Notifications repeatedly tell iOS 14 beta testers to download nonexistent update

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2020
Users evaluating the latest iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 beta versions are encountering an apparent bug that instructs the download of a new software version, though such an update does not exist.

iOS 14 Beta Notification
Source: Luis Angel Santos/Twitter

A number of beta testers are seeing incessant prompts to upgrade from iOS 14 beta despite running the most up-to-date version, according to reports on Twitter, Reddit and other social media outlets.

"A new iOS update is now available. Please update from the iOS 14 beta," the pop-up reads.

Selecting "Close" will disable the notification, at least for a short time. Some users report the alert reappears upon unlocking iPhone or when visiting Notification Center. Apple has not commented on the issue, though it is assumed that current beta versions include a faulty expiration date.

The problem has been sporadic over the past weeks, but seemingly increased in intensity today.

Beta testers faced an identical situation in 2018 with iOS 12 beta variants. That issue was caused by an apparent coding error that assigned an incorrect expiration date to then-current betas. Reading the expiry date as valid, the operating system would automatically prompt users to download a newer version.

With the iOS 12 beta, users found a workaround by disabling automatic time settings and rolling back their handset's internal clock. Whether the drastic technique works with iOS 14 beta's bug is unknown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Me every time I unlock my iPhone. SMH
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Same darn problem, whenever I switch to another app or unlock my phone. 😩
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Thank you! It’s been driving me nuts for a few days and it’s gotten incessant today. 
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Every time I unlock my iPhone, I get it. 
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Just tested the fix suggested in the article and it works! Set the date as yesterday (or further- tested rolling the clock back 24hrs, 48hrs, and 1 month back) and the problem disappears. Cheers!
  • Reply 6 of 41
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    Still sloppy on apple's part.  But no body's perfect and they are allowed to make mistakes, I guess.  I still have not upgraded to that version.  I will wait for the official bug fix from apple.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Yeah, both on my iPhone and iPad. Having the problem since last week, but only a couple of times until late yesterday afternoon. Then today, about four times for the phone and at least a half dozen for the iPad.
    wg45678
  • Reply 8 of 41
    I left the beta program a week ago, but interestingly I also receive this faulty reminder. 
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Erroneous duplicate comment
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 10 of 41
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 11 of 41
  • Reply 12 of 41
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    KTR said:
    Still sloppy on apple's part.  But no body's perfect and they are allowed to make mistakes, I guess.  I still have not upgraded to that version.  I will wait for the official bug fix from apple.
     I know, right??  
    What Apple SHOULD do is have a program where people could volunteer to download the software BEFORE they foist it on Beta testers.  I mean, how can they send out unpolished software to the a group of volunteers who are using the software early to help Apple catch errors before it is released?????
    flyingdprazorpitllamatokyojimuMplsP
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Just tested the fix suggested in the article and it works! Set the date as yesterday (or further- tested rolling the clock back 24hrs, 48hrs, and 1 month back) and the problem disappears. Cheers!
    I tested this suggested and the problem disappears , BUT this suggestion is not feasible, as you need the actual date

Thx bro ♥️
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 14 of 41

when i put the time back to normal i keep getting it what do i do

• Reply 15 of 41
    The only thing to do is wait till Apple sends out an update. 
  • Reply 16 of 41
    So glad to know I'm not alone. This has been driving me crazy. While rolling the time back seems to solve it, apps that require the correct time (e.g. Twitter) stop working. Not all beta versions are created equal, that's for sure, and it's the risk we take on as beta testers. 
    edited October 2020 flyingdp
  • Reply 17 of 41
    It is indeed super annoying. But that’s part of betas... if you can’t live with bugs that betas brings, you probably shouldn’t be beta tester. I am beta testing various software/apps for more than 20 years. And part of this life are strange errors, bugs, crashes... only way to get rid of bugs is correctly report them... 
    razorpitllama
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Blue microphone icon appears in the upper right corner on my iPad mini running beta iOS. This view prompts me what apps are using my microphone if I go into control center. Nothing is there though.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    I couldn't take the message any more. I restored my iPhone to iOS 14.1. All is good now -- no data/apps were lost.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    ClemHarveyClemHarvey Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Pretty sure it is some what related to date. In iOS 12 (mentioned here), when it happened, it was end of August / start of Sep. now its end of Oct.
    The triggers is the same, invoke notification centre, which is why it happens when you unlock your phone. Classic bug!