Cache loading.

Agree. I use IE 6 on my work-PC all the time, and earlier when I came home to IE on the mac it always seemd sloooow in comparison. With Camino and Safari I don't notice much speed difference anymore.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Agree. I use IE 6 on my work-PC all the time, and earlier when I came home to IE on the mac it always seemd sloooow in comparison. With Camino and Safari I don't notice much speed difference anymore.

I hope that Safari will see a speed bump in version 1.0, not that I am complaining in beta 1.0 v60 now.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    And the winner is...Safari!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    curufinwecurufinwe Posts: 104member
    I use Mozilla; huge number of pro features, all tweakable, and you can use them all on every machine that you have. . pc, mac, linux.

It's also much maligned for speed, but once the bulky app loads, the pages render as fast or faster than in others.

It also just looks better than any other browser once you get into the wonderful world of skinning. . . aqua is great on some level, but at times you just want a slick interface that looks different. . . options are good.

Finally, after stealing the idea of tabs from opera, Mozilla implements them better than just about anyone.

I keep 4 or 5 browsers in my dock for checking out webdesign pieces, but Mozilla is the one that is open all day.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    chilleymacchilleymac Posts: 142member
    I am shocked that so many people on these boards are using Safari as their primary browser. I really want to like Safari but I just think that it's second rate as of right now. For general looking around it is okay but I have to many problems with it. I have used v.60-v.67 and although I like the enabled tabs it is just too problematic and too many pages just will not load. Safari also seems to hang while loading pages, relatively simple pages like AI for instance. I just don't see any competition for Camino right now for speed and stability. I still have Mozilla and IE loaded just in case, and I still have to use them occasionally.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    For me it's Camino (nightly builds) all the way! Camino is lean, fast, and has by far the nicest interface. I use Camino 99+ percent of the time.

Escher
  • Reply 20 of 21
    With the new public Beta count me in to the converted. I am now using Safari as my default browser. v.73 is much better than v.67. Plus I have removed the metalbecause I find it hideous, and removed the stripes with Smooth Stripes. Now it is beautiful, clean and fast as hell.