Samsung considering copying Apple's AC charger removal despite mocking ads

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
Samsung may be shooting itself in the foot with its own marketing effort, as it is believed the South Korean electronics giant may follow Apple in removing the charger from the box for the "Galaxy S21," shortly after mocking the iPhone for the move with the iPhone 12.

The slimmer iPhone 12 box, without the charger or earphones.
The slimmer iPhone 12 box, without the charger or earphones.

As smartphone producers aim to cut down the cost of items included in the box for products, as well as making their offerings better for the environment, Apple took the decision to remove the charger and earphones from the package sold with each iPhone 12. Not that long after that October 13 announcement, Samsung seems to be doing the same thing.

Rumors and Korean media reports seen by SamMobile allege that Samsung is strongly considering ditching both the charger and earphones from its smartphone offerings, starting with the "Galaxy S21" but also being applied to other models. Samsung may not necessarily go as far as Apple though, as some insiders believe only the headphones would be removed, while the charger will remain for now.

Such a move would be beneficial for Samsung in similar ways to Apple. By not including a charger or headphones in the box, it would produce less e-waste which would help the environment, as well as cutting the cost of the product overall.

For this latter point, the removal of the items could help reduce the overall cost of the smartphone to users, or to bolster profits by keeping the price the same while cutting production costs. Customers could also be encouraged to buy headphones separately, such as Samsung's Galaxy Buds, further increasing revenue.

If true, the reports may be embarrassing to Samsung. Following Apple's October 13 event announcing the iPhone 12, Samsung posted to one of its Facebook accounts a simple image of a charger, along with the words "Included with your Galaxy," to poke fun at what it offers that Apple isn't including in the box.

A Samsung Facebook post from October 13
A Samsung Facebook post from October 13

Such mockery isn't new to Samsung. It has a history of not only creating sarcastic marketing campaigns attacking Apple, but it's also followed Apple's footsteps even after such actions.

For example, in August 2019, Samsung was found to have removed advertising from late 2017 where it focused on the lack of wireless charging and a 3.5mm audio port. The removal took place after Samsung introduced the Galaxy Note 10 series, a smartphone line that also lacked a headphone jack.

If Samsung does cut the charger from its next Galaxy smartphone box, it's probable that the latest marketing stunt will be similarly erased from history in short order.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Ha ha. “Samesong”, 2nd verse.
    magman1979Gilliam_Batescornchipwatto_cobraDetnatorchia
  • Reply 2 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Was there any doubt?  Imagine what computing would look like today if there had never been Apple.
    crossladmagman1979lkruppForumPostNotoriousDEVleavingthebiggpscooter63cornchipwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Although Samsung for me is the king of Apple-copycat, their fast copy-reaction this time is absolutely astonishing, they surpassed themselves.
    Samsung is getting better and better in what this company is doing best: copying!
    magman1979cornchipwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 4 of 34
    I generally agree that everyone removing the chargers this way is the right direction for minimising waste.
    But perhaps Samsung might want to copy some of Apple's other environmental (and labour) initiatives as well, and not just the ones that happen to enhance short term profit.
    MacProcrossladmagman1979OferlkruppForumPostleavingthebiggpscooter63watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 5 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I generally agree that everyone removing the chargers this way is the right direction for minimising waste.
    But perhaps Samsung might want to copy some of Apple's other environmental (and labour) initiatives as well, and not just the ones that happen to enhance short term profit.
    Agreed.  They should also contribute a few billion a year to Apple for the  R&D too.
    crossladmagman1979Oferequality72521ForumPostroundaboutnowroakecornchipwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 6 of 34
    @appleinsider: your heading states:
    "Samsung considering copying Apple's AC charger removal despite mocking ads"

I know that this site is very Aple-centric, but you should report correctly:
    - Samsung removed the headphones from the package of Note 20 series first
    - Apple COPIED Samsung and went one step further by removing the charger, too
    - By removing the charger Samsung would just follow itself

One important difference:
    - Samsung offers all Note 20 buyers a free of charge headphone if they wanted it.
    - This means unlike Apple Samsung is not ripping off their customers

Oferctt_zhavon b7Beatsbaluapplguy
  • Reply 7 of 34
    I think Samsung's problem is they think Android users view them the same way iOS users tend to view Apple.  They don't.  Generally speaking, Apple's users tend to accept Apple's marketing at face value; like the environmental angle they promoted with charging brick removal.   Apple says "for the environment", the crowd replies "for the environment".  

Samsung is going to inevitably make the same "for the environment" claim.  The Android crowd is going to rightfully reply "Bish please, you did it to cut cost and improve profit... and cuz Apple did it."  Samsung is going to quickly realize they're gonna have to lower their prices.  'Droiders ain't gonna fall for the marketing.  Apple can offer less for more.  Samsung can't.

Ironically, the environmental claim rings more truly (that ain't the reason for either side; it's profit) on the Samsung side because there are actually a crap ton more USB-C adapters in customers hands on the Android side.  It's a fair bet that most of iOS's user base has a ton of USB-A adapters but very few USB-C.  Any iOS user wanting to avail themselves of the full usage of Apple's latest offering of MagSafe has to get the new 20W USB-C charger or deal with less than the 15W advertised wireless charging.
    ctt_zhOferBeatsmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Samsung is going to inevitably make the same "for the environment" claim.  
    If they did, it would be credible. Before Apple Samsung removed the headphones from the Note 20 series "for the environment", while shipping free of charge headphones to any customer who asks for it, i.e. no rip-off of customers.

Ofer
  • Reply 9 of 34
    FoodLover said:
    If they did, it would be credible. Before Apple Samsung removed the headphones from the Note 20 series "for the environment", while shipping free of charge headphones to any customer who asks for it, i.e. no rip-off of customers.

Removing headphones from the box and then shipping them anyway is probably more harmful to the environment 
    magman1979ForumPostapplguywatto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 10 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Samsung has a long history of “Mock and Copy” related to Apple so we can expect they will follow Apple’s lead.

Personally, I’d prefer that Apple have an explicit and intentional bundling strategy in place, a sort of BTO or “a la carte,” call it “Apple Ordering Process 2.0” and make it an integral part of the ordering process. To me this would make it feel more like the customer is choosing not to include a charging brick in their purchase rather than Apple pulling it out and customers scrambling to find a charger after the fact. It’s a subtle difference but it makes more sense to me.
    edited October 2020 magman1979Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 34
    crosslad said:
    FoodLover said:

Removing headphones from the box and then shipping them anyway is probably more harmful to the environment 
    I agree, but I expect most customers not to ask for it. I would not have, for instance.
    And by shipping it for free, it does not look like a rip-off. So the environment aspect is at least a bit credible. 
    Ofer
  • Reply 12 of 34
    MacPro said:
    Was there any doubt?  Imagine what computing would look like today if there had never been Apple.
    You have already posted more than 19000 times on this page. If you just read from time to time also other sites, you would have known that this time Apple copied Samsung. But I accept that in your case it is simply too late to convince you from anything.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    dewme said:
    Samsung has a long history of “Mock and Copy” related to Apple so we can expect they will follow Apple’s lead.

But this time Apple copied Samsung.
    I have no idea why the marketing guys from Samsung mocked Apple for somthing they did first.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    FoodLover said:

- Samsung offers all Note 20 buyers a free of charge headphone if they wanted it.

HA HA HA!!!

We found the resident troll for this article...

*points to door*
    BeatsForumPostDancingMonkeyspscooter63watto_cobraJaiOh81
  • Reply 15 of 34
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member

FoodLover said:
    MacPro said:
    You have already posted more than 19000 times on this page. If you just read from time to time also other sites, you would have known that this time Apple copied Samsung. But I accept that in your case it is simply too late to convince you from anything.
    Yup, 110% Scamsung troll, please GTFO
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Good. It never be too late to help save earth.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Samsung game plan: mock to buy time for copying. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    It’s always the same story: Apple makes a change, Samsung (and others) mock them for it, only to promptly copy said move a few months later. Nothing new *rolling eyes*
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    FoodLover said:

Here in Sweden you got headphones in the package when buying Samsung Note 20. So, no, Apple didn't copy Samsung.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 34
    FoodLover said:
    dewme said:

But this time Apple copied Samsung.
    I have no idea why the marketing guys from Samsung mocked Apple for somthing they did first.
    I hope you’re being paid well for all this posting. Jeez. 
    Beatsroundaboutnowwatto_cobra