Tim Cook reveals 'a few more exciting things' coming from Apple soon

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple CEO Tim Cook has revealed that the company is to bring out more products or services during the rest of 2020 than it has so far announced.

Tim Cook's
Tim Cook's "more exciting things" may refer to the forthcoming Apple Silicon

During its legally-mandated financial earnings call, Tim Cook took the unusual step for Apple of volunteering the information that more is to come. He didn't specify any product or service, but typically Apple avoids saying even as much as he has now.

"Without giving away too much, I can tell you that this year has a few more exciting things in store," he said.

Apple is about to starting taking pre-orders for the iPhone 12 mini, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. Plus a MagSafe duo charger is due shortly, and the Apple One bundle -- plus Apple Fitness -- are expected soon.

Cook was clearly not talking about any of these, however. It's most likely that he was alluding to forthcoming Apple Silicon Macs, but he may also have meant the expected "AirTags."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    "A couple" usually means two. "A few" usually means three.
    williamlondontrackerozAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 37
    AirTags and first ARM MBP would make 2...
    Alex1NBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 37
    I agree fully. I might have said that too, but I like to keep my posts very short whenever possible, because it's harder to be argued against. :-)

I'm confused why nobody is expecting an ASi Mac Mini soon since that's what the Developer Kit physically looked like.
    forgot usernamegregoriusmseanjtrackerozAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 37
    I agree fully. I might have said that too, but I like to keep my posts very short whenever possible, because it's harder to be argued against. :-)

I'm confused why nobody is expecting an ASi Mac Mini soon since that's what the Developer Kit physically looked like.

I am expecting the ARM mini and 12" MB.
    seanjtrackerozAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I’m holding out for the Apple TV refresh. Come on Apple!
    StrangeDayskiehtanAlex1Nsvanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    saarek said:
    I’m holding out for the Apple TV refresh. Come on Apple!
    No doubt. Let’s do this thing. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    Apple car. It’s definitely going to be an Apple car. 
    williamlondoncornchipththumanaftera11JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Agreed. Mac mini makes a lot of sense along side a new MacBook. One to show off what performance we can expect from a “desktop” system and another to show off battery life.

A new mini to replace the Developer’s Kit - for sure, Apple will want to make that available ASAP.

I think a 12” MacBook with A14X-like performance, 15+ hours of battery life, and priced around $800 is going to be a PC laptop killer.
    williamlondonseanjtrackerozAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    • ASi macbook, there could be a Mac mini but I believe Cook’s long term goal has no interest in desktops, he really wants iPad to be the future in an appliance vision of computing. The ASi MacBook will just be another step in that direction. If this theory is right, the first model will not outclass an iPad Pro  in raw performance. This might mean a new iPad Pro as well then.
    • airtags (only threw them in as I am sick of the rumour)
    • New airpods for Christmas.
    Edit: forgot new watch bands and some emoji thingamajigs.
    edited October 2020 williamlondonAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 37
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    AirPower III  :*
    razorpitiOSDevSWEmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 37
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    The reason people aren't expecting an Apple Silicon Mac mini first is because Apple explicitly said that what they shipped was not the first commercial Mac that would have AS in it. That's not to say it couldn't be a Mac mini with a much more optimized A14 chip and other mods in it, but they made clear that the dev kit was just a taster.

I actually expect the first Apple Mac (as I prefer to call them) will be an iMac. I certainly wouldn't mind a revival of the MacBook, but I think that speculation is based on the idea that the A14 chips can't be more powerful than a "real" laptop despite the fact that Ax chips have been more powerful than a lot of the Intel chips for several years now, and that's before redesigning/optimizing for actual notebooks. An A14 with more cores and graphics and power that has been specifically designed for notebooks or desktops should be fully expected to do at least as well as anything Intel has at the moment, IMO.

Would also enjoy seeing an Apple TV (box) update, and the AirTags (finally).
    trackerozAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Big stock plummet after the bell today. Guess they got the news that more things are coming...
    cornchipAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 37
    bijbij Posts: 1member
    "legally-mandated financial earnings call"?  not so much
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 37
    entropys said:
    • ASi macbook, there could be a Mac mini but I believe Cook’s long term goal has no interest in desktops, he really wants iPad to be the future in an appliance vision of computing. The ASi MacBook will just be another step in that direction. If this theory is right, the first model will not outclass an iPad Pro  in raw performance. This might mean a new iPad Pro as well then.
    Interesting, so you think macOS is on the way out since you think "Cook... has no interest in desktops" and "MacBooks... will not outclass an iPad Pro in raw performance." That's a fascinating idea, if it turns out to be right. On the other hand, since desktops have no design limitations on fans/cooling or batteries/power, Apple could give them more power than any iOS device (or laptop.). My money is on this latter theory. The only thing that could stop me from buying an Apple Silicon computer is if your theory is right and Apple intends to cripple desktops.
    edited October 2020 Alex1NtrackeroziOSDevSWEmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 37
    entropys said:
    Interesting, so you think macOS is on the way out since you think "Cook... has no interest in desktops" and "MacBooks... will not outclass an iPad Pro in raw performance." That's a fascinating idea, if it turns out to be right. On the other hand, since desktops have no design limitations on fans/cooling or batteries/power, Apple could give them more power than any iOS device (or laptop.). My money is on this latter theory. The only thing that could stop me from buying an Apple Silicon computer is if your theory is right and Apple intends to cripple desktops.

It’s ridiculous to think Apple is losing interest in the Mac... Craig and Joz both said so and Craig even want so far to call those that continue to think along those lines as “tools”. It’s obvious they are not interesting in phasing out the Mac. First of all, there’s no reason the Mac needs to be dropped in order for the iPad to continue on as an appliance computer. This is the single biggest reason why they have continued to resist morphing  them into one platform. Second, the Mac is a huge business for Apple and continues to grow. Do these people think Apple is going to just drop a product that generates tens of billions a year? I suspect after Intel is finally completely dropped, the prices of Macs will come down as well... especially on the high end, where the CPU alone can cost a couple thousand dollars.
    jdb8167cornchipAlex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    entropys said:
    This doesn’t make much sense. Why would Apple spend billions to create a new line of Mac specific SoCs if they have no interest in Macs? They are creating ASi Macs because Intel isn’t meeting their needs and hasn’t for half a decade. It really isn’t any more complicated than that.
    cornchipAlex1Nrazorpitwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The whole point of ASi is to capitalise on the A series investment, simplify the supply chain, control the whole widget and maximise margins.  
    The ASi macs will be running a Mac OS that is more and more iOS in its underpinnings and function with each new version.  The macs will be more and more locked down....like an iPad.  At what point will an iMac for example really be just a great big iPad? Or a MacBook be an iPad with keyboard welded on? Why buy that when you can get an untinkerable iPad cheap and a magic keyboard for a few hundred extra $ and high margins for Apple?
    edited October 2020 williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 37
    chasm said:
    The reason people aren't expecting an Apple Silicon Mac mini first is because Apple explicitly said that what they shipped was not the first commercial Mac that would have AS in it. That's not to say it couldn't be a Mac mini with a much more optimized A14 chip and other mods in it, but they made clear that the dev kit was just a taster.

That’s not what they said. They said that what’s in the Dev Mac mini would not be indicative of what will ship in a consumer product. It wasn’t a “taster” it is a developer transition kit for Mac developers to get their code ported to ARM and to Apple’s custom GPU’s. Neither of which existed on Macs before and both of which will be available in some form on Apple Silicon SoCs. Just because there’s an A12Z in the Dev kit, it does not mean that Apple plans on using an A-series SoC variant... if that was the case, there’s no reason for them to “rebrand” it as “Apple Silicon” rather than just say “A-series SoC”.
    Alex1Nrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 37
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Big stock plummet after the bell today. Guess they got the news that more things are coming...
    As is tradition.

bij said:
    "legally-mandated financial earnings call"?  not so much
    Great first post, buddy. Looking fwd to many more... 

razorpitwilliamlondonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 37
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Gotta be brutally honest here. Nothing one more exciting thing has come from Tim Cook yet. Apple still has good products, but nothing exciting. Especially if you contrast that to cars that drive themselves, rockets that land, most of all which most of us probably don’t  stop and think about; batteries powerful cheap and small enough to create née ways of personal transport.