Apple might soon offer 1TB iPhone storage option

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple might soon offer iPhone buyers a 1TB storage option after years of slowly growing allotments to the current 512GB maximum, according to leaker Jon Prosser.

Prosser hinted at the prospect of a 1TB iPhone in a cryptic tweet on Wednesday.

"[H]ope y'all are ready for 1TB i[P]hones," the tweet reads.

Prosser failed to specify when a more capacious iPhone is expected to launch, though the handset line is due for a storage boost. The tech giant company typically doubles iPhone's top end storage allocation every two years, meaning next year's "iPhone 13" could plausibly introduce a 1TB tier.

Current generation iPhone 12 Pro models, including the iPhone 12 Pro Max, can be configured with capacities up to 512B. For 2020, base storage has been increased to 128GB, up from 64GB with the iPhone 11 Pro.

Apple's iPhone series has been capped at 512GB for three years, with iPhone XS and XS Max being the first handsets to offer the high-end expansion. Prior to those models, iPhone maxed out at 256GB with iPhone 7, 8 and X, and 128GB with the iPhone 6 Plus and 6S Plus.

Extra storage has always been a welcome feature, especially for shutterbugs, but Apple's latest iPhones could soon require larger allotments. This year's iPhone 12 series enables HDR video recording with Dolby Vision -- Pro models support recording up to 60 frames per second -- a capability that results in large media files. Even with cloud storage and 5G, some users will fill up their phone's 512GB reserves in short order.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    When? In a few months to the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max or not until next 2021 Fall’s iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max? I very much want to own a 1 TB iPhone. I have a two year old XS Max that’s 512GB with only 22GB left. But I can’t wait to order the 12 Pro Max based on a MAYBE SOON RUMOR!! Does soon mean a few months or a year from now?
    edited October 2020 cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 22
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    When? In a few months to the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max or not until next 2021 Fall’s iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max? I very much want to own a 1 TB iPhone. I have a two year old XS Max that’s 512GB with only 22GB left. But I can’t wait to order the 12 Pro Max based on a MAYBE SOON RUMOR!! Does soon mean a few months or a year from now?

The tech giant company typically doubles iPhone's top end storage allocation every two years, meaning next year's "iPhone 13" could plausibly introduce a 1TB tier. 

Also, “The tech giant company” LoL 

Beats
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Woowow......you must be a movie maker or pro photographer using that large storage. I have only used 45 gb out of my 256gb, im just a regular user w 200 gb icloud storage....
    twokatmewdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I’ve been wanting this ever since they started going 512GB. I use the cloud for everything...except my music. I have a huge collection that I recently moved to an external hard drive. I just like downloading the music to my phone. Just the obsessive compulsive in me. 1TB would be beautiful. 
    Japheybageljoey
  • Reply 5 of 22
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    My initial reaction is to say that I’ll never need that much storage on my iPhone, but then I once said that I’d never need more than 250 MB of storage on my laptop hard drive. 

Who knows what will be taking up space in the future? Certainly higher resolution photos and videos, maybe even higher quality music files. I wonder what else. 
  • Reply 6 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I wouldn’t wait, especially based on anything that guy says. A TB iPhone is inevitable, he’s probably just hedging his bets by being the first to predict the obvious. If it was coming on the 12, why wouldn’t Apple announce it at the same time as the others? A mid-cycle spec bump would piss a lot of people off, and as far as i can recall, hasn’t been done before (not counting new colors). Most likely next year... along with the Steve Jobs Heritage Glasses. 
    caladanianmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 22
    When I look up in Apple Store app, the iPhone 12 Pro Max doesn’t offer 1 TB. The max capacity is 512GB. How did I found out? Go to that app and tap on “Shop” under iPhone 12 Pro. Then scroll a bit down until you see “pre-order 11.6” in orange letter, iPhone 12 Pro Max, tap on that. Choose which color you want, then tap on Activate My iPhone (if you chose the other option, it’ll ask you which carrier or other option, capacity remain the same anyway) then it’ll show you which capacity they offer. 
  • Reply 8 of 22
    1tb why stop there 2 or 4 is better  move for people with more money than sense. That’s Apple ideal customer is it not. My 256gig easy fine for a while. Middle road storage always a better vfm most of the time.
    twokatmew
  • Reply 9 of 22
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    First - Apple needs to offer USB 3.2 connection speeds. Sure, most of the things are transferred wirelessly, but if I want to sync 1TB media from my Mac, I want to do it faster trough the cable.
    caladanian
  • Reply 10 of 22
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Have you tried reading the article?

The tech giant company typically doubles iPhone's top end storage allocation every two years, meaning next year's iPhone 13 could plausibly introduce a 1TB tier.

edited October 2020
  • Reply 11 of 22
    This article is hopeful until you read “leaker Jon Prosser” 

• Reply 12 of 22
    It would be more impressive if Apple could get us to a stage where storage is unlimited/not specified like with RAM/Battery capacity. Data is either local/in cloud, but all managed in background without being able to tell from a user POV.

(Unless you have no Wifi/Data of course!)

This would never be a priority tho as Apple continue to use storage upsells as a cash cow. 
  • Reply 13 of 22
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    kkqd1337 said:
    It would be more impressive if Apple could get us to a stage where storage is unlimited/not specified like with RAM/Battery capacity. Data is either local/in cloud, but all managed in background without being able to tell from a user POV.
    That's how things have been for years already. If you want to buy a lower-capacity device and rely on iCloud to off-load least-recently-used data, you can do it. But if you want to record and save on-device a lot of files/media/apps for instant access, without having to use wifi/cellular data, buy a higher-capacity model.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    I'd be more interested in a 2TB iPad
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 15 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    When I look up in Apple Store app, the iPhone 12 Pro Max doesn’t offer 1 TB. The max capacity is 512GB. How did I found out? Go to that app and tap on “Shop” under iPhone 12 Pro. Then scroll a bit down until you see “pre-order 11.6” in orange letter, iPhone 12 Pro Max, tap on that. Choose which color you want, then tap on Activate My iPhone (if you chose the other option, it’ll ask you which carrier or other option, capacity remain the same anyway) then it’ll show you which capacity they offer. 
    Yeah, everybody here knows that already. The point of the article and resulting forum posts is that this so called “leaker” is trying to look like he knows something the rest of us don’t. 
  • Reply 16 of 22
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Increase free iCloud storage first Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Japhey said:
    Yeah, everybody here knows that already. The point of the article and resulting forum posts is that this so called “leaker” is trying to look like he knows something the rest of us don’t. 

And when he's wrong he will say "the rumor is apparently for the NEXT iPhone" until he's right.

Here's a "leak" for you:
    The next iPhone will potentially sport an Apple A15 chip. I know because I'm "close to the supply chain".
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 18 of 22
    cpsro said:
    I'd be more interested in a 2TB iPad
    That would be pretty great.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    So could you in the future, in theory, take a 1TB iPhone and run MacOS for Apple silicon on it and desktop class apps like Photoshop and FCP, using Bluetooth for the input devices and Airplay to wirelessly transmit to a display that supports it?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 22
    So could you in the future, in theory, take a 1TB iPhone and run MacOS for Apple silicon on it and desktop class apps like Photoshop and FCP, using Bluetooth for the input devices and Airplay to wirelessly transmit to a display that supports it?
    Or use it as a small nuclear reactor for home heating from the resulting unventilated silicon punishment via Photoshop and FCP.  Bluetooth input devices can double as face shields to help mitigate debris blowback from the inevitable thermonuclear meltdown.  :D :D